+ Reply to Thread

"File as" in GMail doesnn't affect G1 contacts(?)

I'm writing because the contacts system on my Android is a bit of a mess and I'm trying to work it out. Generally speaking, I try to save as much information as I can on my contacts within their entries. To that end, I almost always use full names (including middle names and titles) in the Name field, and then use "File As" for the name I'm most likely to call them- for example, say I have a friend named Alexander Joseph Johnson III. I'll save that name because there are occasions or mailings where it would be useful to know his full name. But since I just call him "Alex Johnson" usually, I will use "File As" to make note of that. It works perfectly fine in gmail, and it is a necessary trick when I import from Outlook, which has many more fields than Gmail does.

The problem is, I can't seem to find any way to make G1 recognize the "File as field"- so, when I want to make a call to Alex, I have to look for Alexander. And if I receive a message from him, it takes up the whole screen! Even worse, if I happened to use the "Title" field in Outlook prior to exporting it (which I do to keep track of who prefers to be a Dr., a Mr., a Ms., or a Miss), it screws up the alphabetizing completely because the phone seems to interpret that as a first name.

Does anybody else have this issue? Is there some setting I'm missing?

Unhappy "File As" contacts sync

I'm having the same issue with my G2. Did you ever find a solution to this? Thanks.