+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AppShare and Installous (IPA Repo) with Screenshots

I wrote a few weeks back about an IPA repo. It is up and running and it is incredible. You have to sign up for the forum, because your username and password of the forum are incorporated in the URL to add this source to Cydia. They have two programs among many in their repo called Installous and AppShare. Appshare is a repository for all the apps in the Apple AppStore, however they are all cracked and in IPA form. Appshare is basically a website with links to the IPA files in the various file sharing websites. There are two main sources inside AppShare. You just click on the link and it gives you a choice to download or install. If you download the IPA, it saves it to a folder that Installous is linked to. If you choose to install it, AppShare automatically kicks in Installous and you see it unzipping, installing, and then redoing the properties to 0777 or 0755, or whatever. I can't vouch for the safety of the files, but if you wanted to try some of the apps that you otherwise would never buy, this is the place.

Yes this is stealing, but it is just like the whole music download scruples question. If the stuff is good enough I will buy it...otherwise I would never even give it the time of day. The music industry acts like if it weren't for illegal downloads they would have illegal downloads times the price of a song or CD back in their bank accounts. How many downloads introduced artists to people and spurned sales that might otherwise have never taken place.....anyway off on a tangent. Check out the IPA Repo at Xsellize.
    Last edited by riley2323; 11-10-2008 at 10:19 AM.

I not quite sure why there were no responses. I thought this was a good find...it is a treasure trove of completely free apps. I did spell xsellize incorrectly....maybe everyone googled it and could not find what the heck I was talking about....doubt it, but just in case here is the link:

Repo - XSellize

I have also put some sceen shots. This software is one button download...no changing properties, and no moving files around.

Last edited by riley2323; 11-10-2008 at 10:36 AM.

does your phone have to be jail broken in order to do this?

Yes it does...and I believe you need Cydia too, you must then add a new source at this address:

The last part of the URL is your username and password to the forum.

http://xsellize.com/cydia/user-pass/

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    ok I went into Cyndia and when to Manage-> Sources and added the site.

Now how do I see the apps on this site?

I dont see repo called Installous and AppShare.
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 11-11-2008 at 03:19 PM.

JMT
    Mark, I'm not the expert but maybe in can speak in beginners terms better that we both understand. I may have done it all backwards, but it did kinda work. I installed 3 apps from Cydia that made the whole package work.

Assuming you entered the correct source with your own username and password, you should get a lot of new "changes" in Cydia. You'll want to install Auto IPA Installer and the "IPA Prep" program that is applicable to your iPhone software version....probably IPA Prep 2. And install a program called X-IPA Between these 3 apps, you should get one icon your Springboard called Xipa. I don't know if all 3 of these are required, I do know at least 2 are.

When you click on the XIPA icon, you should get an installer info screen. Just click install. IF you have downloaded any IPAs, they will install. If you have not downloaded any IPAs, it will take you to Safari and give you a few links to IPA sources. From there, click on one of the choices and you will get an IPA site with a list of programs. Download the program you want. After it is downloaded, go back to the XIPA icon on your Springboard and click install again. This time it will find a program waiting to be installed and will install it instead of taking you to Safari. It will let you know when the installation is complete. From there, the downloaded app should be on your Springboard.

Riley can correct me where I'm wrong or took too many steps.

I found the process to be a kind of a slow and fragile and unorganized mess, in addition to being direct abuse of the digital millennium copyright act, so I'm out of the game. Personally, my feeling is that the App Store programs should have a try before you buy and this satisfies that preference. If you can make it a productive part of your lifestyle, good for you. I hope you at least figure out how to make it work. That was half the fun for me.
    Last edited by JMT; 11-11-2008 at 09:44 PM.

I can't disagree with anything JMT said, but the way I did it was completely different, but with obviously the same end results. I wasn't professing to be an expert, only an expert on how to become an expert, hence the links to the repo web site.

Forgive me, but I did omit a step or two. I remembered the results in the screenshots above being self explanatory, but when trying to recount the steps I took.....I'm a little fuzzy.

I downloaded "Repo prep" from Xsellize and I also added the source Hackulo.us, which I believe came from the Xsellize source. Hackulo.us is where Appshare and Installous came from. Appshare is about 75% similar to Cydia, and Installous is the other 25%. Appshare has a lot of "Safari" built into it, and it allows you to download files similar to the Safari download plug-in. It also seemlessly calls up Installous for the other 25% if you will.

I guess this is more complicated than I made it seem. I really just remembered downloading the RepoPrep file, but obviously the Hackulo.us was important.

JMT is correct in that it is piracy in one form or another, but it also gets software downloaded that might otherwise go undiscovered. I have downloaded my fair share for free and paid for my fair share as well, both on the AppStore and in Cydia. How many times will I have to pay for Tetris in my life time?

This is fun and will keep you busy for a week or two, to highlight JMT's point.

One point that is missed in all this, which I wrote about earlier, is that it give the developers that launch their apps in cydia another avenue....the ipa avenue. This allows the illegal, according to Apple, apps to be synced and also to be deleted right from the springboard. In other words you don't have to go back into Cydia to uninstall. This of course has pros and cons.
    Last edited by riley2323; 11-11-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Thumbs up

ok I got it to work!

Thanks all!

I installed Moto Chaser.
    It's a fun game.
    I will try it out for a week and either buy it or remove from my device.

Mark

See this is a good thing!!!!!!!!!!

My little liked the game I installed so we bought it for her unJBed iPhone.

JMT
    I noticed Moto Chaser was on sale for 99 cents. I hope you got it for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT View Post
    Thanks for the tip. How can I resist a 99 cent game that looks like so much fun. Just downloaded it and gave it a try. I think my kids will love it.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JMT View Post
    Yes I did.

Chopper: Real nice game with many skill levels.

Mission 22: Is ok but I like Chopper better. This games is the same thing over and over again.

After jb to 2.2 that apps show up in iTunes but will not reinstal on your iPhone becuse they fail validation.

If you are jailbroken just open cydia and install mobileinstallation patch and then it should work.. It worked for me.. good luck..
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 11-24-2008 at 07:31 AM.

This is another good site to learn how to do this:

Installing ipa on the iPhone, Step by Step Guide | The iPhone

Brothers In Arms

This is a great Game!

I will be testing it for one more week and then I'm going to buy it from the Apple Store.

I didn't see where you said this, but I think the fastest way to do any of this is to just copy the ipa into your Root/User/Library/Downloads folder in DiskAid.
    All you need is Diskaid and Appulous.

Worrrddd.

The fastest way is Installous....word dawg!

Or perhaps even faster is mega4i.com.

Installous always look in the folder u mention above.