Closed Thread

iProb8's 3G & 3GS iPhone FAQs

When he was actively moderating the i760 forum, mrailing started a thread for FAQs. Lacking time, he didn't necessarily put all the answers to the FAQs in the FAQs thread itself, but he did add links to the threads where the answers were. I found the FAQs thread to be extraordinarly helpful in finding answers to questions--especially when I knew the question had been asked and answered but didn't want to dig (or search) a bunch of threads.

Well, I have been meaning to try to create an iPhone 3G FAQs thread myself, but have lacked the time. Thus, I thought I would start out with something similar to the FAQs thread from the i760 forum.

I'm going to sticky this thread and lock it so only the mods can edit it. I'll update it with links as I find them. Other mods are free to add to this thread as appropriate. Keep in mind that this thread is intended simply to be an index of sorts, nothing more.

EDIT--June 16, 2009: I've changed the name of this thread to reflect it includes FAQS pertaining to not only the iPhone 3G but also the iPhone 3GS
    Last edited by iProb8; 06-17-2009 at 12:49 AM.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

List of FAQs and Links to Answers

• How do I get the battery meter to show % of battery remaining? First, you must have the 3.0 firmware. If you do, go Settings-->General-->Usage. The first item you will see is a toggle for "Battery Percentage."
    Last edited by iProb8; 11-14-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

3GS Specific Questions

• When will the 3GS be available? For those of us in the U.S., it will be available in Apple and AT&T stores on June 19, 2009. It can be pre-ordered priot to that date.
    • What are the specifications of the 3GS? See this thread for a link to a T-Mobile (Netherlands) webpage that provides some specifications for the 3GS.
    Last edited by iProb8; 06-17-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    -Jay

Tethering with 3.0 Firmware

To enable tethering on an iPhone that has been upgraded to the 3.0 firmware, do the following:

On your iPhone, go to the following link:

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/tethering-activation-039hack039-found-once-again-for-iphone-30?

1. Find the blue hyper link in the last sentence of the posting called 'this link'.
    2. Click on the link and the profile will install.
    3. After it is done reboot your iPhone.

(Thanks to Mark_A_K for this synoposis.)
    -Jay

Enable MMS on a 3.0.x iPhone (before AT&T officially supports MMS)

This post contains a link to instructions for how you can enable MMS on an iPhone running the 3.0.x firmware even though AT&T currently does not officially support MMS on the iPhone. Please note that, to use this method, you will need, among other things, a non-iPhone AT&T phone.
    -Jay

Jailbreak an iPhone/iPod Touch running 3.1 firmware--Blackra1n

To jailbreak an iPhone running the 3.1 firmware, download a program called Blackra1n from blackra1n. Currently (as of 10/13/09), the program is available only for PCs, but GeoHot, who wrote the program, might be developing a Mac version (we'll have to wait and see). In the meantime, Mac users can use Blackra1n with a Mac booted into Windows using Boot Camp (but Blackra1n does not seem to work under a virtual Windows environment, such as Parallels).

After downloading Blackra1n, be sure your iPhone is updated to the latest 3.1.x firmware (as of 10/13/09, Blackra1n supports 3.1.2). Then, connect your iPhone to your PC (or Mac running Boot Camp). Next, start Blackra1n. From there, follow the simple instructions. The whole process should take now more than a minute or two. Now, enjoy the world of a jailbroken iPhone.

There is one potential issue with Blackra1n: If you jailbreak using Blackra1n, you will not be able to unlock your iPhone (i.e., use it with a carrier other than AT&T). Thus, if think you might ever want to unlock your iPhone, don't use Blackra1n to jailbreak; instead, use PwnageTool.

For more information about Blackra1n, see this thread.
    Last edited by iProb8; 10-13-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    -Jay

Jailbreak 3.1.2 using Pwnage Tool 3.1.4

Well, just as soon as I posted about Blackra1n, I learned that the Dev Team has released Pwnage Tool 3.1.4, which will work on the iPhone 2G/3G/3GS and iPod Touch 1G/2G running 3.1.2 firmware. One big advantage that Pwnage Tool has over Blackra1n is that Pwnage Tool allows the iPhone to be unlocked whereas Blackra1n does not. Thus, if you ever want to be able to use your iPhone on a carrier other than AT&T, use Pwnage Tool, not Blackra1n, to jailbreak your iPhone.

PwnageTool 3.1.14 is being hosted on several sites. However, this is the official Bittorrent link.

Oh yeah, right now (10/13/09), PwnageTool is available only for the Mac, but I'm sure a PC version will be out soon.
    -Jay