+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Audiovox PPC 4100 Comes to AT&T Wireless in June

Audiovox Communications Corporation, a majority owned subsidiary of Audiovox Corporation and AT&T Wireless announced today the PPC 4100, an integrated wireless PDA phone featuring Windows Mobile software, will be available in June 2004 and showcased for the first time today at Microsoft's Tech Ed conference in San Diego, CA. The PPC 4100 will be available for $349 after a $50 instant rebate. The unmatched combination of power, function and form makes this competitively priced "all-in-one" device one of the best values on the market today.

View Full for more information on this new Pocket PC based pdaPhone...
    Mike - Been Converged?

Lightbulb

Sounds interesting!!. I wonder if un-locked versions will show up soon after that?
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Below is the full press release, announced today...

The Audiovix PPC 4100 will be a welcome site to current Siemens SX-56 customers that were orphaned by AT&T Wireless's move to rollout the 850Mhz spectrum. Other than that, its features and functions are similar to SX-56, and lag some of the newer devices like the rumored product that T-Mobile is planning to rollout in June, and the XDA II being rolled out internationally. It's price point appears to be good, however, and with a big marketing push from AT&T Wireless, it will probably be a success.

The PPC 4100 adds SDIO support, 64MB of RAM, and Windows Mobile 2003, all much needed enhancements over the SX-56. It also has a rocker switch on the side that may provide some enhanced usability for one handed operation, depending on how well it has been integrated in to the user interface model. While it has a more compact package than the SX-56, it retained the antenna stub that many newer devices have integrated into the body.

This is a tri-band phone, 850/1800/1900Mhz. This will limit it's attactiveness as a world phone since it lacks 900Mhz.

Here is the full press release...
    HAUPPAUGE, NY - Audiovox Communications Corporation, a majority owned subsidiary of Audiovox Corporation (NASDAQ: VOXX) and AT&T Wireless (NYSE: AWE) announced today the PPC 4100, an integrated wireless PDA phone featuring Windows Mobile software, will be available in June 2004 and showcased for the first time today at Microsoft's Tech Ed conference in San Diego, CA. The PPC 4100 will be available for $349 after a $50 instant rebate. The unmatched combination of power, function and form makes this competitively priced "all-in-one" device one of the best values on the market today.

The device was also named a finalist for the Best of TechEd 2004 Awards conducted by Windows & .NET Magazine and SQL Server Magazine. Winners will be announced May 26th.

The PPC 4100 is a tri-band (850/1800/1900 MHZ) GSM™/GPRS Pocket PC from AT&T Wireless which allows users to enjoy international roaming capabilities and experience enhanced coverage and quality services from recent AT&T Wireless network upgrades.

The PPC 4100 runs Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PCs on a 400 MHz, Intel XScale® technology based processor to create a powerful mobile computing experience that combines the capabilities of a PDA with integrated wireless voice and data capabilities. With 64MB RAM and 64 ROM and built-in SD/MMC expansion slot, the PPC 4100 also facilitates easy storage of and access to large files.

"The collaboration between AT&T Wireless, Microsoft and Intel has opened the door of mobile computing to a wide range of professionals looking for the latest in software and hardware innovations," said Philip Christopher, president and CEO of Audiovox Communications Corporation.

"The new Audiovox PPC 4100 Pocket PC builds further on our joint commitment to bring mobile professionals powerful tools that help them stay productive virtually anywhere their work takes them," said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president, Business Data Solutions for AT&T Wireless Services. "This all-in-one mobile device runs over the recently expanded GSM™/GPRS network - which now spans approximately 1.2 million square miles in the U.S. - so customers can use the PPC 4100 in more places than ever before."

With Windows Mobile 2003 software, the PPC 4100 delivers a great messaging and e-mail experience that enables wireless access to corporate e-mail and POP3 e-mail accounts. Using Exchange Server 2003, or AT&T Wireless alliance solutions such as GoodLink from Good Technology, enterprise customers benefit from always up-to-date e-mail synchronization. For mobile professionals, the PPC 4100 coupled with AT&T Wireless' Office Online solution provides economical wireless access to work e-mail, calendar and contacts and the ability to receive alerts when important e-mail arrives.

"With the integration of Windows Mobile 2003 software, PPC 4100 customers benefit from a powerful and familiar wireless experience," said Scott Horn, director of marketing for the Mobile and Embedded Devices Division at Microsoft Corp. "By offering seamless integration between voice and data functionality customers are able to stay connected and in touch while on the go."

With Windows Mobile 2003 software, customers will benefit from enhancements to the operating system including:

"Always-on" Data Connection. The new software enables an "always-on" wireless data connection that dramatically improves application startup.
    Windows Media Player 9. Offering an improved multimedia experience, the device supports Windows Media Audio and Video 9 Series, with improved play list management and support for Microsoft® Plus! Digital Media Edition.
    Improved SMS Integration. Inbox will look for the phone number on an incoming short message service (SMS) message in the Contacts database and display the sender's name if there is a match. An option to call back the sender of an SMS has been added to the SMS notification screen and to Inbox. The SMS account in Inbox is now available when the radio is offline.
    Phone Mute and Volume Control. New dual volume control separates the phone's ringer volume and the Pocket PC's system volume so users can choose their ideal sound level.
    "The PPC 4100 offers enhanced handset capabilities enabled by the Intel XScale® technology, such as photo, video, and music processing, all while using less power and providing a greater degree of function," said Mark Johnston, director of marketing for Intel's Cellular and Handheld Group. Intel XScale® processors are the next generation of ultra-low power processors with industry-leading multimedia performance for wireless clients that integrate a host of new features that make end devices compelling, entertaining and more mobile while delivering an unparalleled handheld user experience.

The new PPC 4100 will be available in retail outlets across the country in June.

It will come with an AC adaptor, USB Cradle, single ear bud headset, a leather pouch as well as a Stylus pen. For more information, please visit www.audiovox.com or www.attwireless.com.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Looks like AT&T Wireless will offer Good Technology's GoodLink with the PPC 4100.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.as...ance&industry=
    Mike - Been Converged?

Thumbs down How hard would it be to do it right?

Could it be that difficult?

All I want is a Pocket PC Phone that has:[list=a][*]Bluetooth, so I can use a wireless headset without having to add a dongle[*]A CF card, so I can add a 4GB microdrive and have a lot of storage[/list=a]
    I was excited over the last few weeks hearing the rumors that ATT Wireless was coming out with a new Pocket PC Phone, only to have my hopes shattered (again).

CF in a PDA Phone seems unlikely given the amount of space the CF slot takes up compared to a SDIO slot.
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.

Hmm, 3 hours talk time, 4 days standby and 10 hours pda? Divide that by two which is the typical over statement most device makers and you get another device with worthless battery life. I equate that to "not wireless" Why doesn't anyone care about battery life? Why is everyone settling for running to a wall outlet every day with their pda? Remember the old Palm? 2 AAA batteries and months of battery life. Hell even a calculator goes for years.

I don't think that charging every night is that big of an issue... Now if it can't make it through the day, then that's another story. I would be surprised if this guy can't do the day, given the quoted numbers. I am currently using a Blackberry, and it can go several days on a charge, but the screen is dreadful in comparison to a Pocket PC. I would gladly take the better display over the battery life. But, everyone is going to ahve different needs.

I second the notion that a CF slot in a pdaPhone isn't likely to be a standard feature. Your only option there is going to be something like the XDA II/iMate which allows you to do CF in a sled.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I wouldn't mind a short battery life so much if the device wouldn't lose all data when the battery goes dead. My cell phone lasts a week between charges. If it does go dead, you just plug it in and continue. It doesn' lose my phone directory. It doesn't lose the network config. A PPC loses everything. Backup programs aren't 100%. Activesync still has a fit and cdb files get all goofed up. I'm rambling... wishing for a PDA with non volitile memory.

I just got back from the AT&T Wireless store here in Milpitas,CA. Had a very good conversation with a gentleman named Jason. Very helpful and knowledgeable in PDA's!!!. I got to play with the 4100 for a LONG,LONG time. Accessed the internet.. checked out the basic programs that come with it. It did have the 03 Windows Mobile. It does seem faster than Samsung i700. It is definitely smaller in size compared to the i700. SD slot is on the top. Thumb-wheel on the side, ON-OFF button below the volume control button the same side as the thumbwheel, ie; to the right side of the device. Speaker phone is terrible... Send and End buttons are raised a little bit and are in the bottom. I tried putting it in the case and it sure bumps the buttons. It does feel like a very lite PDA in the hand. I guess I am used to the heavy i700 and may be I equate the weight with being a GOOD PDA. It sure is lighter than my i700!!!. I miss the navigation buttons!!!. It is all done thru stylus or thumb-wheel. I am sure there will be some hack-program to make the thumb-wheel work for all applications.
    Now...after having held it in my hand....played with it...made some calls.... I will keep my Samsung a little bit longer and keep biting my nails till the upgrade finally shows up(fingers crossed).
    Yep..no bluetooth The charge cable feels so sloppy when plugged in... I suppose the Always-On feature might be somebody's cup of tea. May be I will wait for the Motorola V710!!. Overall it is a good phone all said and done. If I were to rate this on a scale of one to ten...I would put this around a seven!!!!. Sure every converged device is going to have some quirks... at least this has the least!!!. Darn.. PIE worked flawlessly..must be the 03 enhancements!!!.
    Seriously..if any one is thinking of buying this and if they are around the Bay Area in No.CA..contact Jason Eder at 408-942.7570..he is one awesome guy who knows PDA's and Phones. I wish a VZW store I have to deal with had a person like him!! I know this is a plug here, but I thought it was worth giving credit to some one we rarely find at these kind of stores!!!
    Last edited by equus; 06-12-2004 at 04:07 PM.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

what about rrecording a call

Originally posted by equus
    . . . Speaker phone is terrible... !
    the speaker phone might be bad, but did you enquire as to recording both sides of a phone call? Vvery useful if recieving driving instructions, and SOP when talking to the NYMEX floor; and something verizon disabled on the i700

Re: what about rrecording a call

Originally posted by amc3141
    the speaker phone might be bad, but did you enquire as to recording both sides of a phone call? Vvery useful if recieving driving instructions, and SOP when talking to the NYMEX floor; and something verizon disabled on the i700
    No phone conversation recording Plus the Good Link technology is not there yet I was told that it is being looked into and might be a feature they will provide in the near FUTURE if the demand swells up for it. So I guess here we go again swarming the AT&T people with requests

First Impressions of AT&TW 4100!!.

Early Warning System....

Cradle contacts are the worst I have seen in my life. What the heck were Audiovox engineers thinking
    Stylus For a $400 PDA/Phone a flimsy plastic stylus...come on Audiovox you can do better. At least it kind of fits pretty cool along with the antenna!!!You can barely tell there's a stylus stuck next to it.
    Power charger contacts This is unbelievable folks.. it looks like it will break if you look at it the wrong way...

The GOOD
    User Manual... 310 pages!!!!!
    Quick Start Guide...18 pages.
    Back-up Battery will hold data for a maximum of thirty minutes before the dreaded HR happens to you..
    MUST CHARGE the device for EIGHT hours when you first get it so the Internal battery is fully charged!!!
    here's a cool link they have from AT&TW
    http://www.attwireless.com/pocketpcsolutions/
    this is to set up whats called Office on-line. Doing it wirelessly.
    So, I have a long ways to still test this. I have 30 days to return. Just got the GSM America National Plan for $39.99 which gives me 450 minutes..which includes roaming,Nationwide Long distance, Night and Weekend minutes and UnLimited Mobile to Mobile.
    Also got the Unlimited Data Package for $39.99.
    I have taken some pictures and will try to upload and give the link to where they are later. Oh by the way the Rep. was so helpful and he even waived the extra charge for a special number.. I got xxx.0014... I was trying for 4100, but that was taken and this was all I could get. Just spells 4100 backwards!!!.

Talking Congrats!!

Equus, congratulations on your purchase of the 4100 and your switch to AT&T! Funny you switched this weekend, so did I! I too joined AT&T for the 39.99 GSM america plan, plus a second line for my woman. Also got 100 bonus minutes each month, and unlimited mMode internet for anotehr $24.99. Not sure how long I will keep the internet portion though, but it sounded like a great deal.

I have decided to go unconverged at least for the next week or two while I evaluate their service. I got a hell of a deal from Best Buy... Motorola v600 bluetooth phone for $99, my womans Samsung (gak!) x426 for free, a free motorola bluetooth headset for my phone, and my first months bill paid by Best Buy. I had a real difficult time passing it up.

As far as my initial impressions with AT&T's service, my phone worked at our camp! It didn't work perfectly, but if I stood out in the open away from any structures I could make and receive calls just fine, couldn't do that with VZW. I was in fact on Cingulars network which didn't surprise me. Checking e-mail in was a thrill there, even though it was using the stupid handset/mMode app. I just picked up an iPAQ 2215 and I'm going to see if I can access the net with it and mMode. Have no idea at this point.. But if all else fails, and you like your 4100 I may pick one up!
    Boardoo - Managed Forum, Web, and Blog hosting solutions.

Re: Congrats!!

Originally posted by shackrat
    Equus, congratulations on your purchase of the 4100 and your switch to AT&T! Funny you switched this weekend, so did I! I too joined AT&T for the 39.99 GSM america plan, plus a second line for my woman. Also got 100 bonus minutes each month, and unlimited mMode internet for anotehr $24.99. Not sure how long I will keep the internet portion though, but it sounded like a great deal.

I have decided to go unconverged at least for the next week or two while I evaluate their service. I got a hell of a deal from Best Buy... Motorola v600 bluetooth phone for $99, my womans Samsung (gak!) x426 for free, a free motorola bluetooth headset for my phone, and my first months bill paid by Best Buy. I had a real difficult time passing it up.

As far as my initial impressions with AT&T's service, my phone worked at our camp! It didn't work perfectly, but if I stood out in the open away from any structures I could make and receive calls just fine, couldn't do that with VZW. I was in fact on Cingulars network which didn't surprise me. Checking e-mail in was a thrill there, even though it was using the stupid handset/mMode app. I just picked up an iPAQ 2215 and I'm going to see if I can access the net with it and mMode. Have no idea at this point.. But if all else fails, and you like your 4100 I may pick one up!
    WOW, thats scary we switch over the same time!!!. It sure seems like you got a hell of a deal!!!. I will try this out and see, how the service is gonna be and if there are a lot of dropped calls its going right back to AT&T!!!. Free Motorola BT Headset!!!! dude awesome... first month free!!! yeah I see what you mean by cannot pass up deal!!!. OW... Samsung again!!!! Hey if she wants my Kyocera 6035 I will sell it cheap...its Palm OS though..kind of bulky..may be a lady may not like that form factor.. but it works perfect everytime....Yeah we will stay converged OK?

Wink Not unconverging, exactly..

I wouldn't call what I'm doing unconverging, since the iPAQ will be able to talk to the motorola phone, and hopefully the motorola headset will talk to the iPAQ. If anything, I'm becoming more converged in a connected since, but unconverged in a device sense.

It is funny that we both switched over the same weekend. In my case I had to drive to a different Best Buy to get the headset since the local one was out of stock and not doing rain checks. Luckily the Best Buy that had them wasn't far out of the way of how we get to camp so I didn't mind the extra drive.

Funny thing, we were supposed to get the 50 bonus minute deal, but the gal from AT&T couldn't get it to go on our account, but she was able to get us the 100 bonus minute code to go on. It made it all worthwhile.

Thanks for the offer of the 6035, but my woman has no interest in a pdaPhone, I've tried quite and failed in the past to introduce her to them. She likes her little samsung, but it doesn't get as good of a signal as the mot v600.

So, how's the 4100?
    Boardoo - Managed Forum, Web, and Blog hosting solutions.