+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking I think I like it!!!!!

More I keep playing with stuff on this the more I like it. Yes, whoever they used to Beta-Test these must have been real Techy-Geeks like us, cause all the things we have been asking VZW or Samsung to do on the i700....its in here. I hate to sound like the old commercial...do you all remember the Ragu Spaghetti Sauce commercial....ITS IN HERE....yep, its in here..
    No..page not found errors on PIE..https logs on smooth...bank web address took me in right up, no hang-ups... logged on to my earthlink account..checked mail got 26 messages 19 with attachments...went staright to SD storage card...some with pictures... man I am gonna have a stroke playing with this... its got what the i700 aint got...darn if VZW didn't screw with us...ah well may be it was for the better... I am not gonna give up on the i700 yet...I have to still check the battery power in this..I recall my first week with the 2032 battery lasted 40 minutes!!!. I am really happy with the i700 stay power.. have to wait on this 4100..screen resolution is about the same..clear.. I have the SD card from the i700 in this and guess what not a darn hiccup when I inserted the card!!!! man what a relief... just to show you how goofy I was... I kept taking the card in and out about 50 times just so I could savor the smile and the relief of watching the unit not choke and die. I dare not do that with the old 02 in the i700.
    ActiveSync was a breeze...you guys will not believe if I tell you I did not even open the CD that came with it. I did not even delete the files in my old AS which I had just got thru syncing the i700. Plugged the USB... WIN xp said found new USB device... ID it as Audiovox 4100 Pocket PC device... AS screen came up and asked me with a smile(Iam making this smile part up) did I want to set a partnership? I said Oh yes why surely...it asked me is the name of the device Equus? I said yes..yes..thats it..and AS said thank you and you are ready to go sync your AS away...man this is good..its the damn Mobile 03 that MS fixed.. I remove the 4100 from the cradle...put the i700 in its cradle... do you want to set up a new partnership I wipe my face of the smile..walk out for a small break..chop some wood with the shotgun...come back and hug my wife and say Honey you are the best, and I have a BBBIIIGGGGGG Mouth.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Have you had a chance to test to see how long the battery lasts?

Have you found that you have to do fewer soft resets with the 4100 compared to the i700?

What do you think of the overall quality of the 4100 compared to the i700? Do you think it will hold up under heavy use?

Originally posted by apdageek
    Have you had a chance to test to see how long the battery lasts?

Have you found that you have to do fewer soft resets with the 4100 compared to the i700?

What do you think of the overall quality of the 4100 compared to the i700? Do you think it will hold up under heavy use?
    Battery will get its first test today..
    I have not done a Soft-Reset yet...even after installing all the programs I had on the i700 transferred over.
    Honestly..i700 is more rugged than 4100.
    Quality...personally i700 seems to be better..I say this because the Jog-Dial feels like it might just fall off..stylus is very,very loose in the slot...the button to lock the phone is very tight and sometimes I feel it is jammed and does not want to move.
    Screen seems like it has a lot of loose-tension.. I mean every time I tap on the screen the film dips down a little.
    Other than that it has never crashed yet.. Awesome Browsing experience..no PIE freezes.No Sync problems.. I guess I was wrong on the SpeakerPhone..It does work good...
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Thanks for answering my questions equus.

I'm evaluating the 4100 myself and I like it a lot. But I do have concerns about the quality and how well it will hold up.

Equus, glad to hear that you are doing well with the New device. I am thinking of bringing one in again if you know what I mean. I happened to the 4100 and agree that the basic build quality is not up to Samsung standards. Not really sure if Audiovox's support will be any better, but as long as your happy, who can complain. Anyways, keep us informed and let me know when you are going to be in Town.....

Happy days.
    Currently using: V710 again and Razr V3(unlocked) through T-mobile. Treo 650 - Returned before 15 day trial due to too many problems. Former Samsung-SPH-i700, SCH-E170. Verizon I waiting for the i730 Camera version.... Please hurry.... Need it for the picture messaging...

Equus,

Would you recommed the 4100 still? I'm thinking of getting one but my concerns are some comments made about the quality and I read somewhere that the users manual doesn't suggest using the unit up to your ear to talk but rather use the speakerphone or headset. Have you noticed any issues with it. Also, If anyone else it having ANY problems whatsever, please post.
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

Originally posted by EvilHomer
    Equus,

Would you recommed the 4100 still? I'm thinking of getting one but my concerns are some comments made about the quality and I read somewhere that the users manual doesn't suggest using the unit up to your ear to talk but rather use the speakerphone or headset. Have you noticed any issues with it. Also, If anyone else it having ANY problems whatsever, please post.
    yes EH the speaker volume is terrible..got to use the headset..this is one that is the FIRST on my list of "why I want to return" I had the volume up as high as it can go and I could barely hear ChrisSpera. That has me worried. I donot know if this is an issue with this particular unit or across the board. I have to call Tech Support at AT&T and I will find out. Now,that would also be a good test of how their Data or PDA Tech Support is!! It definitely FEELS lighter compared to the i700. I miss the navigation buttons, and another thing it sure is not a one-handed operating PDA or Phone. thats another thats turning me off slowly!!!! man this aint going good so far.. Yet it has not frozen on me or gone thru heart failures,,may be because the 03 is a little stabler ? I will keep you posted. DONT purchase it yet... at least AT&T has a thirty day return policy versus VZW's 15 day

Thanks for the feed back. Now I think I will hold off. It's very tempting, but I don't want to throw more money down the drain. Have you noticed any improvment in AT&T's GSM coverage?

Equus,

Would you recommed the 4100 still? I'm thinking of getting one but my concerns are some comments made about the quality and I read somewhere that the users manual doesn't suggest using the unit up to your ear to talk but rather use the speakerphone or headset. Have you noticed any issues with it.
    You're right, the manual says not to hold it up to your ear, but the 4100 comes with an earpiece headset and a stereo headset.

Thanks for the feed back. Now I think I will hold off. It's very tempting, but I don't want to throw more money down the drain. Have you noticed any improvment in AT&T's GSM coverage?
    NOPE...it still does not work inside my house Man,AT&T is gonna hate me..I know...I call it the way I see..sorry AT&TW

Whew! I was real close to giving AT&T another run. Darn! I really wanted that phone. I wonder if it can be unlocked to run on T-Mobile?

I am awaiting my 4100. supposed to be delivered wednesday (3 to 5 business days). Iam curious to find out if it works in the house. The SX56 does not have signal strength inside the house.

This one I got is pretty sweet. I had bought one last Friday but the listening slots above the screen gave off some loud screeching interference when I would answer calls. I took it back Saturday and the replacement is sweet. I get a good signal with it too at work.

I think I'll be returning my 4100 to AT&T this week since the cons outweigh the pros for me.

Here's my list after testing it for a day.

Pros:
    - Faster than the i700
    - Screen easier to see outdoors.
    - No lock ups
    - Stays connected to the Internet, even if you turn it off and
    back on again
    - Lighter than i700
    - Requires confirmation to do a hard reset so you cannot
    accidently wipe out everything
    - No annoying pop-up box when the signal is lost and then is
    regained
    - Clicking on the icon showing an internet connection tells you
    how long you've been connected

Cons:
    - Weak signal in my house and at various places on the commute
    between home and work (which is all interstate highway)
    - Bad pixel near top of the screen
    - Not as high quality as the i700
    - Page not found errors - have to close PIE, open it back up, go
    to another website and then return to the page
    - Headphone jack is not the 2.5mm size so can only use headsets
    that come with it
    - Battery remaining was down to 50% after being turned off at
    night, remaining off all day and then used for only 1 hour
    for surfing and playing a couple of games
    - Only recognized some of the time by ActiveSync on Windows XP

Geez..sometimes I don't like to eat crow!!!

So, the first all day test run results
    1. Battery lasted a total of 56 minutes TOTAL Talk time.
    BAD>>>BAD>>>VERY BAD for me as I travel a lot.
    2.Got a total of 8 calls dropped.
    BAD>>BAD>>> Sometimes the other party I have to talk might think I hung up on them...I deal with Tech Assist Line Kall to help the Field Service Personnel as they transfer the REAL Consumer to me to talk to..
    3. I cannot see the screen in sunlight.. may be others can.
    4. HEAD PHONE JACK!!!!!. Is there something with the Phone/PDA manufacturers that makes them do these things my enemy would not think of doing to me!!!
    5. So..AT&TW says..How many bars do you have? They must have meant..How many Bars have you been to and seen?
    6. it sure is not a one-handed operating unit. You can answer a call with one finger button push...sure cannot call a person that way. I had to pull over on to the shoulder on the highway to ..Tap Contacts....use the Jog-Dial to scroll to contact.. push dial in...scroll to decide ..mobile,work or home to dial..then push dial in to confirm call..(do all of this while driving..not)
    7.. I really feel so awful for having posted earlier about the good things. yet it does have some good things..like its fast!!.like in processor speed. I definitely did not have ANY PIE errors. Definitely NO lock-ups or soft-resets nor did the screen ever looked at me with the ..deer in the headlight look!!!!.
    To agree with apdageek... I guess I am going to return this puppy to the store this week end.

THE MOST CRITICAL ISSUE FOR ME IS...I CANNOT AFFORD TO HAVE A PHONE CALL GO DEAD IN THE MIDDLE OF A CONVERSATION...ARE YOU LISTENING AT&TW?
    I was willing to look past a few errors..just to have the latest...but not able to use the phone...nah..that did it.
    Yeah the 03 Mobile is good and all..but...GSM sure has a long,long,long way to go. I would have thought that by the time they release this, AT&T would have at least boosted their towers and may be tweaked it so a customer "thinks" they have all the bars on their phone...damn they could have painted the bars permanently on the screen!!! I am going to put this thru some more rigorous test tomorrow..load it with some of my "own" software and see the performance. Honestly, I donot have an issue with the PDA part...its the PHONE!!!!!.
    well, I thought I had a winner in my hand here... I guess not..So everyone is entitled to make mistakes...I have made one...dang, I hate to admit the wife was right for once!!!!.
    There I go changing my signature again geez this is so embarrasing.

Bummer.
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.

I guess I got really lucky with mine.

Screen is crystal clear.
    I get 2-3 bars in my home, 2-4 at work.
    No dropped calls.
    Volume on device is great.
    Battery was at about 80% when I got home from work from moderate user.(Calls, checking comcast emails, etc..)

Well.. that brings us back to fa..so..la..ti..da..
    I mean there must be good units and defective units being shipped. So if one is lucky..you might get a good unit. this is the same with VZW and all others. I just donot have time to be going thru these gyrations any more...for crying out loud this is almost $500 so the QA or QC line was on dis-ability leave that week?
    this is exactly what is wrong with this side of the industry. I am sure you all are gonna say...ah,equus that is the cutting edge technology..you have to expect these mishaps.. you are rich..we don't have enough money to do our own R&D so can we use yours? bah humbug..not with my own money they aint.

I think you are right that there are some buggy units. I bite the 30 day trial bullet and bought one at my local AT&T store yesterday night. I'm installing all my apps as we speak. I did have to go back an hour later and switch out the unit (luckily that had received 2 that very day) because the digitizer would not work. My new unit works perfectly. That doesn't concern me, nor should it any converged veterans in this forum since most of us have had the experiance of having to swap units a time to two to get a good one. I went through 2 I700's in as many days before getting a good one.

The screen is crystal clear and the volume of the phone is very good. I called my wife from the car driving back and she said that she'd never heard such good quality over a cell phone and the experiance was the same on my end. She swore I sounded like I was on a land line. I like the weight of the unit vs. the I700. The I700 feels more solid due to the metal housing, where as the 4100 is a hard and what seem to be durable plastic. I sold my I700 last month, and purchased a new Dell Axium X30, which I really liked. It also comes in a hard plastic housing vs. the metal, but it is so much eaiser to carry and neither the 4100 or the Dell feel "cheap". Well, compared to a metal housing it might seem that way, but as I said, I enjoy carrying a lighter unit.

So far, the voice quality and signal have been excellent. The last time I had GSM was with T-Mo and I got not signal in my office building. Now, I have at least 2 bars all of the time. Other employees here who have older AT&T GSM phones still do not have a signal inside.

I can't really get too deep into a review or opinion yet, as I just starting using last night and haven't installed my apps yet, but the first impression with both the phone, signal strenght, and voice quality are very good. The only thing I'm really apprehensive about right now is the unconventional button layout. So far for phone use, it has been okay. I'll know more though after I get my apps installed, whick I leave you now to do.
    Last edited by EvilHomer; 06-15-2004 at 09:47 AM.

Bluetooth GPS solution

If anybody is installing a BT GPS solution for the 4100 I would like to hear how they went about it (considering there is only 1 slot for SDIO)