+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Another Trial Day !!!

I will have the GPRS connection on all day, without answering my phone and see how the refresh rate and speed on browsing is going to be and also the battery life. Let you all know late night on that result.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Me too! I broke down last night, went to the AT&T store where they had two in stock and bought it. I guess I couldn't wait. Hey, I have 30 days!
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

I did not find any "awesome speed" increase in using it all day. Only good thing was I got notified about my Email and SMS pretty quick.
    Battery lasted 5.0hours with it on always in the GPRS mode. I guess thats ok as far as staying "on-line" It was really getting a little bit annoying if you have to type long emails or do any posts in forums. KeyBoard is a MUST for these situations.
    I had the dreaded Page Not Found Error six times. It really did not matter which web page I was surfing. Mostly if the page took more than 30 seconds to load that error pops up..hit the X box..close PIE..reopen PIE..and then go back to the page ..it loads.. I also tried to look for increasing cache size..no option..unless I have Power Toys for PPC installed. I would kind of think thats lame that they did not include that option.
    YES..Head Set is a BIG minus for me...Audiovox should have designed it so ANY generic 2.5mm head set would work. Now,I have definitely come to the conclusion..this is a two- handed device.
    i700 beats this hands down.
    EH has also broken down and got it.... I hope his experiences are pleasant.
    I agree some like a lighter and smaller form factor PDA/Phone. I am still the"I have to feel the device in my hand" kind of a guy.
    More to find later.
    So,what was good ..
    While I was surfing, the phone rang...window pops up..answer or ignore..I tapped ignore...went to voice mail..I kept surfing...!!! I was able to access ALL secure sites Not once did I feel the battery feeling warm to touch while it was ON all the time for 5.0hrs while I was surfing.
    Yes..it does make a great difference in the processor speed. I had tweaked it to 400MHz and MAN it hauls ass!!!.
    Switching between programs is soooooo fast..4100 did not even bat an eyelid or hiccup even once thru all the pages I was changing and scrooling and going back and forth from word to excel to word to sending SMS replies and checking my Office Email...Gawd it felt good..
    I recorded a few messages to be saved for later use..like a recording machine..while it was still in GPRS mode.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

screen shot..page error
    Last edited by equus; 01-23-2006 at 10:34 PM.

how did you change it to say equus instead of "pocket_pc"?
    Audivox PPC4100 with WiFi

Assuming it's not any different in 2003, Go to Settings, System, About, Device ID.

Remember that some software is licensed based on your Device ID (although very true with Palms, I find most of my apps are tied to my owner name on the PPC).
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

Cool!

equus, are you getting that page cannot be found error on every pph page? I have not seen that on 2003 with my iPAQ, got it constantly with 2002 on the i700 though.

By the way, which internet plan did you pick up?
    Last edited by shackrat; 06-21-2004 at 02:44 PM.
    Boardoo - Managed Forum, Web, and Blog hosting solutions.

Re: Cool!

Originally posted by shackrat
    equus, are you getting that page cannot be found error on every pph page? I have not seen that on 2003 with my iPAQ, got it constantly with 2002 on the i700 though.

By the way, which internet plan did you pick up?
    that always happened on pages that had Frames and any jsp files. I got the Unlimited data plan. surprisingly when I use my i700 with TH all pages load. it is still a PIE issue and I honestly now believe MS needs to interface loading it with the phone side. because if I sync with the cradle using an iPAQ (my loud mouth brother-in-law's) or use Wi-Fi this problem does not show up. this tends to question the carriers capability on transmission either thru GPRS or even CDMA.
    When I use VZW's 5220 Wireless Broadband card this problem's not there. IT HAS TO BE from the PHONE side and the carrier. NO ONE at either AT&TW or VZW has the balls to admit that's there is a problem or they are just plain stupid.
    I am getting the feeling this 4100 is going to be obselete even before it ever makes a dent in the market. this is being pitched as a low-budget PDA/Phone and you know what..some basic user who has never used a PDA is gonna get it so they can be a part of the "geek generation" and have no idea what they have got themselves into. I guess some of these carriers are banking on this any way...because they donot want knowledgeable users like us buying these and asking questions they cannot answer..
    Look, a person walking in is going to look at some phones... walk around all the displays...compare prices... plans...$349 for whatcamacallit that looks like the "thing" their cousin at NASA has and bingo..they got one for about the same price as one of the bloated Nokias or Sony-Ericcsons..I have seen this done at the store one day while I was there playing with a Moto that the store Mgr had and I just about dropped dead. I asked him..wow that guy has no clue what he bought did he? this guy bought the 4100!!...guess what the answer was... andy look, people nowa days want either the SMALLEST phone ever made or a phone that they can get "internet".

Smile Sad, but true..

You make a good point, people want a cute phone so they can keep up with their friends. They want it to look good and make a lot of cute sounds for each and every little thing it does. Unfortunately, the store help are trained to cater to those types of customers, as us i700 users have found out recently.

The PIE bug must be a phone edition problem, but I can't help but wonder why. I certainly can't say is a problem with the carriers network, since things work fine with the iPAQ on ATTWS using Bluetooth. But it's pretty embarassing that such a bug still exists despite the attention that it has received.

The next thing I'm going to look at is the new iPAQ 6300 GSM/WiFi/BT. That is going to be the next killer PocketPC!
    Boardoo - Managed Forum, Web, and Blog hosting solutions.

Aw..there you go teasing me with the iPAQ 6300...man I am going broke here and this addiction has to stop one day. I am going to start a rehab. home for the PDA junkies.... get all the manufacturers to install ONE new device and have them lined up in a show case thats bullet and vandalism proof and have you as the person in charge to walk all these people once a day around so they can see and not touch.....

Now the issue with the PIE is a sore point for MS. shackrat as much as NO one wants to admit and call a spade a spade... security issues have been on MS's mind all along. I am going way beyond realms of this topic here... companies are scared of BT,Wi-Fi... you know the blue-snarfing has already started. Did you read the article where a company in England has already made and is supplying wall panels that are impenetrable to BT but GSM and or CDMA signals can pass thru. I realize this is stretching it.. but the industry is watching this PDA bloom into something they had no idea what it will be. I had no idea when I bought my first Tandy that I would be stuck with computers all my life. What I am trying to say is... I think there is more to this than the eye meets.

Aw..there you go teasing me with the iPAQ 6300...
    iPAQ6315 is the best to come. T-Mobile will get it in a few weeks. ATTWS will get it 3 months later. So if I were you, return your PPC4100 and wait 3 months.

Originally posted by substring
    iPAQ6315 is the best to come. T-Mobile will get it in a few weeks. ATTWS will get it 3 months later. So if I were you, return your PPC4100 and wait 3 months.
    Its scheduled to go back tomorrow morning any way.

Originally posted by equus
    Aw..there you go teasing me with the iPAQ 6300...
    I already have my T-Mobile SIM... just waiting... it will be worth the wait. Patience, my young Jedi...
    John

Mine went back today. I had a lockup last night, did a soft reset and the device came up empty. So I got home, tried to do a restore and it kept locking up. Soft reboot and it reset the device. I tried reinstalling apps, it locked up again. Soft reboot, reset device again.

I think PDA phones have a good way to go before I make another big purchase. Between the signal strength and battery power they really need to play catchup, especially with Blackberry devices.

Originally posted by jpmihalk
    I already have my T-Mobile SIM... just waiting... it will be worth the wait. Patience, my young Jedi...
    LOL..so you did use speeell chackker for patienttsce....I cant speeell that... darn...so I was deprived of those genes..its not my fault...it was the bad test-tube they used for me... besides I am NOT young... I am ooollldddd.....

I have been playing with this puppy for about 24 hours now and it is not so bad as i first thought. Some pros;

The phone works from inside the building at my house ( the SX56 never did that. In the house it shows a signal strength o f 2 bars, where the SX56 either showed 1 or none.

The 64 MB memory is a big improvement over 32 MB in SX56 , it used to remind me constantly that my memory was tooo low. I never get such a message in the 4100.

The Bluetooth capability works. There are accessories available ( e.g. a spare battery). I like the removable battery. All you do is to swap the battery in a long flight.

The cons have been mentioned earlier in this and other threads, The cradle is flimsy and the Active sync is finicky about getting connected. It does not feel heavy enough and is in fact feels to tinny and light. But i guess that is a matter of preference.

Seems to be affecting my computer , which has started giving out clicking signals everytime the 4100 is nearby. very strange.

More later,

Kaushal
    Last edited by kaushal; 07-03-2004 at 07:53 AM.

the clicking is probably happening because of the speakers. I have found with some devices they work on the same frequency your speakers are emitting at so when you get near them you will hear some interferance from them but it is only when your service meter is refreshing so it sounds like a click. I had the same problem with a previous cellphone in the car.
    TB CompDesign
    Cingular 8125 and lovin' it

Originally posted by TBCompDesign
    the clicking is probably happening because of the speakers. I have found with some devices they work on the same frequency your speakers are emitting at so when you get near them you will hear some interferance from them but it is only when your service meter is refreshing so it sounds like a click. I had the same problem with a previous cellphone in the car.
    Yes..that is exactly right..the cell phones while they are checking in with the "mother ship" it is normal for the speakers to emit that clicking sound. As I am a product engineer for an automobile company we encountered numerous consumer concerns with this phenomena and we issued what is called a TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) to help the consumers understand that "certain" models of Wireless Transmitters and Receivers exhibit this tone and it is NORMAL..and we advised them to place that device a few inches away from their Audio devices..

It seems that the GSM creates some sort of electromagnetic field that disrupts speakers and monitors. I've seen disruption in CRT monitors but not with my LCD's. I never experianced it with CDMA service but all the time with GSM. The AM radio goes nuts in my office sometimes during a call.

I hope it's not doing the same (EEEEEK) the same (EEEEEEEK) the same to my (EEEEEK) yayayayayayayaya.... the same to my BRAIN.......

Originally posted by EvilHomer
    It seems that the GSM creates some sort of electromagnetic field that disrupts speakers and monitors. I've seen disruption in CRT monitors but not with my LCD's. I never experianced it with CDMA service but all the time with GSM. The AM radio goes nuts in my office sometimes during a call.

I hope it's not doing the same (EEEEEK) the same (EEEEEEEK) the same to my (EEEEEK) yayayayayayayaya.... the same to my BRAIN.......
    Well...do we really have to discuss "the EH Brain" in public !!!! I don't believe the EMF had anything to do with it
    I have had CDMA devices do the same... mind you they have been only on SPECIFIC manufacturers phones....and also CERTAIN models...it depends on how much they decide to enhance the signal internally to have a good "connection".