+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Unlock the Audiovox PPC 4100

Audiovox PPC 4100

Does anyone know how to unlock this device soi t can work on other GSM networks... Im looking at getting one for the Rogers Wireless network in canada...

Also would anyone like to sell this device "Audiovox PPC 4100"

Thanks

Re: Unlock the Audiovox PPC 4100

Originally posted by ctiger78
    Audiovox PPC 4100

Does anyone know how to unlock this device soi t can work on other GSM networks... Im looking at getting one for the Rogers Wireless network in canada...

Also would anyone like to sell this device "Audiovox PPC 4100"

Thanks
    I don't believe the unlock code has been some how leaked out yet...its still very new to AT&TW..might take a few months before some one figures it out or some ticked off store rep posts it all over the net!!!...talking about Rogers Network..on my 4100 that option is there already..cause when I go on the Net..there is a dialog box that will enable you to select networks and Rogers is one of it...the Rep. did say it will work on Rogers GSM as AT&TW has an agreement to use their network when US customers go into Canada..You might want to try that...
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

thats good to know, if you do find the unlock code please keep me in mind....

Sure...
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Re: Re: Unlock the Audiovox PPC 4100

Originally posted by equus
    I don't believe the unlock code has been some how leaked out yet...its still very new to AT&TW..might take a few months before some one figures it out or some ticked off store rep posts it all over the net!!!...talking about Rogers Network..on my 4100 that option is there already..cause when I go on the Net..there is a dialog box that will enable you to select networks and Rogers is one of it...the Rep. did say it will work on Rogers GSM as AT&TW has an agreement to use their network when US customers go into Canada..You might want to try that...
    Did you decide to keep yours?
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

NO, EH..it is just not comfortable without the navigation buttons...plus it sure is not a one-handed operation device...pretty unsafe to use while driving....I can do a pretty safe one-hand dialing and access on my i700 and the i600 lot better than the 4100..
    going back tomorrow..oh by the way the store manager told me AT&TW called him on Friday and had him pull all the 4100's off on a recall..he would not say what the recall was as there were some people there to see him (cryptic)..I will find out tomorrow morning when I take mine back!!!.

Agree with you all the reasons for return. I can't believe that they could not add the standard nav buttons on this device. It's a total device killer for me. As for me, I think I'll stay with the Treo 600 on GSM for now. I like Verizon's network better, but I rarely travel and I'll need GSM anyway when the Moto MPX comes out. I think that's going to be the device to have. It pretty much has everything that we've all begged for in a device. So I figure I'll just get used to the GSM service, sell the Treo when the MPX hits. Also, the AT&T people are GREAT about giving me a new phone at the upgrade price even when only a few months into the contract. I just agree to start over and I get the instant saving. VZW sucks making you wait two years and they just don't put out enough choices in handset. I'm sick of their testing everything to death. Like the Treo. It's been out for at least a year, everyone else has it, and Verzion is still picking at it so by the time it gets out, it will be outdated.

Originally posted by EvilHomer
    Agree with you all the reasons for return. I can't believe that they could not add the standard nav buttons on this device. It's a total device killer for me. As for me, I think I'll stay with the Treo 600 on GSM for now. I like Verizon's network better, but I rarely travel and I'll need GSM anyway when the Moto MPX comes out. I think that's going to be the device to have. It pretty much has everything that we've all begged for in a device. So I figure I'll just get used to the GSM service, sell the Treo when the MPX hits. Also, the AT&T people are GREAT about giving me a new phone at the upgrade price even when only a few months into the contract. I just agree to start over and I get the instant saving. VZW sucks making you wait two years and they just don't put out enough choices in handset. I'm sick of their testing everything to death. Like the Treo. It's been out for at least a year, everyone else has it, and Verzion is still picking at it so by the time it gets out, it will be outdated.
    You mentioned..AT&TW will upgrade even if you are new into the plan? WOW..I didn't know that..attractive offer..is it just in certain regions or do you know is it nationwide?
    ROFL..on VZW test procedures...you are so right VZW has some sorry offerings as far as phones are concerned...network is good and thats about it..
    I still can't get a straight answer..has AT&TW started using Cingulars towers? and also is T-Mobile towers being shared by AT&TW? do you know? I think its time for me to seriously look into other carriers who offer a better package overall..
    My main concern is coverage..all the store people pull out that stupid color brochure with the map in different colors and for crying out loud one of the gals at a store had a hard time locating Hawaii... must be in the East Coast as we have very good coverage there..is what she said I about started to laugh so loud, but my civility stopped me...

Equus:
    I can't guarantee that all stores will do that, but I have been and AT&T customer in the past and now again. I left because their GSM coverage was crap and since they are trying to phase out TDMA, the phone selection is very poor. GSM has the advantage of offering the best selection of phones. I have gone through more phones than Micheal Moore has donuts. When I've been with AT&T, they have always let me purchase a new phone at the new contract price as long as I renew the contract, regardless of how new the contract is. It doesn't matter to me if I keep extending it because if I cancel my agreement with them, it costs the same no matter how much is left. Again, I have a long standing relationship with the people at my local store so I couldn't guarantee the same, but I've alway been allowed the upgrade with contract extension.

Like you said, the only thing Verizon has is a strong network. Once you get a phone with them, that's it for two years or whatever unless you pay full price. They don't have any phones that I have any interest in. Again, I cannot believe how incredibly slow they are to market with handsets. This testing proceedure of theirs is ridiculous. I mean, they test something into the ground and then release something like the 7135? I don't think their testing is as intensive as they make out, I just think they are slow. Of couse, that's just my assumption and I mean to offense.

Another advantage to AT&T is the 30day trial vs. 15 day trial of phones that the others provide. Plus, I've taken phones back 20+ days in to try another and they swap it out for another unit and I get a full 30 days with that unit. It's really just important to establish a relationship with one or two of the store reps. Ask them for a few of their cards and tell them you will try and send them customers. Also, as the IT Manager here, I have some of our business phones through them and they are used to me dealing with them on that. Anyway, I'm babbling on here.

As far as the GSM service. I have seen a night and day improvment in the signal and call quality. I live in Dallas/Ft. Worth area so my coverage is probably stronger than those who live in more rual areas. I rarely travel so that's not much of an issue with me. I can tell you that when I am outside of my office, my phones shows that I'm on the AT&T Network, but when I go inside to my office, where I never really had a good signal with carrier, my phone seemlessly swithes over to Cingular and I have a good stong signal. I did get a signal in my office with Verizon to be fair, but it was weak. Although I haven't roamed onto T-Mo's network yet, my phone does show that as an option. I supposed since I live in a large city that I'll keep getting either AT&T or Cingular before T-Mo, but I was told by AT&T that they use T-Mo's towers now and that their would be no roaming on any of the other networks with my plan.

Of course, my primary reason for moving to GSM is to have a better selection of phones and to be ready for the MPX when it hits the shelves. I'm tired of drooling over the selection of GSM phones available now and that are up and coming and knowing that VZW will just not offer comperable devices, at least in this decade.

I thank you for the very honest reply. I am tending to lean towards the GSM carriers too, as there are many models to choose from in their line up. Well, if I am in the Dallas area I will look you up, as I will be there in Sept. for some meetings..may be a coffee or a dinner...

I wouldn't mind that at all. I'll send you a PM with my actually email adress so you can let me know when you come to town. I'm always up for eats!

Reflecting on what I said about the GSM quality I'm getting, it may be because I'm using a quad band Treo 600. Some of the older phones may not be able to take advantage of the new coverage with Cingular. One of our employees has an AT&T GSM phone, which he got several months ago, and when he's in the office, he has no signal whereas, my locks into Cingular and I have a great signal. I would make sure that if you use AT&T, get a new device that is tri or quad band. That way you have twice the coverage.

Originally posted by EvilHomer
    I wouldn't mind that at all. I'll send you a PM with my actually email adress so you can let me know when you come to town. I'm always up for eats!

Reflecting on what I said about the GSM quality I'm getting, it may be because I'm using a quad band Treo 600. Some of the older phones may not be able to take advantage of the new coverage with Cingular. One of our employees has an AT&T GSM phone, which he got several months ago, and when he's in the office, he has no signal whereas, my locks into Cingular and I have a great signal. I would make sure that if you use AT&T, get a new device that is tri or quad band. That way you have twice the coverage.
    That was my plan to get at least a quad band..so all "bases" are covered. Did you see the T-Mobile iPAQ 6310!!!. Now that would be something to go after!!!

Is it available now? AT&T is supposed to have it 3 months after T-Moblie gets it. If so, I'll use my Treo 600 until the HP is released for AT&T. T-Mobile's GSM coverage is not nearly as good as AT&T with the merge with Cingular, so that would be my only apprehension about getting it now. Well, that and the fact that PPC phones still have yet to impress me. They are just difficult to use as a phone vs. the Treo which is very intuitive as a phone. As a network admin, I'd perfer the PPC platform, although the Palm still is quite good. So far, the phone part of the PPC devices are more an afterthought and I really need a good easy to use phone.

I forgot to mention that I also have an extra car charger that I'll throw in and a brand new Pro Clip holster. This is the one that works with both the regluar and extended battery.

Thanks.

If you are located in the US and don't do international travel the quad band is basically useless - the US only uses 2 of the bands both of which are included in this unit

Originally posted by ddevilx2
    If you are located in the US and don't do international travel the quad band is basically useless - the US only uses 2 of the bands both of which are included in this unit
    You are right. It's usless to those who don't travel overseas but I don't get the point. Most of the phones on cameras are completly usless but I suppose it's nice to have it in the event you really need it. Many people who buy a phone like the Treo are international travelers and having a feature that allows you to call in over 100 countries is nice to have.

Originally posted by ddevilx2
    Well..fortunately or unfortunately I do travel overseas quite a bit..Asia and Europe on a regular basis... so that was my reason of saying cover all "bases".

Originally posted by equus
    Well..fortunately or unfortunately I do travel overseas quite a bit..Asia and Europe on a regular basis... so that was my reason of saying cover all "bases".
    I'm with you. I haven't traveled overseas yet but the wife and I will be doing so in the forseeable future and the quad band will be great. It didn't cost more to have it so what the heck? I mean a usless feature is only useless until the first time you use it.

Smile

Unlock your PPC4100 :

Download the unlocking solution from :
    http://www.texasaggie.com/unlock/

The file and instruction are in the zip file. It will work for any PPC4100.

03 minustes procedure.

Thanks Campitellu!

Hey Campitellu, thanks for the info man, you save my phone It works great, thanks again bro.