+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Beware AT&T!! Unlimited Internet NOT Unlimited!!

I want to quickly share an experience I just had with AT&T Wireless that led to the cancellation of my service. When I signed up for AT&T service nearly a month ago I asked about internet access and was offered an unlimited mMode package for $24.99 which I accepted.

I got my first bill yesterday and was charged the $24.99 for the unlimited service and an additional $14 for useage. After calling and speaking to a CSR who contacted the billing department I was told that there is no unlimited internet plan for $24.99 despite the fact that it was listed as such on my bill, and that they cannot honor the plan. Despite several minutes trying to convince them that I was not only offered unlimited internet by an AT&T rep it also showed on my bill, he still wouldn't budge saying that they would't honor it. Finally I gave up and told him to cancel service on both lines.

To AT&T's credit they zeroed the bill for me so I don't owe anything for either line, but perhaps I am skeptical, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The moral of the story is beware of unlimited internet on AT&T wireless, it may not be unlimited afterall. The caveat here is that the plans for the 4100 may be different, but use caution anyhow.
    Boardoo - Managed Forum, Web, and Blog hosting solutions.

I tried out a 4100 for a day, returned it and cancelled my service. They charged me $5 for 60KB for data (I had signed up for the PDA Unlimited plan) and $36 for an activation fee.

Did you have to pay the activation fee?

Originally posted by apdageek
    I tried out a 4100 for a day, returned it and cancelled my service. They charged me $5 for 60KB for data (I had signed up for the PDA Unlimited plan) and $36 for an activation fee.

Did you have to pay the activation fee?
    Nope..I didn't have to pay a penny when I returned the 4100...Umm...thats a bummer..they should not have charged the $36 activation fee....In fact when I signed on the first day AT&TW offered it..they waived my activation fee....I did use about 103 MB data and they never charged me for it...just took back the 4100..refunded the money to my credit card and I was out of there in 15 mts..
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

After I returned my 4100, I had to call Customer Service to cancel my service as the store doesn't do that.

Did the store cancel your service for you?

After I returned my 4100, I had to call Customer Service to cancel my service as the store doesn't do that.

Did the store cancel your service for you?
    Yep..they sure did..I was standing right there..when the Rep. called and he went into their Computer and confirmed that. Did you go to a Corp. store or a franchised store?
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

I'm nut sure if it's franchised or not. I remember they had to make a call to set up my service.

Ax to grind with ATT

About four years ago, I had a run in with ATT. After mucho telephone calls, they admitted their error and zeroed out my bill. I took their word for it that this was the end of the story. It was not!

ONE YEAR LATER the amount of the bill they zeroed -- and this is not the contract penalty because I stayed with ATT for the rest of my contract -- showed up on my credit report as being past due and in collection. I hollered and screamed and wrote letters to ATT and the credit agencies. ATT ignored me like a bastard step child, but the credit reporters took the item off my report after they investigated.

But guess what popped up on my credit report again about 6 months ago....you guessed it. I went through another round with ATT and the credit companies and again the item was removed. Almost...now instead of "past due" and "deliquent" the entry reads "paid as agreed. Balance written off." This is still a major credit ding.

I am still fighting that comment and am told I will lose!

I'd suggest that you get a letter from ATT (if you can), to prove on down the line why you didn't pay your bill becaue a year from now ATT won't remember anything about what you went through today. All they will see on their little screens and in their little minds is that you didn't pay your bill in full. Nothing you say a year from now will move them. They could care less about the truth.

Do not trust this company to make things right...they won't! They will lie (so sue me ATT, I'd love it.) and they will lie again. They stole a part of my credit rating and have caused me hours and hours of work and anguish.

Stay away from ATT.
    Last edited by Lookoutpi; 07-09-2004 at 10:25 PM.

I'm nut sure if it's franchised or not. I remember they had to make a call to set up my service.
    yeah..that was a franchised store..

The mmode is used on the phones themselves while the mobile interenet would be used on the pda.

They unlimited mmode at $24.99 and the unlimited pda for $ 49.99

Re: Ax to grind with ATT

Ha ha! ROFLMAO.. I was told the exact same thing, because of the unlimited not being unlimited fiasco, I was told that my bill would be zeroed when I canceled my service. I even went so far as to get the reps full name.

Guess what, I got bill the following month with an overdue balance. I called and nobody knew anything about it, no notes were on the account, and even though I had the reps name, they wouldn't do anything about it. I did get a bunch of charges reversed like activation, and additional data charges reversed, but I still wound up owing them money.

Despite being told that my month of service would be free when I cancelled because of the dispute, I can't in good conscience continue to argue against paying for a service I used. I accepted the credits and am paying just the base rate for the month.

Originally posted by Lookoutpi
    About four years ago, I had a run in with ATT. After mucho telephone calls, they admitted their error and zeroed out my bill. I took their word for it that this was the end of the story. It was not!

ONE YEAR LATER the amount of the bill they zeroed -- and this is not the contract penalty because I stayed with ATT for the rest of my contract -- showed up on my credit report as being past due and in collection. I hollered and screamed and wrote letters to ATT and the credit agencies. ATT ignored me like a bastard step child, but the credit reporters took the item off my report after they investigated.

But guess what popped up on my credit report again about 6 months ago....you guessed it. I went through another round with ATT and the credit companies and again the item was removed. Almost...now instead of "past due" and "deliquent" the entry reads "paid as agreed. Balance written off." This is still a major credit ding.

I'd suggest that you get a letter from ATT (if you can), to prove on down the line why you didn't pay your bill becaue a year from now ATT won't remember anything about what you went through today. All they will see on their little screens and in their little minds is that you didn't pay your bill in full. Nothing you say a year from now will move them. They could care less about the truth.

Do not trust this company to make things right...they won't! They will lie (so sue me ATT, I'd love it.) and they will lie again. They stole a part of my credit rating and have caused me hours and hours of work and anguish.

Stay away from ATT.
    Boardoo - Managed Forum, Web, and Blog hosting solutions.

Unlimited MMode 24.99
    Unlimited PDA 49.99
    Unlimited phone as modem 79.99
    for PDA with bluetooth

Regarding the below post. ATT has just sent me to collection again!

Originally posted by Lookoutpi

Stay away from ATT.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Wow, $49.99 for unlimited data!!! That would pretty much seal the fate of anyone going to AT&T, or planning to. Is that for all pdaPhones, or just the 4100. I keep hearing people in other forums saying they are moving to AT&T.
    Mike - Been Converged?

It's for any of their PDA phones. I've used the Treo and the 4100 with it.