+ Reply to Thread

4100 unlocked? ebay link and Q's

Hi. Been lurking for a while.

I have the opportunity to get a 4100... I was planning on just using it as a windows mobile device, and not a phone, but I would like to unlock it in case I ever decide to go between service providers. (I travel between Canada and the US, I have sims for multiple networks)

I noticed an earlier post about unlocking the PPC4100; the unlocking method has not been leaked yet.

Is this still the case?

If so, can someone explain this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...720385838&rd=1

Here's a 4100 that the seller is claiming to be unlocked.
    He also claims that it's "New-Never Opened".

Since when was Audiovox shipping unlocked phones from the factory?

Is this guy scamming, or does he know something we don't?

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I would be very cautious...

AT&T won't unlock any phone for any reason. I am not aware that Audivox sold these other than through AT&T. So, it would seem suspcious to me. I'd try to get some proof ... like by images of the screen connected with another carrier SIM or something.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Originally posted by Convergent

AT&T won't unlock any phone for any reason. I am not aware that Audivox sold these other than through AT&T. So, it would seem suspcious to me. I'd try to get some proof ... like by images of the screen connected with another carrier SIM or something.
    Oh, I'm pretty sure this guy is scamming.

Here was his reply to me when I asked him for more details:

menajem (menajemh@hotmail.com) to el_nerdo:

No information to give. U want the unlocked new phones is only from me

Someone should report this guy to ebay.
    Last edited by el_nerdo; 09-15-2004 at 01:03 PM.

I emailed him letting him know that IF in fact he is in possession of an unlocked 4100, the information he got to unlock it probably came from a leak at AT&T, and that information is most likely privledged. And in that case, he should be VERY careful attempting to sell it.

Either share the info with everyone, or no one.
    At least, that's my take.

Somehow, I have a feeling he won't reply to this last message I sent him. Perhaps someone else on here would have better luck sending him a message? His address is above.

Here's his final email from me... not only is it highly amusing... I think I scared him a little:

"I don't have to give u any proff, is my problem and is warrantied from me that this audiobox 4100 is unlocked. I'm not going to give u any code to unlock cause I don't have it. I got this phones unlocked already, so if u continue writing in this way to me I'm going to report u to ebay and just now I sent this email to ebay to check u. I use one audiobox like this with tmobile simcard, and I sold one already a month ago to a friend who lives in spain to use it with his simcard and worked. u want to buy it, do it, u don't want, don't buy. There's no obligation to get this phones from me, and I'm in my rights to keep all the information from where to get this phones. Good luck."

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Well, he may be legitimate, but I think I'd steer clear of it. I've done a lot of buy/sell on eBay and have a rating of over 500... which as you know means I've done about 1000 deals. In all those deals, I had about a half dozen attempts to rip me off, and half of those were on pdaPhones. Be very careful that you know who you are buying from with pdaPhones.... especially when you are crossing country borders.

I also know that my own account was hijacked and someone tried to sell a $3000 Bose system with my account, which I'm sure didn't exist. Luckily, I was paying attention to my email and saw that my password had been changed. Somehow the account was hacked, and not from me being lose with my information.... it is possible, although I'm clueless how someone would do it. My account hadn't been used in a while, so they must have a way to look for accounts with a lot of positive feedback that have been dormant for a while, and they probably figure that some of them will be because the people are no longer around and wouldn't get the password change notifications. If they don't, then they can sell a lot of stuff quickly and make a lot of money, then disappear.. the trail leading to the old owner.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Newbiw here. I guess I was lucky - I purchased an unlocked ppc4100 on ebay and have had it over a week now - no problems except I can't figure out how to access the web via my t-mobile card (see another post).

I would be happy to provide the ebay seller details (seems to have more) if anyone is interested.

I picked up a 'buy it now' under 200 on ebay that was unlocked as advertised. From other boards I picked up that when they were initially shipped from Audiovox, they were not locked. ATT went back and orderd a new set to be locked. but that is rumour.

ASK

I also bought one of ebay. However it was advertised as locked to AT&T. As I am in the uk though I though it might be worth the risk and seeing if it would work on Orange Pay as you go. The phone finally arrived today and i'm happy to say that it all works fine. So far everything seems excellent. My first purchase will be an sdio wifi card I think so I can surf the net at work.

My latest theory is that network locking must work on an exclusion list and AT&T simply exclude all the other US providers. This leaves the phone unlocked to all non-us providers. This is just a theory though so please let me know if it sounds like BS!

Cheers, Jamm.

Im another ebay'r and I got it also unlocked and it works great.It might now be a scam. You should go for it...SOMEONE obviously has the secret.

here is my email on my purchase of so-called unlocked ppc4100

----- Original Message -----
    Let me know what you would like to do. Perhaps you can find someone there who can unlock it. HEre they don't know how to do.

Robert

P.S. If you haven't done so already, In order for me to better serve you, PLEASE set your email software to include original message in reply. Thanks!
    Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 10:39 PM
    Subject: Re: Question about shipping for item #5726643460 - Unlocked New Audiovox PPC4100 Pocket PC Smart Phone PDA

Thank you.
    I will looking forward for your response.

Paul
    Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2004 3:54 AM
    Subject: Re: Question about shipping for item #5726643460 - Unlocked New Audiovox PPC4100 Pocket PC Smart Phone PDA

This is a very big problem as the manufacturer said they were unlocked. Let me know how we can resolve this.

Robert

P.S. If you haven't done so already, In order for me to better serve you, PLEASE set your email software to include original message in reply. Thanks!
    Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 9:49 PM

The phone received today in good condition....physically...
    But there is missing the user maual cd in pdf and a quick guide.
    Also the most important missing is the phone require me to enter unlock code as I'm not using AT&T,
    this mean I can onlt use it as ppc for now.....

Do you have any clue about it?
    My phone serial number is 3519=========1

Paul

Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 2:39 AM

Hello,

The person at the post office said 7 days

Robert

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 12:10 PM

Thank you very much for your reply.
    May I know when will the post arrive?

Paul
    Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 11:46 PM

This was shipped last week by USPS

Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 11:49 AM
    Subject: Question about shipping for item #5726643460 - Unlocked New Audiovox PPC4100 Pocket PC Smart Phone PDA

Question about your item

Dear noontech,

I HAVE CHECKED WITH WESTERN UNION AND THE MONEY ORDER HAVE BEEN CASH ON 29 OCT 2004. HERE IS THE DETAIL: Billing Information: Status: Processed successfullyServices Purchased: Total Amount posted to card $252.98 BidPay Service Fee $10.23 Payment Amount $234.75 Sent by Second Day Air ($8.00) Purchased Item Information: Auction site eBay Item ID 5726643460 Item description Unlocked New Audiovox PPC4100 Pocket PC Smart Phone PDA Seller Information: Seller ID noontech

Item # Item Title Listing end date

5726643460 Unlocked New Audiovox PPC4100 Pocket PC Smart Phone PDA Oct-23-04

What sort of ebay feedback does he have?

I personally would have run a mile from this one if i'd been asked to pay by Western Union. It might as well be unregistered cash.

Anyway good luck returning it and I hope you get your money back.

4100 unlock

Audiovox was shipping these phones with a May ROM datestamp unlocked. So those phones, if that batch are factory unlocked

Audiovox now released 2nd version of the 4100 with a rom datestamp of july...... these ARE locked. No way to get the unlock code from audiovox canada, audiovox USA, or AT&T

However, I can unlock the phones. I know it sounds unreal - but I can. PLease feel free to look at my ebay sales

ebay ID is: apocalipsex

60+ feedback and i have an auction up now for Unlocked V2 Audiovox PPC 4100

should you like to buy one or have your ppc 4100 unlocked, feel free to PM me or email at callme@rogers.com

cheers!!

Len

Re: 4100 unlock

Originally posted by Callme
    Audiovox was shipping these phones with a May ROM datestamp unlocked. So those phones, if that batch are factory unlocked

Audiovox now released 2nd version of the 4100 with a rom datestamp of july...... these ARE locked. No way to get the unlock code from audiovox canada, audiovox USA, or AT&T
    Hi Len.

Thanks for that little tidbit of info.

My ROM is stamped with a May date, so I guess I got lucky!

I haven't confirmed it with a non ATTWS SIM yet, but I will shortly.

Now if I could just find a way to get a Tengo, I'd be set.

I bought my 4100 from ebay with the title 'Locked 4100 to ATT'. I tried used a Tmobile SIM card and it worked perfect actually better than my Cingular SIM.

Just wanted to let you guys know. And this forum is very outdated, there ARE unlocking methods for the 4100 proven to work.

Originally posted by raiser128
    There ARE unlocking methods for the 4100 proven to work.
    Is this first-hand knowledge? Or is this just what you're read?

If you actually know of these methods, please share.
    Otherwise, it's just conjecture.

We all know about callme@rogers.com. Which is great.
    But you used the word 'methods', which means you're telling us there's at least 1 other way.

So please share this information with the group.