+ Reply to Thread

Wireless Internet options?

Hey guys, i have my 4100 on Cingular. Anyone know what would be my best option to get internet access? I tried dialup to my ISP but that didnt work. I dont care if its slow, because i would only be using it for email and maybe movie times.

Can anyone recommend anything? Also when Cingular saids that $20 for 20mb of data, does that mean data that transfers out/in when surfing the web? If thats the case, you would use up 20 mb on a few web sites, not very practical..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This has to be the crappiest forum on this site. Everyone with a PPC 4100 either doesn't know anything or just doesnt want to help.

Data services for AT&T/Cingular

I have the PDA unlimited service option for my PPC4100. Unlimited data upload and download is $44.95 per month ($49.95 - $5 for combining with a voice plan).

The PDA unlimited plan is nice if you move your SIM to another phone. I switch my SIM between the 4100 and an Audiovox SMT5600.

There is a $24.95 unlimited mMode plan that offers unlimited data. It is locked to a specific phone and they won't let you activate it on a Windows powered phones. I've heard horror stories of people with the unlimited mMode plan that moved their SIM into another phone and racked up huge charges for data services.

If you are looking for more information on rate plans, you'd find better answers in the ATTWIRELESS forums. It appears that there are very few people that use the PPC4100 on this forum.

DonS-- Thanks for you're help. It's hard to find ATT info anymore since the merger. I'm currently using my 4100 on Cingulars plan, never had ATT in other words. Thanks again for your reply

Singular has a $20 media package w/unlimited up/downloads. Thay couldn't have been more helpful. Our audiovox 4100 has had GPRS web browsing etc since the get-go last September. Nice phone. We also have new siemens sx66 on same plan... same deal. Now talking about wireless, has anyone gotten 4100 onto WiFi????????

I've heard alot of people get there 4100 working with a WiFi card fine.

How fast is the $20 media package? I cant find it anywhere on their site

I called Cingular yesterday to ask them the difference between the $39.99 PDA Connect Unlimited package that I'm currently on and the MediaNet Works $19.99 package.

I spent an hour of the phone talking first to customer service and then to tech support and I got very frustrated with the lack of information and knowledge.

I finally gave up when the person from Cingular tech support told me that you can only browse certain web sites with MediaNet. She told me that she had a GPRS browser on her phone and that it could only browse certain web sites. I tried to explain to her that she was talking about a WAP browser and that it used a WAP gateway to only browse WAP enabled web sites. I explained that the PDA phones have full HTML browsers that can access any web sites.

She was very rude and insisted that I was wrong and that she didn't have a WAP browser, she had a GPRS browser. Then she chewed me out for calling the wrong department for support.

I explained that I had simply dialed 611 to speak to customer service and that customer service had conferenced in tech support. I asked what number I should have called and she then admitted that they were internal extentions and that customer service would have to conference them in.

My main question was if you buy the $19.99 MediaNet Works package and move your SIM to another phone, is unlimited data still free? With the AT&T mMode packages, the data service was tied to a specific IMEI number. If you moved the SIM to another phone, you paid 2 cents per KB for data. There are other threads on this site that mention receiving huge phone bills from AT&T because the unlimited data for the mMode package had restrictions.
    Phones: Cingular 8125 & 2125, Siemens SX66, Audiovox SMT5600, Motorola MPX220, BlackBerry 7290

I'm trying to get my 4100 to connect to the Internet using a Cingular SIM. Can anyone help me with the proper data connection settings.

I have an unlimited data package and it works fine in my Siemens SX66. I'm now trying to get it to work in my old Audiovox PPC4100. This phone was originally an AT&T phone so the connection settings are configured for the AT&T network.

Before you ask, my phone is NOT SIM locked. I can insert the SIM and make and receive voice calls. I'm just looking for the right settings to get the data connection to work properly.
    Phones: Cingular 8125 & 2125, Siemens SX66, Audiovox SMT5600, Motorola MPX220, BlackBerry 7290

I too tried to get my standard ISP into the phone. No luck. I don't want to use GPRS. It looks like the phone is capable to dial out to a standard ISP. I put all the info needed as if it was a desktop or notebook connecting to the internet. The funny thing is that the phone never really dials the connection. It always comes back saying something like a computer/modem didn't answer the phone. I put my home phone number in and it never rang the line...so it's not even trying to dial. I dialed the modem number on the sx66 by hand and a modem answered so I know the number is good. I also tried every combination for the phone number.... 1-414-555-1212 414-555-1212 4145551212..you get the picture... My main goal is to try and use the Terminal Services Client. Does this even work with Cingular?

thanks,
    Chris

I tried the same thing, trying to use my ISP's dialup connection just like I do on my notebook. I followed step by step the instructions in the SX66 manual. When I try to connect, it says there is no modem at above number. I verified that the number is good, so I'm not sure what the problem is. If I find out, I will post it here.

How do I connect to dialup?

I still cannot get my sx66 to connect to my ISP dialup service. The Siemens manual has clear step-by-step instructions in chapter 6.2 of the manual on how to do it. When I do, I get "no modem detected", but it doesn't really dial out.

My sx66-using Cingular rep could not figure it out, so I called Siemens. The first moron (Curt, ID#3734) told me all they support is how to turn on the phone and very basic functions and refused to get me a supervisor or another rep. I called back and got a woman who was very persistent and tried to help me for some time.

Unfortunately, we still didn't figure it out. She kept saying that they only support using the other 4 modem choices, not a straight cellular line, even though it is one of the 5 choices and it clearly tells you in the manual that you can do it that way. Then after one of the times she put me on hold she came back and said it only works that way if I have the sx66 hooked up to my computer and want to use it strictly as the modem for it (contrary to what the manual says).

I know this device is supposed to be able to connect like I am trying to, but can't find anyone to help troubleshoot. I suspect maybe it is a software glitch, maybe even on the Microsoft end. Over and over, support issues seem to get bounced to any other entity besides the one you are talking to. Cingular, Siemens, HTC, Microsoft, and the software providers (for bluetooth, etc.) need to all get together and find some way to support all the issues that might come up, instead of passing us around like a hot potato.

Cingular Internet Settings

Has anyone been able to solve the issue with the Audiovox 4100 and connecting it to the internet on a Cingular network. I've recently purchased the phone UNLOCKED. It was on the AT&T network before. I can make/recieve calls without a problem and send/recieve text messages also. Everytime I try to connect I get an error message. I'm currently waiting for Cingular to get back to me. The only way I can get this phone to connect to the internet is if I have it on the cradle connected to my computer via Activesync. I assume it uses my computers connection. I know several people are having this same issue and have read a couple of posts stating they have no problem connecting. Please help!!

did you change your wap ap in your phone after you switched
    to cingular? Must do! I'd don't remember it but you should be
    able to find it on this board easily.

Trying to connect using the phone as modem(csd) is not possible with the sx66. Cingular has locked it out. They don't want data on voice lines, only on gprs. Try putting your home voice number as the isp phone number. Twenty-bucks says your phone won't even dial it. I'm able to do this sort of on t-mobile. Hopefully today I'll get my unlocked Ipaq h6315 tmobile phone. I'm going to see if it will dial out like a modem on cingulars network. The h6315 DOES dial out on tmobile so if it doesn't on cingular it's something they've blocked on their end and the phone hasn't been locked out. My guess is the phone is locked.

Thanks, Chammerback.

I read an old post somewhere that ATT had done that & I suspected that it is the same with Cingular. Unfortunately, no one there seems to know about it.

I can understand their reasoning for blocking the ability, but then they either shouldn't sell phones that do it or else make it clear that they are blocking it for reasonable reasons.

Let me know what you find out when you try it on your device.

Thanks.

Exclamation Wireless Internet on Unlocked PPC4100

First, GPRS web browsing is possible on an unlocked PPC4100. I have a friend who works for Cingular and he told me that unlocked phones didn't work on Cingular's GPRS/EDGE networks. Something to do with the internal set-up of the phone... So I decided to prove him wrong. The dialing properties for any phone that is unlocked default back to the EFG settings (country code, area code, number) and clear the dialing profiles for the phone. They need to be reset for Cingular. These settings are only used to establish the profile and NOT used to actually dial.
    Here's the deal, go to the connection settings, go to the advanced tab, click on Select Location. Check the "Use Dialing Rules" box. Click "OK" when prompted. Select GPRS if you've already set up the GPRS connection, or Mobile if you haven't (they both must be set, so either one will do for now). Then click the Edit button, click the Dialing Patterns button and you should see the three boxes for local, long distance and international. These boxes will read "EFG" for unlocked phones. These must be changed to: *99***1# in each box. Once you have them switched, click "OK" to go back one level, click "OK" again to go back to "Dialing Locations" and then select the other setting (Mobile or GPRS) that hasn't been edited yet and do the above setting changes. Once both of these are set, UNCHECK the "Use Dialing Rules" box and click the "OK" box when prompted. Then click OK to go back to the connection settings menu.
    Click the "Select Networks" button and make sure that both boxes are set for your GPRS connection (NOT ISP, Work, Home, etc.). Then click OK until you've backed out to the Today screen.
    Please be aware that these dialing profiles are NOT used to establish a GPRS connection, but only to establish a connection "profile" for the Cingular data network.
    I will be happy to answer any further software/hardware/connectivity questions on any Windows Mobile PDA or phone... I hope this reply helps.
    Mick.
    These settings are only used to establish a dial-up connection and NOT for GPRS. However

ATT did not support GSM/CSD (that is the data protocol for using the phone as modem with your ISP) for their clients. I asked customer support some time ago before the merger. If you tried you would get a "no modem on the other side" kind of message. I don't know if it is sopported after the merger.
    I have read that with Cingular you need to have a data (GPRS) plan and then call customer support to have CSD activated for your account. And you have to be lucky enough to talk to a CS who knows what you are talking about.

To obtain data (GSM GPRS) service, you must choose that option with your Cingular plan. Per use and packages are available and unlimited for PDA's is $39.99 per month. There are different packages for phones vs. PDA's and the access is WAP (MediaNet) for phones and GPRS (Data Package) for PDA's. The WAP is slower (similar to dial-up), while GPRS and EDGE are 5-12 times faster.
    The settings I listed above were specifically for PDA's and if you choose a MediaNet plan for your PDA, then your device must be set up to use the WAP access and not the faster (GPRS) ISPDA access settings.
    Hope this helps...

PS-Using your phone/PDA as a modem is transparent to the service provider, don't ask for their permission or advice. You pay for the data transfer regardless of whether the phone/PDA is a conduit/modem or the browser device. The charges/rates are for data transfer. If you have problems connecting, the root is almost surely a configuration error or a missing feature in the phone service plan.

ok.. everyone. EVERYBODY thats reading this thread or is even slightly interested in this please go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/vie...p=117978#117978
    post on how u would like to see a section for the 4100 appear on xda developers.

how will this benefit you?
    1- you will have experts feedback on your silly comments.
    2- many of the xda developments are compatible with the 4100
    3 - u will start to see more tools that are compatible with your pda.
    4- JUST DO IT!!!

Cool Cingular WAP settings

Using CSD (aka Wireless Internet)
    Function Setting
    Settings Name: Cingular Wireless Internet
    Home Page: http://device:home or http://device.home
    Session Mode: Permanent
    Connection Security: On
    Dial-up Number: 14152441012
    Gateway IP Address: 66.209.11.61
    Authentication Type: Secure
    Dial Type: ISDN (on network)
    Analogue (off network)
    Login Type: Automatic
    User Name: WAP@CINGULAR.COM
    (All upper case)
    Password: CINGULAR1
    (All upper case)
    Port#9201

Using GPRS (aka Wireless Internet Express)
    Function Setting
    Settings Name: Cingular Wireless Internet Express
    Home Page: http://device:home or http://device.home
    Session Mode: Permanent
    Connection Security: On
    APN: wap.cingular (lower case)
    PDP_Type: IP
    Gateway IP Address: 66.209.11.61
    Authentication Type: Secure
    Login Type: Automatic
    User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    (All upper case)
    Password: CINGULAR1
    (All upper case)

wow tmobiles settings are easy! internet2.voicestream.com and the net is set to gprs lol