+ Reply to Thread

Cingular WAP/Internet settings

As I recently posted I have an unlocked Audiovox 4100 that I am using with my Cingular SIM card. Does anyone have or know the exact settings that need to be changed in order to use the internet via gprs (cellular line). I've been told the WAP settings have to be changed but noone in Cingular can help me with it because the phone is not supported. I have their PDA unlimited internet plan which is costing me over $40 bucks a month. I was using a Motorola MPX220 but wanted something more on the PDA side. Has anyone been able to solve this issue? Can anyone help me?? It would be much appreciated!!

These are the settings i used for my phone and they worked!

Start>Settings>Connections>Connections

Tap "Add a new modem connection". Name the connection "Cingular Wireless Internet Express", and select cellular line (GPRS). Access point name: wap.cingular

Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (all upper case)
    Password: CINGULAR1 (all upper case)

Tap finish.

Select "Manage my existing connections", then tap "Proxy settings" and check the box "This network connects to the internet". Tap OK twice, then try to connect to internet. Hope these settings work for you.

Thanks for the reply chefbelton. I inputted the settings as you stated. Unfortunately I not get a "cannot connect" error:
    Dialed:wap.cingular
    The answering modem has disconnected. To check your connection settings and change them if needed, tap settings.
    Should the modem actually be dialing out?
    Thanks again!!

Try this link, it's where I found those settings. http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com Should be a link on that page to a pdf file with the settings.

I tried it

Hi this worked great for me thanks. But I would like to know how I get charged for time while I am on the internet. Is it by minutes or do I still need the internet plan.