+ Reply to Thread

Headset Microphone Not Working

Both the single and stereo headsets microphone has stopped working with my PPC4100. I have partly taken off the back cover to see if something was awry with the headphone jack, but a motherboard type card is blocking access. I did not further attempt to remove any components inside the device. The audio in the headset works fine.

I'm concerned that I have damaged my headphone jack by using an input adapter for a regular size headset plug (whatever size). This has moved the headphone jack inside the 4100 side to side. Again, everything works great except the microphone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately, because I purchased my 4100 on Ebay about four months ago, it's not under any warranty (that I know of ).
    thanks

Do you have any kind of insurance on it? If you don't, try to go to a radio repair store and they might be able to re-solder back the jack that has expanded due to insertion of a different size adapter. If you are handy with itty-bitty electronic devices you can spend half a day and do it yourself.....also a few computer repair places might take on this project.....go to one of those non-franchised computer places!!!! something privately owned...
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Yeah, like equus said, find a decent electronics shop and have them solder in a new jack... unless you're a pro at SMT soldering, I wouldn't try it.

There's not much else you're going to be able to do... but it should be a relatively easy fix for a pro shop.

DON'T take it to Radio Shack though; once upon a time they were able to fix stuff like this, but not any more.

Originally posted by el_nerdo
    Yeah, like equus said, find a decent electronics shop and have them solder in a new jack... unless you're a pro at SMT soldering, I wouldn't try it.

There's not much else you're going to be able to do... but it should be a relatively easy fix for a pro shop.

DON'T take it to Radio Shack though; once upon a time they were able to fix stuff like this, but not any more.
    ROFL...Radio Hack
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Originally posted by equus
    ROFL...Radio Hack
    Hey! Way back when RS was an electronics store, you could get stuff like that done... and the staff there actually *knew* electronics...

I still enjoy going in, waiting for the leeches that they call salespeople to come over and bark "Can I help you?" at me.

I say, "Sure. I need some lead-free solder, and 10 1.21 jiggawatt capacitors. I also need some green-green-blue-red resistors..." and whatever technical garbage I can throw out.

The one time, the manager, who actually knew a smidgen of electronics heard me ask for a 1.21 jiggawatt something or other, and burst out laughing when the kid said, "I'm pretty sure we can order that for you."

Hilarious.

Audiovox PPC4100

Your headphone jack is fine. The problem is that you can not use a universal earphone or headphone jack. The Audiovox ppc 4100 ueses a 6-pole jack (european) type. No manufacturer in the united states makes them They are only available on the web at ATT/Cingular accessories. There are only two types both are poor.