+ Reply to Thread
    Converged

Outlook on desktop to newly hard reset PPC

Quick question: How do I get my previously synced to desktop appointments back on my device? Had a software/hardware fiasco this weekend, device had to be hard reset. Was able to restore since I back programs up on the card, and sync appointments every day, so my calendar is on the desktop. My device is blank for appointments right now though-they weren't backed up to the card. But I figure no problem as the desktop Outlook should sync them right in. But it's not doing this and in fact, doing a sync not only leaves my device still blank, but then deletes the previously synced appointments from the desktop. I used a restore program to revert my drive back, tried again, thinking I'm choosing for the desktop to do the overwiting to the device. But to no avail. I've had it, and I think I'm just going to have to manually re-enter in those appointments. It's just annoying, because I can't find what I'm not doing correctly in the settings. I'm assuming the overwrite issue is dealt with under "rules" in the active sync window, under conflict resolution. That's the only place where I see any specification of desktop VS device. Ordinarily the device is the overwriting one since for me it where I enter appointments. They always go right into the desktop, all is fine, etc. I just need to reverse this process and this is where it's not working, and as best as I can tell, I've tried to choose the right option. Any ideas from anyone? Thanks.

I think you may want another hard reset. Once the PPC is reset Outlook will have no record of it ever synching before. When you put it in the cradle you'll be asked to createa partnership (just like when you first got the device) and then anything you have on the desktop will be synced over to the PPC.

Converged
    schmenge:
    Thanks-I was going to simply delete the partnership and create a new one. I left the partnership name on the desktop, and the PDA, so perhaps this was the problem. My PPC was restored from a backup so the name of it for the partnership was still there, hence when I synced with the desktop, the PPC was not a "guest". So I still don't quite get why the desktop can't overwrite, but well, it didn't. Well, I just ended up re-entering the appointments manually, and now they're synced in. I don't enter anything to the desktop, so the PDA overwriting is fine. In addition, I am backing up my PIM data to the card every day now. All my programs were backed up when they first went in. But I had gotten away from backing up the PIM regularly, especially since I figured they were synced in anyway. But I learned my lesson to do a total backup. At this point, I'm okay with the desktop not being able to overwrite the PDA, since I'm now making sure that the PIM data is retrievable by card. And I do sync daily and can view my appointments on the desktop. My PPC is running fine now. I am not sure, but it may have been the card- I had a 1 GB card, and it had been running a little slower, but still worked,-no missed calls or anything like that. Then last week I had the big problem where the hard reset was necessary. After soft reset, it kept going to this file explorer type screen, wouldn't accept screen taps, so I'd reset again, same thing, over and over, and then finally it just wouldn't recognize the card. It now has a 512 mb card and it is running fine-minimal lag, so my fingers are crossed that it stays stable. I still really don't know for sure what the problem was, but it's been fine for 5 days now.

I used a Palm OS device for many years and really miss the desktop or handheld overwriting the other feature. If you had deleted the partnership you would have had the choice of combining the data of both the PPC and desktop or doing nothing, so not sure that would have helped.

Converged
    Perceptive of you to recognize Palm talk in me! I am also a Palm user, but right now, my PPC is my primary device and the only one I'm keeping my appointments/updated contacts, etc, in and synchronizing. And yes, the Palm desktop specifically has the feature where desktop overwriting the handheld is one of the options. I'll bet that's part of where my frame of reference is from! And wouldn't I have loved that availability last week! I have gone back and forth between the two platforms as my primary device, and for the last few months, it's been the PPC. I like either platform, but find that I prefer PPC for phone use.