+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rom Update

Rom Update

I don't see any post here regarding this Rom Update from Audiovox. Has anyone try it? What dit it fix? I just got my unit a few day ago and it work flawlessly so far.

I've also been trying a few diff. dialer softwares; phoneplus and Polata Telly. Both feel superior to the default dialer, but still not fully integrate with the phone. Any other software suggestions?

Converged
    I came across this reference to someone who did the ROM update. It's from the ATTWS (Cingular) forums. Sounds like the update resulted in locking the phone to Cingular. (weird since this was primarily a PPC phone locked to AT&T Wireless phone and Cingular as far as I know is not selling it, although I've seen that unlocked ones are available off E-bay, etc,)
    I went to the Audiovox site, and did see that an update was available, but as far as I saw, absolutely no description or clarification of it, no date, no nothing. AS for me, no way am I about to install it with a complete lack of information! Especially as my device is working just fine.
    I have a PPC4100 locked to ATTWS, and I was told by my local ATTWS (who were just transitioning to being Cingular employees) that it cannot be used with Cingular SIM cards.
    So even though I'm technically now on Cingular with the merger, I'm still on the same plan from my previous ATTWS coverage, using the ATTWS SIM card. I'm remaining as is, one of the many in between people who still want to stay with their "Blue" plans as opposed to migrating to new Cingular phones. Link to ATTWS forums
    Last edited by babsk; 02-27-2005 at 11:56 PM.

I got mine from ebay. It's unlocked. I am currently on cingular plan. My phone works on AT&T, Cingular, and Tmobil, but not nextel network. As far as the ROM update, I guess I'll wait...

It locks the phone....

I bought an unlocked phone on Ebay, ran the ROM update (dated 12 Nov 2004) and it locked my phone afterwards. I then went back to Ebay and had to purchase the unlocking solution from callme@rogers.com for U.S $45.00.

The unlocking solution worked great, and I am glad to have the unlocked .dll file, as it will be needed if I ever need to flash the ROM again.

I also have heard that a hard reset will lock the phone. Any experience with that?

Rom Update

I purchased my PPC4100 from a seller on Ebay and it appeared that it was unlocked by the seller but it turns out I had ended up with one of the few that was actually unlocked from the manufacturer. The way I found this out is that it is true... If you hard reset the file for unlocking is overwritten with the original and your phone becomes locked again. Before I did the rom upgrade I could reset all I wanted and it didn't lock. I did the rom update after getting the unlock file but I wish I hadn't because if the device resets itself (sometimes network problems can cause this) then it can wipe it and you can be left without the file because you have to copy it via activesync. It won't work any other way it appears. I have been researching XDA sites wondering if we could somehow figured out how to decompile the Audiovox rom (different type of rom) and then recomplile it replacing the file with the unlocked file and flash it to your phone so that it stays unlocked. Yes it seems very very ambitious but I thought I might at least look into it. Does anyone know how to back up a ppc4100 rom? I know how to get into the bootloader to load from SD but it doesn't work. Its holding the rocker in when you hard reset.

Hope my information is of some use to everyone.