+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy triband ? 850 doesnt work !:(

I got 2 of those phones and on the box its supposed to be tri band. ( 850, 1800, 1900)
    The first phone I got works on an 850 band sim. Th epther phone works on the other bands but not the 850. i was wondering if this can be fixed.

I contacted customer support for audiovox and utstarcom. None of them were any help they have no idea that the phone is tri band. !! then they start to ask me questions about how I would know if its on band 850 blahh blahh

Was trying to update the rom with the new file that’s available on the website but all it does is keep “checking content”. When I do close it says that the phone might be up to date and it doesn’t need to be up to date.

I was trying to find something in the phone setting that said that it was tri-band or what frequencies it can run on but there is no such thing that I could find. Is there a way to find out?

Has anyone looked at the manuals for this phone? It has the bands listed as 900, 1800, 1900 then if u flip to page 27 u will see them listing the band freq. again as 850, 1800, 1900. I mentioned that to the guy on the customer support he said its probably a type-o

I am thinking of reflashing the rom with the new software available from audiovox does anyone thing it might solve the problem ?
    Are the frequencies software driven or hardware? Is there another way to flash the rom image on to the phone?

Converged
    My PPC4100 manual says right on page 1 that it is tri-band 850/1800/1900, but in looking at page 27, yes, I see what you mean, for my manual too says 900. That's definitely a contradiction. However, I know that my device is operating on the 850 band. I have a locked device to the original US AT&T wireless network, now merged with Cingular. Cingular operates on 850, and my phone indicates that I am getting a Cingular signal.
    I have not done the ROM update on the Audiovox site. I have seen no information indicating what the update does, and my device is stable, so I don't want to mess with it, so I can't offer any helpful suggestions there. However, if I ever come across any info about the update, I'll post it. Good luck!

thanks for the info.. the new rom update as far as i know its a windows image. thats waht customer support said. it will update windows. if your pda is unlocked then uwill need to unlock it after the update.

still trying to find a way to force update the device.

Converged
    Originally posted by faramisimo
    if your pda is unlocked then uwill need to unlock it after the update.
    I'm assuming you meant to say if my phone is locked then I would need to unlock it if I did the ROM update. Thanks for that information-another reason why I won't bother with the update. At present I have no need to unlock my device, and I would have to find one of those services that unlocks phones which would likely void the warranty. My device is running well. My only concern is that sometimes it doesn't ring on my end long enough to answer the call, but I don't know if that is a PPC thing or hardware specific issue, as I've seen references to this with other PPC phones. Overall though, I am quite pleased with this device and it serves my needs well.