+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: rom access.

rom access.

is there a way to access the ro on this phone? or at least a way to force update the flash ?

You can access the bootloader and a diagnostics menu by holding the rocker in when reseting. If you go to bootloader with a SD card it it will start to try and load a flash from it but it needs some sort of match file? I am thinking I will try and talk to audiovox and tell them I need to upgrade from SD and try and get instructions. Might be more difficult because I am Canadian? But I will try and see if I can get them to help. I looked that the rom file and it had a pog file extension. No where on the internet is there any type of mention of a pog rom file. The only thing that comes up is descent (the game) because the level editor used some POG files. My hope is what if we could disassemble the rom file or even back up the current one and then add in the unlocked dll file and reflash. Then it wouldn't matter if it reset. WE could also possibly add in other things like the msn update, ect, ect. I know it might not be possible but if there were some others who have some knowledge then maybe we could look at it. Don't know how popular the PPC4100 really is but I think its pretty decent.

i am also canadian they gave me a little touble with asking questions about the 4100 if they bother you jsut tell them u are with rogers at&t they will do everything you say
    i got them to send me the cd for the sd upgrade i gotta wait and see if it comes sometimes this week.

when i first talked to them about this they had no idea what i was talking about they took my info and they got abck to me the next day till they found it and its on a cd aparently. just talk to them about it tell them your computer doesnt meet the req. hardware they will sent it no problem ..

where did u ge tthe info about holding in the rocker? thats amazing.. hahaha. sooo cool i was just playing with it.. i formated my pda LOL and now its its all locked and ****.. after the format it booted up but verry sloooooooooow. after the slow boot up i hard reset the pda its fine now.
    its fun ..
    my next step is to make force update the pda. i will do that as soon as my computer finishes doing some cpu intensive crap that that.
    will post any results if i get any

thanks for the info

I found out the method to get in the bootloader by trial and error using the fact that the rocker is used on the upgrade for the viewsonic. Why do you want to upgrade via SD? I want to know how and try it to see if it can be done in case I mess up the unit and I can't do it via activesync. I have been playing around with the xda rom tools hoping something there would help. I have been able to do what appears back up the rom as a nb1 file but I can't open it in their tools to see it. Nb1 is the format that xda uses. The viewsonic used .bin and then this one POG. I wish we could find out more about pog? ARe you in Ontario..I thought I saw a york university email associated with one of your posts. I'm from Ontario and work in Mississauga. Do you know any more posting sites that have info or people that have ppc 4100? I know mpx200.org has posting. We need to get whatever information we can.

my email is york-university@rocketmail.com. its a yahoo email before yahoo bought it off. i am in Honduras right now but yes my home is in Toronto, Ontario

I am pretty sure you check this but just incase if you haven’t, go to xda-developers.com they have quite a bit of tools for ROM access. I haven’t yet had the time to get to it I just found out about the boot loader trick ( thank you )

I booted my PDA with the boot loader while it being on the cradle. it detects a USB connection and it waits for host download but active sync wont detect it so no writes can be made from there. but it might be possible to use the xda-dev’s. ROM tools.

About the rom update file. Same here I got the same results as you did. i couldn’t extract any files from the pog file. I even slapped it in a hex editor nothing looked like it would make any sense. I could be wrong but think the file is encrypted.

Am trying to force update the pda because my brother’s doesn’t connect on a gsm 850 I hope that would fix it. Then we got the unlocking file that can be implemented in the rom so we don’t have to worry about it locking back again

Rom Access

I have had no luck with the tools off their. But maybe with the upgrade from the Sd we can get somewhere . However, my pocket pc is locking up under Rogers and it is driving me insane. It keeps resetting my device and it is driving me up the wall. Have you had any problems .

i just got mine but so far its running pretty good. i have seen some posts around stating that the sd card might make your pda lock up if you are using one try ejecting it for a while see how it goes.

Okay.. called Audiovox and got no where with the SD upgrade disc. They passed me back and forth from US to Canada and back and finally the guy said you had to do it from the web. These guys are rude (in the us) and they are not very knowledgable. So when you get the disk could you put it up for download or maybe I could pay you some shipping money via pay pal to make me a copy and send it to me? Don't want to do any trials until I get this disc so I have a way of restoring without activesync.

yes they are pretty rude and stupid. it took me a week to get somewhere with them. as soon as i get the cd i hope i will be able to post it somewhere on the web perhaps start a bt seed..

i didnt get the cd yet but i was playing with xda tools. i managed to dump the rom image from my 4100 its in format nb1 i dont know how to edit the file if its possible. do u know anything about that?

its a little tricky to do
    run the xda tools for source sellect current rom) for destination browse to your computer somewhere make sure u save it as an nb1 and make sure u add the extenton otherwise it wont work.

let me know how things go i will be looking for programs to edit the file when i do have time..

cheers.

adding to the above post :u can also save it as nbf extention.
    on a next note u can download romdump from xda-developers and it will dump the whole 64 megs to the sd card in a bin format... after that i am getting stuck i am not sure how to edit the images or write back

rom extract

hey, sorry I have not posted you back but I have been a bit busy .
    I too was able to extract the rom and then tried using one of the xda tools to edit but it is asking for ssort of password . cant remember the the name of the tool but think it has something like em2003 . I Will check tonight and post .
    Keep me informed .PS. the caller id cab file for the xda will work to give photo and ring id on the
    ppc 4 1 0 0 .

alright i finaly got the cd. the cd has the the rom file with a smaller file i am assuming its what makes starts the rom flash...

now both files are nb0 extentions. and thats all that there is on the cd. it did come with a letter wich i scanned and here it is posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rom access.-readme.gif  

so what i am thinking we can cook up a rom and go the same way about writingit to the pda. so now we have rom access as long as we know how to cook roms for it

i am not sure if the xda tools will work for the nb0 roms i will be working on that right now if i get the chance.
    now i am pretty sure someone would want the roms so i have them they are sitting here doing nothign for now. let me know or let me know where it can be posted.

This is definitely good news... especially since you can find mention of nb0 files on the net in conjunction with other roms. Yes I would love to have the roms posted somewhere. I have a website that I have to see if it is still active and then maybe you could ftp them to it? As soon as I get a copy I can begin working on it as well. Looking forward to hacking away at this. Good work.

This is definitely good news... especially since you can find mention of nb0 files on the net in conjunction with other roms. Yes I would love to have the roms posted somewhere. I have a website that I have to see if it is still active and then maybe you could ftp them to it? As soon as I get a copy I can begin working on it as well. Looking forward to hacking away at this. Good work.

It appears that nb0 are the same as nbf but with no header. From what I read nbf are encoded and have to be unencoded to a nb0 and then back to an nbf. Here is some info:

http://www.modaco.com/lofiversion/in...p/t109524.html

Why don't you try and see the contents of the files using one of the xda tools like dumprom? See if it can read the contents.

I will sign up for a free webhost today and give you the address. Could you pleae upload the files to it?

Thanks.

Framisimo,

I have sent you an email to your account listed above at rocketmail. Please read it and reply so I know you received it.

Thanks.

i have the file in 2 parts in my email i can forward it no problem. let me know ..

i attempted some things with it i didnt have much time i know verry little about these things. it asked me for a password and the other didnt support.
    i dont know.

i am uploading it in 4 parts to my yahoo briefcase. iwill send you the link as soon as i am done. ( 4 parts because it limits upload size. )

faramisimo
    oh i didnt get an email from you ..
    Last edited by naack; 04-21-2005 at 01:03 PM.

got it on yahoo crap.
    here is the link .. good luck

http://ca.f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/york-university

i didnt have any luck extracting the files i will read up on the link u sent me thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast