+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking SunCom comes through...

While this may be off topic, I've had resolution from SunCom on a replacement for the AT&T PPC4100. If anyone wants to know, send me a private message.

Talking SunCom has a great deal for PPC4100 owners

Oops, skip the private message. Here's the deal.

SunCom is giving all AT&T PPC4100 owners a free iMate Jam. I just picked mine up yesterday in Greensboro. All you have to do is walk in a store and grab one. You keep your 4100 and your current plan.

SunCom would like you to sign up for one of their plans, obviously. I did and got a great deal, but I didn't have to.

You can even call the SunCom customer service number and they will send you a phone as well (as soon as they get it in stock--not quite yet.) Right now, only the stores have the phones.

Kudos to SunCom for treating people fairly--VERY COOL. Cingular, on the other hand, is really taking it to AT&T folks who wander into their stores to convert. My advice: steer clear of Cingular and stick with SunCom. If only all carriers would "do unto others..."

tk, what store did you get it from? My local store does not have it. Thanks!

Greensboro store on Battleground Ave. The manager of the store said that some stores have them, they're just not telling anyone. Your store might have them--check with the manager and tell them your friend in GSO just got his phone.

Thanks, the store near my house does not have it. I'll check other local stores. GSBO is kinda far from me, but if it cames to that...

What came in the box with it? Is the headphones plug standard 2.5mm? Or it is proprietary like the PPC4100?

I am undecided whether to go with the I-mate or take the offer for the treo 650. I like the wince platform better, but the treo is quad-band which means it works better abroad.

And above all, how are you liking it compared to the PPC4100? Thanks!

i-mate excellent

I found the PPC4100 lacking in SOOO many ways. Anything would be better for me. I really like the i-mate. Nothing proprietary--standard 2.5mm. and just check out all the support available at xda-developers for the magician. You can mod this thing until your HTC Universal arrives

Check out http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/jam/ for a great review.

My only complaints so far are the cheapo headset they included in the box and the lack of a keypad/thumbpad. I'm a heavy Calligrapher user though, so shouldn't be much of a problem.

Microsoft Voice Command works great on this phone.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

I went today to the store in Chapel Hill that had the Jam in stock but they wanted to take my ppc back. I have way too much stuff invested in it, I don't want to give it back.
    Do you remember the name of the employee at the store that did it for you? Did you have to ask to keep your ppc? I had the emplyoee call the greensboro store but she was told that they would take it back too.

thanks for the link to the review, it was very informative.
    I saw the Jam at the store. The screen looks a lot smaller. Does that bother you?

Even the 800 number people say they'll send it out and not take back your phone. She wanted it back and I told her that national said I could keep it. All they're gonna do is trash the things if taken back. Mary, the store manager, was the employee. If national 800 sales center is not requiring an RMA type exchange, why would the store?

Screen hasn't been an issue; my eyesight it good and I don't use it to surf

I called all the stores, including the greenboro one and all told me that I have to turn it in. I told the manager in Ch that the phone was out of production and they didn't need it, but he would hear no reason.
    I called the 800 numer too and was told that it is store policy to take it back. The lady was nice and understanding, she said she would call the stores to check and call me back but heaven't heard anything so far.
    Was your phone unlocked? When I called the GSBO store they told me that someone walked in with an unlocked PPC4100 the day before.
    I will try and speak to Mary. Thanks for the info so far!

Maybe I got lucky. The whole reason Suncom is giving away a replacement phone, IMHO, is that their corporate made a decision not to violate whatever AT&T deal was struck with Audiovox. The PPC4100s were locked for reason and Suncom obviously made a decision not to unlock, even though there are definitely files out there that will unlock the phone. My phone was locked, but I used one of those files to unlock it. I've successfully used the PPC on the Suncom network.

Good luck and I hope this help.

IMHO, Suncom decided not to support the PPC4100 because it has too many problems. ATT already had pulled it off the stores before the merger. Audiovox does not manufacture it and provides hardly any support.

I soft-unlocked mine too, but I am tired of having to reset it 3-4 times a day. The PDA part of it works great, it is only the phone part that creates problems.

About the resetting thing, have u installed the PhotoContacts caller ID software or its modified cab file? coz my phone worked gr8 before i installed the abovementioned, then all i did was disable that feature and my fone is back to normal.

do i have to get suncom to get this phone for free lol let me know i have tmobile right now but hell ill switch lol i want this phone. how you getting it for free?

Originally posted by kdm212
    do i have to get suncom to get this phone for free lol let me know i have tmobile right now but hell ill switch lol i want this phone. how you getting it for free?
    Just ask for it...

Originally posted by Yaantra
    About the resetting thing, have u installed the PhotoContacts caller ID software or its modified cab file? coz my phone worked gr8 before i installed the abovementioned, then all i did was disable that feature and my fone is back to normal.
    Haven't done this, sorry can't help...

i dotn understand do you need to be an att customer? or do you need to sign a contract with suncom? whats the deal man?

i want this phone hoop me up with the details! please lol

Originally posted by kdm212
    i dotn understand do you need to be an att customer? or do you need to sign a contract with suncom? whats the deal man?

i want this phone hoop me up with the details! please lol
    I guess it's not super clear from this post how this works. Suncom is providing replacement phones for all AT&T customers who owned a PPC4100. Unless you fit those two criteria, no phone for you, as the Soup Nazi would say

this is insane i just got off the phone with suncom and hey said i can do this BUT i need a # that fits in there area code....the places they cover....will it work if i have tmobile?

As far as I know, Suncom is a regional carrier with plans available only in NC & SC.