+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GPS on 4100

GPS on 4100

HI, what's the best gps solutions for ppc4100??

Price...hw...where buy...

Check www.anextek.com under accessories for the SP230. That's the only dedicated one I found. Probably the only one guaranteed to work. It's not expensive either.
    I tried a BT GPS with toshiba BT SD card but couldn't get the card to work with the ppc4100. Others have tried a SD GPS and could not get it to work either. Search this forum for older posts.

Nemo, how would you ever know that this GPS would work with the PPC4100? I studied the referenced website and cannot determine that the SP230 is the same as the PPC 4100. Have you definitely used this GPS with the PPC4100, and if so, how does it attach? Does it need a separate source of power, of does it use the PDA battery?

Thanks,

Larry Cruzen

The sp230 and ppc4100 are the same phone, the only difference is that the ppc4100 is designed for the us market and works on the 850Mhz frequency, while the sp230 works on 900Mhz. I have not used that particular gps.

Well I use 4 navigation programs on my PPC4100
    1.papago (kingmap)
    2.Navigon navigator 5
    3.Destinator 3
    4.Microsoft pocket streets

I use a holux GM-210 mouse serial gps the only problem are the cables but the good is that your phone is plugged and charging all the time, if you don't want cables you can go with an SDIO GPS device but you will have some memory storage problems with some nav programs or an SDIO bluetooth with a BT GPS.
    As far as the programs papago light and accurate program, destinator and navigon are more advanced more memmory but no problem with my PPC4100 as for pocket streets good light program similar to papago but with no good map support for my country (Greece). Tomtom is working allright but I don't use it to tell you bug issues cause it has no Greece map support..

I hope to be usefull

I recently bought cables to connect my Audiovox PPC4100 to my Holux GPSlim 236 (bluetooth GPS receiver).

http://www.semsons.com/opcabforholb.html

In the package I received a Y-cable with and mini-USB to PS/2 (female) cable. The Y-cable has an Audiovox PPC4100 port, USB type A port, and PS/2 (male) port. The mini-USB to PS/2 cable connects the GPS receiver to the Y-cable.

The Y-cable appears to work, since I can sync the Audiovox PPC4100 with it, and I can charge both the PDA and the GPS receiver.

Unfortunately, I cannot receive any GPS data on any COM port on the Audiovox. I am at a loss as to why. I have tried every port number and bit rate without any luck.

Do I need a specific device driver to get it to work? Can the PS/2 (male) port on the Y-cable be used to connect any other devices to Audiovox PPC4100? (It would be useful to
    test with another device to make sure that the cables are okay.)

Does anyone have any expensive with using a PS/2 interface with a Holux GPS receiver.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance,
    Alicia.

Hi Alicia
    first of all plug the your PPC and GPS when you see that green light on the gps then start your GPS software.. if you have problems run the driver of holux on your PPC4100.. the com port of your PPC4100 is COM5.
    What GPS software you are using? I'm using Holux GM210 as you can see in previous post with papago(kingmap), navigon mobile, destinator,microsoft pocket streets and I have no problem at all...
    AUDIOVOX PPC4100

Dear Ritchie:

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, the tools CD that came with my Holux GPSlim did not include any PocketPC drivers. And I can't find any PocketPC drivers for the GPSlim on the Holix website:

http://www.holux.com.tw/Temp%20web/d...ta.html#GR-230

I have tried it with GPSviewer, PocketStreet 2005, and Mapopolis, and tried it with com port 5 using the procedure you described.

I am not familar with papago(kingmap). Is that similar to MapKing that provides Asian maps?

Anyways thanks again, I will post if I find any solutions.

Alicia.

hmm... just try to install the driver of GM-210 CE or Toshiba and try again.. I believe it's the same but differences the way they connect, and if so you install it via serial port I think it might work.. don't worry it wont harm your PPC if it is not working you just unistall it from ad remove programs on the PPC. it's just a driver... mapking it's similar to papago I don't know if it's the same program with different name.. papago v5 it's kingmap v2 I think papago v9 it's Mapking papago and holux have some kind of collaboration between them (both taiwan) but I don't think you need them to test your GPS as for Pocket Streets 5 works fine with me..
    AUDIOVOX PPC4100

Talking

Yippie!!!

I don't know if it was the GM-210 CE or Toshiba driver but I finally got the Audiovox PPC4100 to detect the Holux GPSlim236 on COM port 5 at 38400bps. I now have a working GPS solution for my pocketpc phone!

The Semson cables work great and I would recommend them to anyone. In fact I can use the Audiovox and GPS together without any external power source.

My only recommendation for the Semson cable would be that the remove the USB cable from the Y-cable and replace it with a short USB port. That way, I don't have an extra cable hanging out when I only have Audiovox and GPS connected; and when I want to sync or charge the devices, I can simply attach an USB extension cable to it.

Maybe I should buy a second cable from Semson and do some soldering.

Thanks again Ritchie for all of your help. BTW, I noticed that you are based in Greece. Can you recommend any PocketPC GPS maps for Greece?

Alicia.

The best working maps for Greece are located is PAPAGO (KINGMAP) and on Destinator 3.
    Navigon mobile has one but it's not so good as the other ones..
    Microsoft's pocket streets 5 is far the worst map of Greece , it only has the center of athens and some subs, tomtom anounces a map of Greece but we are waiting..
    If you interested about maps of Greece I can upload one or two GPS software with maps and post the links... and of course if you have maps of other countries you can use them as well...
    AUDIOVOX PPC4100

well..
    Here is Destinator 3.0.75 cracked with GreeK Maps...

http://rapidshare.de/files/6744666/Destinator.rar.html
    AUDIOVOX PPC4100

Got it. Thanks Richie.
    Alicia.

hello everyone
    i need help on getting cable wire for my Pharos igps-360. At www.gpscheap.com ( under search type " CX026" ) i found the wire for my PPC4100 but i am confuse about how to use that. I mean in that picture one end looks like PS2 (male or female) which is i dont want. On my Pharos gps 360 it has like 9 gold pin insert. When i talked to the sales person of www.gpscheap.com he said, it will work and it just a picture been cut off. Before i spent $40 bucks i like to know from people's opinion? please help.
    P.S If i buy this cable wire, will i be need another piece of wire that will connect from ps2 to my gps receiver?