+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hands on with the Storm

Yesterday, my Verizon rep let me use the Storm for about an hour and I must say that I was impressed. The click screen I think will take a bit of getting used to, but I don't think it will be much of a learning curve. However, I think the clickable screen is the thing that will either make or break this device with Blackberry users. The size is the device is much better than I imagined and the weight is just enough to give it the feel of a quality build.

I also purchased two of the charge pods for the Storm. They are very slick "cradles" that dock the Storm sideways. After docking, the standby screen displays and analog or digital clock that makes for a perfect beside alarm.

I will have mine in the morning and will try and answer as many questions about the device as I can. If you plan on getting one, please take some time and post your initial thoughts.
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

Yeah, I went in to play with it as well. Four things kept me from picking it up:

1. Fingerprints/smudges all over that beautiful screen. Ugh! Wiping all the time.

2. Web Browser would not run my favorite Wx site animated radar. Can't live w/o the ADDS radar site info.

3. The touch screen seemed somewhat inaccurate. i.e. I would press one thing and the adjacent key would be activated. Now this may improve with practice or, it may get worse.

4. The VZW store monkeys were the worst I have ever dealt with. I asked my price and they said $249. Then they checked my account and said "Oh, $499!" "I said wait a minute, I'm three months from contract expiration and I have a VZW VIP card." They said "Oh that card is no good on retail purchases." Well hell, why didn't the crap they sent with it say so.

Anyway, first they release an i760 u/d that cripples EVDO on their Nortel equipped towers, then they release a REVISED 6.1 update that fixes that issue and kills wifi web browsing. I can't wait to see how they FUBAR the Storm. Lack of wifi transceiver is already an issue.

In short, I'm getting pretty tired of the VZW abuse of their customer base. If it were anyone other than VZW, I might be willing to take a huge chance on a $500 BB. After their performance this year, I don't think so. I hope I'm wrong and its the device of the year. Maybe then I can convince them to let me have one for a reasonable price once my contract has expired.

Good Luck with yours. I will be interested in hearing your opinions.

RMD
    Last edited by rduckwor1; 11-22-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Mine is coming on Monday....let you know then...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Wait. MW is getting off the WM boat? I'll believe it when I see it!
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

Ugh...I already hate this thing. Pretty, but big and cumbersome for me to use. I don't think I'll make it through the week. I miss my exchange syncing, sling box, and the other 40 or so programs I have on it at any given time.... I think my wife will be getting the Storm, while I think I'll get the Touch Pro...

Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor1 View Post

4. The VZW store monkeys were the worst I have ever dealt with. I asked my price and they said $249. Then they checked my account and said "Oh, $499!" "I said wait a minute, I'm three months from contract expiration and I have a VZW VIP card." They said "Oh that card is no good on retail purchases." Well hell, why didn't the crap they sent with it say so.

RMD
    Online, after $50.00 mail in rebate, Verizonwireless.com has it for $200 with a two year re-up.

Stink, I want wi-fi, which is why I still have my xv-6700. Why oh why do they always leave that feature off?
    Last edited by tspace; 11-25-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tspace View Post
    Online, after $50.00 mail in rebate, Verizonwireless.com has it for $200 with a two year re-up.

Stink, I want wi-fi, which is why I still have my xv-6700. Why oh why do they always leave that feature off?
    Because we are VZW, we have the biggest network and we insist that you use our biggest network. We built it; you get to pay for it. Now shut up. Let us dominate you. Oh and BTW, you owe us $200 this month for the privilege of dominating you.

RMD

FYI...my Storm just arrived. Activated now. Will be testing over the weekend. Still set up as a secondary device (my Sammy i760 remains my primary) while I vet out the things that are important to me. I will report back next week what I find.

I have had mine for a few days and so far more good than bad. This is my first Blackberry so some learing there and certainly some learning for the typing but i must day the tech support by both verizon and RIM is great. i think i am going to ove it.

I have now had my Storm since Wed afternoon (the day before Thanksgiving) and, much to the dismay of my family, I spent a lot of time fiddling with it over the long weekend. Here is a summary of what I've found.
    As preface, my configuration is a corporate user (MS Exchange/Outlook/OWA) plus personal email accounts (Gmail). I was hoping to avoid BES, but it's looking like it will be required to fully get what I need (and, fortunately, a previous deficiency seems to have been resolved).
    1. RIM/VZW is supposedly going to release a firmware update any day now. The release on my Storm is 4.7.0.65. There is a leaked beta pre-release of 4.7.0.75 but it is rumored that VZW will release the production code as 4.7.0.76. It is supposed to greatly address any sluggishness in the device, especially related to the accelerometer --sometimes there is a long delay when rotating the device from portrait to landscape…this (along with other things) is supposed to be addressed in this release.
    2. For BES, I have read about the need to apply a maintenance release to BES in order to support the Storm.
    3. My hope of synching without BES, BIS, or the desktop redirector -- no dice. The rumors that I read about BB adopting the MS ActiveSync methodology seem to not be true. The best it can do (for me) is, via BIS, sync to OWA…but only email…no contacts, no calendars, no sub-folders. Apparently, the improvement I read about was the ability for BIS to sync to OWA…not the full MS ActiveSync capabilities.
    4. I am synching my email (both work and personal Gmail accounts) via BIS and it works just fine…that is, it works fine for any emails newer than the moment I activated BIS. There seems to be no easy way to get my full inbox (including older items) onto the Storm. I've tried the desktop program and, while it seems to talk about it, I can't seem to make it do it. The only way I have found is, on the desktop, to move everything from my Inbox into a temporary PST and then back to the Inbox…this seems to trigger the item to sync to the Storm. But, in the message display list, these items are then stamped with the date/time of this new sync…not their original date/time. Oddly, if I open one of those items, it displays it's real timestamp…it's just in the message list that it is odd this way.
    5. Via BIS, there is no ability to sync anything other than the main inbox (within the constraints above)…no sub-folders, no calendar, no contacts, etc. I have tried to get the desktop redirector to handle (wirelessly) contacts and calendar, but no dice. The best I can do is to sync those whenever I tether. Not acceptable. I have read about some add-ons that can accomplish this, but they involve yet an additional monthly fee.
    6. The issues I had in the past about BB not truly synching seem to be resolved. On my desktop, I can delete (in effect, put an inbox email into the Deleted Items folder) -or- I can move an item from the inbox to a PST and the item is (eventually) removed from the Storm. This is a tremendous improvement (previously, the item that bypassed Deleted Items would not be removed from a BB…the item had to reside in Deleted Items in order for it to be triggered for removal from the BB). I am awaiting a comparison (by my IT guys) to BES wherein someone who is using a Storm via BES will move an item directly from their inbox into a PST (bypassing the Deleted Items folder) and ensure that, via BES, it is removed from their Storm. (One must give it lots of time to sync this up -- I have seen it take a couple of hours for it to be removed…I have also seen it remove almost immediately.)

Overall, I actually like the device -- a lot. It has some challenges -- but all PDA's do. The old adage will hold true -- the "best" device for anyone is the one that they are the most accustomed to. I will probably be keeping this and switching over to it completely…pending the results on the ability for BES to do the "true sync", as I call it. If that works, then BES will be the way to go since it will do everything I need wirelessly (wirelessly sync contacts, calendar, email, and more).

Oh -- one more thing...while I would never want to diminish the importance of this forum (it has saved my life for my Sammy i760 multiple times!), I have found a pretty extensive one at BlackBerry Support Community Forums - BlackBerry 9500 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Best!

I couldn't last more than 12 hours with it. My office doesn't support BES, so that was a bummer. Couple that with the lack of VPN, slingbox, and some of the other stuff I like to run, I quickly transferred it to my wife's line.

She hates it! Part of it is learing "Blackberry", but she used the Pearl fine for a while. Lack of trackball frustrates her, and the screen tap-then-push frustrates her. What was the last straw is that it doesn't have a proximity sensor. So when you "shoulder the phone", the screen still recognizes taps. So she kept muting or hanging up on callers once she "shouldered" the phone. So back to the Dare for her, and I fear she is pining for the iPhone....

WOW! This ain't sounding good for RIM and VZW (too bad for VZW!!).

RMD

I just got my Storm yesterday and promptly loaded the latest beta OS (4.7.0.85) and there is a tremendous improvement in the accelerometer and typing speed/accuracy even over the .75 official release. On the original release OS (.65) the Storm was really bad. I setup 3 of them for people right away and I was shocked how bad it was. But then when the .75 update came out and I did them for 5 people I started to like it. I went thru 3 Omnia's and a Saga before getting the Storm. I wanted a pdaphone with a large touchscreen on VZW with no slide out keyboard. The Omnia was just bad and the screen was not much bigger than my Q9m and it (all 3) had the weakest cell signal ever. 25 missed calls in 5 days (only knew I had them because youmail sends me a text for every missed call). The Saga had terrible battery life and was really not that much better than my WM6.1 Q9m. I had forgotten how bad WM Pro is as a touchscreen OS. I really think that the WM Standard non-touchscreen OS is much better and easier to navigate and would lend itself more to be a finger friendly OS than WM Pro.

I enjoy the Storm more and more as I keep using it!

They leave off Wi-Fi because very few people care about it anymore....simple.

Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor1 View Post
    Yeah, I went in to play with it as well. Four things kept me from picking it up:

1. Fingerprints/smudges all over that beautiful screen. Ugh! Wiping all the time.

2. Web Browser would not run my favorite Wx site animated radar. Can't live w/o the ADDS radar site info.

3. The touch screen seemed somewhat inaccurate. i.e. I would press one thing and the adjacent key would be activated. Now this may improve with practice or, it may get worse.

Anyway, first they release an i760 u/d that cripples EVDO on their Nortel equipped towers, then they release a REVISED 6.1 update that fixes that issue and kills wifi web browsing. I can't wait to see how they FUBAR the Storm. Lack of wifi transceiver is already an issue.

In short, I'm getting pretty tired of the VZW abuse of their customer base. If it were anyone other than VZW, I might be willing to take a huge chance on a $500 BB. After their performance this year, I don't think so. I hope I'm wrong and its the device of the year. Maybe then I can convince them to let me have one for a reasonable price once my contract has expired.

Good Luck with yours. I will be interested in hearing your opinions.

RMD

I dont know how my experience could be SO different....

I Love my Storm. I am a WM convert. Always loved WM and stood by it....Now that a less expensive version of BES is available...Called Blackberry Professional Software (5 users about $500), I can sync with Exchange and its GOLDEN! and I can bring this to my Small Biz clients.... I will never go back to WM again. As far as I am concerned there is NO comparision. Especially if messaging is the main purpose of your use.

The battery life is another issue....ALWAYS a problem on WM, the battery on this thing lasts forever. I havent even done the .85 update yet and cant wait to do it. I can go on and on...but I am a happy Storm owner!

Have you installed the YouTube client for the Storm? It works great. This morning I watched about 20 Wiggles videos with my son and he was loving it. Yes, I said the Wiggles...

Is there a concensus as to the best OS right now? I see in this thread Miata running beta OS (4.7.0.85) -- is that the best to run or is there something new?

i am now actually running .86 and it is better than .85 - no media card inserted error on reboots plus really good battery life! typing speed and accuracy is better with every build too.

Nice - .90 is looking good except possibly for the camera but I could care less about the cam so I"ll load it and see how it works.
    Last edited by bobjamision; 01-21-2009 at 09:55 PM.

I am downloading .90 as I type this and will be loading it right away. The camera has yet to be good yet anyways so I am just waiting for that to be fixed in a future build. I dont use it much as it is.