+ Reply to Thread

Sync to OWA without BES or BIS?

I've had my Storm for one day and have been trying to get it to sync to my corporate OWA. I know all the settings (and the cert appears to be proper) since I have been successful at doing this via my i760 (WM 6.1). But, no matter what I try, the Storm just tells me (after entering all of the settings) that it cannot configure...not a very helpful error message (at least WM provides error codes that could be looked up for solutions). I have the Storm successfully getting GMAIL, but what I really need is my corporate email. And, since the Storm says it can sync to OWA, we want to compare that to using BES (which we have in house -- we are just hoping we can bypass it, as the device seems to indicate as possible).

So - has anyone been successful at getting the Storm to sync directly to OWA? If so, then I know it is still something on my end (and could well be some setting at the OWA level). Also if so, was there anything special you needed to do that made it work?

TIA!

So far, still no joy. It may be that the rumored ActiveSync integration is not true.

I have managed to finally get my OWA configured into BIS...turned out to be the "Mailbox Name" setting. It turned out that what I otherwise thought was my mailbox name was indeed not so. I had to launch (on my PC), OWA and, once all in, hover my cursor over my mailbox name. Then, on the bottom toolbar of my browser, it displayed the proper mailbox name for me to use (turned out I needed to use Firstname.Lastname). (I found this hint in the VZW support forums for the Storm.)

But -- This still does not accomplish what I desired -- full OWA synching just like WM does. Still more attempts to make... I may have to fall to BES...and hope that they have resolved what I experienced in times past...not "true" synchronization (an item must, at the desktop, reside in the "Deleted Items" folder in order for it to delete from the BB -- not a smooth situation...if I choose to file an item away to a PST, it never hits Deleted Items, and never is removed from the BB).

Quote Originally Posted by sdgardne View Post
    So far, still no joy. It may be that the rumored ActiveSync integration is not true.

I have managed to finally get my OWA configured into BIS...turned out to be the "Mailbox Name" setting. It turned out that what I otherwise thought was my mailbox name was indeed not so. I had to launch (on my PC), OWA and, once all in, hover my cursor over my mailbox name. Then, on the bottom toolbar of my browser, it displayed the proper mailbox name for me to use (turned out I needed to use Firstname.Lastname). (I found this hint in the VZW support forums for the Storm.)

But -- This still does not accomplish what I desired -- full OWA synching just like WM does. Still more attempts to make... I may have to fall to BES...and hope that they have resolved what I experienced in times past...not "true" synchronization (an item must, at the desktop, reside in the "Deleted Items" folder in order for it to delete from the BB -- not a smooth situation...if I choose to file an item away to a PST, it never hits Deleted Items, and never is removed from the BB).
    From whqt I have read on Crackberry.com forums all BIS does is send your email to your BB. Contacts and Calendar settings will not sync. I have been testing AstraSync (AstraSync - ActiveSync for BlackBerry - Connect a BlackBerry to a ActiveSync Exchange Server) but this is comes with an annual fee. To get true syncronization with Exchange, BES is the way to go. Just make sure your IT dept has applied the latest "maint release" to the BES so that it is compatible with the Storm. My IT dept has informed me they are not planning to install the maint release any time soon, so I got screwed.

Good luck!

I have been seeing the same things. I had read earlier rumors about the Storm adopting the MS Activesynch technology...so far, those seem to be false.

TY for the tip about the BES maint release -- since my IT guy is the one testing for BES, I am sure he will be motivated to apply the patch!

I did discover that, via BIS, the problem of removing an item from the BB while bypassing (on the desktop/server) Deleted Items is resolved! Yay! In Outlook desktop, I moved an item from inbox to a PST and, once the Storm reconciled through BIS, the item was removed from the Storm. This is good...and I only hope it is also "fixed" via BES because yes, I do need my contacts and calendar on my Storm as well.

More reports as I proceed...

Second test passed. Via BIS, I can also, in my desktop Outlook, return an item to the inbox (from, for instance, a PST) and it will also be returned to my Storm inbox. Which means that I should be able to put the older items in my inbox onto my Storm (only items after the moment I activated are on the Storm now) by simply moving them to a PST and then back to the inbox. I will try with one older item first and report back.

So, for inbox functionality, this is becoming almost identical to ActiveSync (which is what I wanted). The only thing missing is subfolders to the inbox...and I believe that indeed requires BES. My IT colleague is testing the BES connectivity and we are going to compare notes.

Calendar and Contacts remain unavailable via BIS. I also will want access to my Outlook GAL and I've found nothing via BIS to provide that to me.

Old items can come back

Third test passed. -- sort of. I took the oldest item in my desktop/server inbox and dragged it to a PST. I left everything alone for like 30 minutes. I then dragged that old item back to my inbox and it indeed was restored to the Storm. However, on the Storm, it shows as unread even though it is read on my desktop/server inbox. It also shows as being dated with the current date rather than it's actual older date...it shows this current date/time in the message list, but in the item itself it shows its correct older date. A minor inconvenience that should only need to be reconciled once. I will next (probably not today) drag all old items in the same manner and see how they replicate back to the Storm...given the date concern, I may need to drag them one by one, oldest to newest...hmmm...

FYI -- I'm keeping notes here so that I can hopefully get some comparisons to these exact situations to using BES. It is the ability to truly synchronize between the Storm and the desktop/server inbox that most interests me...and my prior experience with BES revealed that it did not do so. Previously, an item needed to reside in the desktop/server Deleted Items folder in order to be deleted from the BB device -- which was a problem when wanting to file away items from the inbox into a PST. Now, that appears to have been resolved...but I want to be sure that the same characteristics exist in BES before I jump into that.

Cheers!

It is looking more and more like I will have to find a way to make BES work. BIS will only fetch new emails and the Desktop Redirector does not seem to want to wirelessly synch calendar and contacts...besides which, that requires a desktop to always be running to perform the redirection. So, I will be working with my IT guy this coming week to see if BES synchs email as properly as I've found BIS to do.

All in all...I like the device. It deserves much more than a 20 minute test drive in the VZW store so as to give oneself the time to get used to it. As an old saying goes -- the best device for anyone is the one they are most accustomed to.

My final entry in this thread. I have determined that my hoped-for full MS ActiveSync compatibility seems to be false. See my post at Hands on with the Storm for more details of what I have found so far.

Cheers!

For the best experience you just have to go BES or BPS. I use the BB Professional Software which I THINK is just a smaller scale BES. I only have a few users.

My experience so far is that nothing else seems to give FULL reconciliation. of mail, contacts, calander, etc. I got use to that with Win Mobile and I just can never go back. I was a staunch WM user but I have to say now...I am a BB convert. It is SO much better than Windows Mobile its not even close. Faster, more efficient, easier to administer and with BPS, I have LOTS of management options that just isnt there with Exchange/WM.

The messaging alone with BB is just fantastic. Push really is instant. With WM, not matter how hard I tried I could never really get it to push instantly. Sometimes it would and sometimes it would take quite some time to get the email.

The ONLY and I do me ONLY issue I can find so far is that, if you delete from Outlook Desktop and then immediately empty deleted items (either manually or by exiting with auto empty on), those items will remain in the BB inbox. So the easy solution is to turn off auto empty when existing Outlook. Then every few days I give the BB time to reconcile (or I force a reconcile) and then I empty the Deleted items then. Not such a big deal really.