+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Screen Dust

Angry Screen Dust

Has anyone had an issue with dust getting under the screen. I have decided to return the Storm for the Omnia since my last phone was a WM. When I returned the Storm (to a Verizon agent) I was told the phone was not in "New" condition because there are very small specs under the screen. I have treated this phone with kid gloves and have always had a screen protector on it. It is my 4th "PDA". If this phone cannot be sold as a new phone, it is obviously defective.

I will be calling a Rep this morning to see what Verizon will do with this phone. I'll post their response.

Did you buy it from a corporate store or authorized reseller? That sounds like a joke to me. I took mine back to the corporate store tonight and they didn't even ask questions when they saw I was returning a Storm.

I would think that dust under the screen, which is a big clickable button, would be a common issue. Just like keys on a keyboard, there is no way to keep the dust out.
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

If you are within the 15 day return period then they should just take it right back. If not, do you have insurance on it? And YES they certainley can make the phone tokeep dust out...the fact it is a big "clickable button" should have nothing to do with it. This is a serious piece of equipment. I absolutely LOVE mine. I have been a staunch WM user since the beginning...I've had so many PDA's I've lost count....this is my first BB and I will NEVER go back. The messaging on a BB is so far superior to WM it isnt even close.

Mike: Did you notice that dust under the screen before you returned it? Just wondering if it was there before or after you bought it?
    Ascii stupid question, get a stupid Ansi.

I was able to trade the Blackberry for the Omnia. The GM from the authorized reseller was very nice and had no problems. I told him if within 30 days the phone could not be resold as new (because of the dust) then I felt this was a defect. I think they will return the phone to Blackberry to see if the dust can be removed.

I think the problem was that for the first 2 weeks or so I did not have a case for the phone. So for the first 2 weeks I put the bare phone in my pocket. I was looking for a belt clip case that would put the Blackberry to sleep. I actually found one at Walmart for $10 and it worked fine. I think that is where the dust came from. So if your going to put it in your pocket at least get a sleeve for it. I first noticed the dust when I removed the original screen protector and put a new one on it. Thought it was dust under the screen protector and it would come off with the protector. The original did not last very long since I was sliding it in and out of my pocket.

Anyway, now I have an Omnia WM 6.1 Pro. I like the physical size a little better but I liked the Storm's screen size better. The optical mouse is pretty cool especially once I found a way to easily switch it from 4-way nav (like the roller ball on the Blackberry) to a cursor. Plus the FM radio and TV out features.

My last phone was the Samsung i730 so I was use to WM. I like the phone because it has the WM platform. However, I don't like the phone because it has the WM platform. But the main reason I wanted to go back to WM was for the software that I had purchase for WM and couldn't find it for the Blackberry. Mainly a calculator called Neocal that will do just about any calculation you can think of.

Anyway, I spent most of the weekend setting up the phone the way I wanted it. I still need to set up instant Gmail and get it tethered.

Thanks for everyones input and suggestions. That's what makes these forums invaluable!!!

Mike

[QUOTE=Proxis;770098I absolutely LOVE mine. I have been a staunch WM user since the beginning...I've had so many PDA's I've lost count....this is my first BB and I will NEVER go back. The messaging on a BB is so far superior to WM it isnt even close.[/QUOTE]

I feel EXACTLY the same way! I cant beleive it took me so long to move to BB!

As far as the dust goes, I think it is going to be an issue for everyone who hs one, especially if you keep it in a pocket. I have heard of some people having luck removing dust by running their vacuum over the phone!

BTW... I went thru 3 Omnia's in 5 days because of terrible signal issues and a Saga because of the horrific battery life. The Storm on the other hand has excellent signal and call quality and great battery life. I am finally happy!

Proxis, hopefully we get some more Storm users in here!

BlackBerry Junky
    Unfortunately, dust under the screen is a common issue on almost all BlackBerry's.

My previous Pearls, Curve's and 8800's all had dust issues, although my Storm is by far the absolute worst with this problem.

now that im on my 3rd storm, i have not had one long enough to get a lot a dust!