+ Reply to Thread

A few questions from a prospective Storm buyer

Hi all.

I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to answer a few quick questions for me.

I'm seriously considering getting the Storm and then switching back and forth to my i760 whenever I feel like it.

I know a few of you have switched from the 760 and I was curious about a few things.

1. How does the dialing prediction work on the Storm? Whenever I start to dial a number on my phone I get an automatic list of all numbers that match whatever digits I enter from my phonebook. As I type more letters, the list narrows down and it's very easy to select a person from the drop down list. Does the Storm have the same function?

2. Has BB adjusted the finger scrolling to act more like SPB or iPod so that you don't need to flick it for every screen scroll? That was one thing that drove me crazy when I tried it at the store. Not the end of the world but when I got to an 8 page EULA and I had to keep flicking the screen it got pretty annoying. Is there a way to do a gesture just so you go to the end of whatever screen your on? (sort of like a home/end gesture).

3. Are you getting used to the click screen? I went back this weekend and had some real problems with accuracy (not sure if this display phone had any software upgrades). Although I have accuracy problems with the Samsung's keyboard too - mainly b/c of the pause for typing so this isn't a huge deal and I'm guessing you learn to adjust pretty quickly.

4. Are any of you using your desktop Outlook to sync? What is your experience? Oddly on my 760 (WM to Windows) I almost always have conflicts with Activestink and have to manually go in and stop the program. Is there a better interface for the Storm to connect to desktop Outlook? I don't have exchange or anything like that.

Thanks in advance! Really looking for compelling reasons to switch or stay put.

Jay

Long story short -
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

Well...
    After having just gone through 3 Omnia's and a Saga i770 in the last 2 weeks, I am receiving my Storm tomorrow. I have setup 6 different Storms for friends/clients over the last month and honestly, it is a good phone. Call quality and signal is strong. The touchscreen works really well, especially if it has had the latest software updates. I can type very fast on it now actually and I really like that you have to click the screen. I dont like typing all that much on an iPhone but is nice on the Storm. I have had my Q9m for 1 year as of today and it is a great phone, and had a Q for a year before that and an i730 for year and a half before that. I bought a BB 8830 back in September just to learn how BB's work and I really like them and the trackball navigation. With the Storm, instead of the trackball and a click you use your finger and a click. Scrolling works very well I feel. Syncing with your PC and BB is easy with Outlook. Make sure you have the latest Desktop Manager (4.7.xxx). When you sync, it show you any changes in each of the different syncs (calendar, tasks, notes, contacts) and has you confirm them so you cant screw up. The Roxio Media Manager also works really well for syncing music, vids, pics. And one place where BB blows WM out of the water when syncing is the backup utility, device switch wizard, and application upgrade modules in Desktop Manager. For example, when you do a ROM upgrade, it backs up you phone (3rd parties and all), loads the new ROM, and all your stuff back! You can also remove stuff from the OS to save memory like language support packs, etc. Hope that helps!

I want a nice big screen and an OS that is finger friendly - Storm here I come...

See my answers below:

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetNut View Post
    Hi all.

I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to answer a few quick questions for me.

I'm seriously considering getting the Storm and then switching back and forth to my i760 whenever I feel like it.

I know a few of you have switched from the 760 and I was curious about a few things.

1. How does the dialing prediction work on the Storm? Whenever I start to dial a number on my phone I get an automatic list of all numbers that match whatever digits I enter from my phonebook. As I type more letters, the list narrows down and it's very easy to select a person from the drop down list. Does the Storm have the same function?

This does not appear to be an option. I DO miss this feature from my past devices. I initially thought this could be turne on somewhere but I do not see a way to do this. This is one of the only drawbacks I've been able to find on the Storm so far.

2. Has BB adjusted the finger scrolling to act more like SPB or iPod so that you don't need to flick it for every screen scroll? That was one thing that drove me crazy when I tried it at the store. Not the end of the world but when I got to an 8 page EULA and I had to keep flicking the screen it got pretty annoying. Is there a way to do a gesture just so you go to the end of whatever screen your on? (sort of like a home/end gesture).

not that I know of...

3. Are you getting used to the click screen? I went back this weekend and had some real problems with accuracy (not sure if this display phone had any software upgrades). Although I have accuracy problems with the Samsung's keyboard too - mainly b/c of the pause for typing so this isn't a huge deal and I'm guessing you learn to adjust pretty quickly.

Love the click screen. Took getting use to.

4. Are any of you using your desktop Outlook to sync? What is your experience? Oddly on my 760 (WM to Windows) I almost always have conflicts with Activestink and have to manually go in and stop the program. Is there a better interface for the Storm to connect to desktop Outlook? I don't have exchange or anything like that.

Get an Exchange Hosted account from one of the companies that do this and make sure they also have BB hosting. Together should cost about $20 a month. As far as I am concerned this is the only way to go with syncing a BB. Also give you some additional benefits, like Outlook over the Web.

Thanks in advance! Really looking for compelling reasons to switch or stay put.

Jay

Long story short -

I have my Storm now and cannot rave enough about it. I installed the latest beta OS last night (4.7.0.85) and it makes a HUGE difference on the screen orientation and with typing speed and accuracy. Some of the camera lag issues are fixed too. I upgraded 2 other people to that OS today and since they have had theirs since day 1 of release they were blown away by the change. The biggest change for me is getting to a contact quickly. Since there is no physical qwerty you need an extra click or 2 to get to them. I either use the fantastic voice dial (the newest version of Voice Signal) or hit the send button which brings up the dialer screen and gives you a shortcuts to your call log or your contacts. I then hit either the call log and highlight the contact and hit send or hit the contacts button, swipe up the screen for the keyboard and hit a letter or 2 to get to the contact. When driving I just use the voice dial whereas on my Q9 I would usually hit the keyboard quickly then send and not use the voice dial as much. You can also use 2 thru 9 on the dial keypad for speed dials.

No diss to my Omnia brothers here on the forums, but the Storm is really a much better touchscreen phone. It is made for touchscreen - NO stylus needed, ever! I really like that you click the screen - I find it a much better typing experience than the iPhone because of that (plus the landscape keyboard). The screen is AMAZING, and video look great. Viigo and Google Maps work fantastic on it and look huge on the beautiful screen. And hey, you get the great BB email experience. And IMO, the browser works very well and renders pages quickly. The built in Facebook and Yahoo Messenger work great too.

Hopefully we can get some more Storm users in here!

Quote Originally Posted by Miata492 View Post
    I have my Storm now and cannot rave enough about it. I installed the latest beta OS last night (4.7.0.85) and it makes a HUGE difference on the screen orientation and with typing speed and accuracy. Some of the camera lag issues are fixed too. I upgraded 2 other people to that OS today and since they have had theirs since day 1 of release they were blown away by the change. The biggest change for me is getting to a contact quickly. Since there is no physical qwerty you need an extra click or 2 to get to them. I either use the fantastic voice dial (the newest version of Voice Signal) or hit the send button which brings up the dialer screen and gives you a shortcuts to your call log or your contacts. I then hit either the call log and highlight the contact and hit send or hit the contacts button, swipe up the screen for the keyboard and hit a letter or 2 to get to the contact. When driving I just use the voice dial whereas on my Q9 I would usually hit the keyboard quickly then send and not use the voice dial as much. You can also use 2 thru 9 on the dial keypad for speed dials.

No diss to my Omnia brothers here on the forums, but the Storm is really a much better touchscreen phone. It is made for touchscreen - NO stylus needed, ever! I really like that you click the screen - I find it a much better typing experience than the iPhone because of that (plus the landscape keyboard). The screen is AMAZING, and video look great. Viigo and Google Maps work fantastic on it and look huge on the beautiful screen. And hey, you get the great BB email experience. And IMO, the browser works very well and renders pages quickly. The built in Facebook and Yahoo Messenger work great too.

Hopefully we can get some more Storm users in here!

Ditto Lou! I'm here!!

And I am glad to see you in here!

Hi guys. Thanks for the feedback! I will have to go to the VZW store soon and play around with one a bit more but you're helping me to make my decision.

Happy New Year and thanks again!

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetNut View Post
    Hi guys. Thanks for the feedback! I will have to go to the VZW store soon and play around with one a bit more but you're helping me to make my decision.

Happy New Year and thanks again!

Jay
    Dont walk....RUN...you'll be happy you did!

HNY to you too.

Proxis,
    Have you tried the Weatherbug application yet? It works great! It is optimized for the Storm and gives you an icon with the current weather/forecast on it. When you click on it you get a full forecast/weather map/etc. Runs thru BIS so is really no big overhead on the machine.

I did get it and it IS awesome. I like it. I think most gadgeteers like us...are also weather buffs so it makes sense. I also got the Autolock app too. I really like this one because I dont have to worry not about locking it, which I do everytime, only unlocking.

My other cant live without program is Viigo. The Storm beta of Viigo works really well and it is free. I was using it on my Q9m as well.