+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are there more Storm users here on PDAPH???

Are there any more Storm converts here on PDAPH?

I don't think there are many users at this point. I plan on getting one in April for me an my daughter. I hope this forum picks up so I can learn from it as much as I have from the other forums.

dudes...I was a Windows Mobile (since the beginning) user and am an IT professional. I am very picky with my technology and I can safely say..the Storm is a very very nice device. So much so that I am completely sold on it. I wouldnt go back to WM at this point for anything. The reasons are just too many to list here but it is a GREAT unit. As with any unit there are some minor nuances but they are minor and very tolerable. Also, I am impressed by the rapid fire release of several firmware updates already to address some problems.

All in all a very nice little toy and I love mine.

As far as, "not being many users at this point" I beg to disagree. I am in the NY Tri-State Metro Area and on the DAY OF RELEASE the Storm was sold out at every Verizon store in the Tri-State by 10am. I went home and ordered it online who was also sold out and I had to wait 3 weeks to get it. So not many users....I would think there are very many. All of my clients are getting it or have gotten it and I cant keep up with the work getting them integrated with their Exchange Servers.

I do IT/Tech/Sales/Marketing consulting for car dealers and pretty much all the main guys get what I get because I set them all up for them. I already had 5 Storms going at my main client and now there will be even more coming. Everyone comes to me for what to get! Unfortunately none of my dealers want to spend the money to do a BES/BPS solution or and Exchange solution so everyone runs their stuff through BIS or Outlook on WM which is kind of lame...

BB w/out BES is a PITA - been there done that back in the day. It's funny how Verizon is advertising BB"s as cute and cuddley when most of us IT pro's know that its a business tool (one of the best IMO). In any event I played around with one during the beta (large account with VZW - rep gave us some early on to check out) and I was impressed with the device but not with the keyboard.

In any event after reading about results folks were getting with the custom ROM I'm ready to try again - Will have another Storm in tomorrow morning.

i am dealing with the no BES PITA right now! my contact syncing is driving me completely nuts! syncing outlook with DM is ok - contacts/tasks/notes are just fine, but contacts... DM loves to create duplicates and screw with recurring events! AS/WMDC with WM is way better in syncing respects but BB DM is great for OS loads/upgrades/backups. i am in the middle of trying ThinkPost.net for wireless syncing of Outlook. Loading it tonight after a full wipe. it looks like a good way around BES but i just might end up doing a hosted BES deal...

i am loving the keyboard now!

Quote Originally Posted by bobjamision View Post
    BB w/out BES is a PITA - been there done that back in the day. It's funny how Verizon is advertising BB"s as cute and cuddley when most of us IT pro's know that its a business tool (one of the best IMO). In any event I played around with one during the beta (large account with VZW - rep gave us some early on to check out) and I was impressed with the device but not with the keyboard.

In any event after reading about results folks were getting with the custom ROM I'm ready to try again - Will have another Storm in tomorrow morning.

Let us know how ThinkPost works out for you - I know that we recommended it for a few of our smaller clients a while back and so far so good.

What we need is exchange active sync for the BB - I'm super impressed with how seamless it is under WM6.1 - I never thought I'd say it but IMO its right there with a BES Sync.

Have you heard of [url=http://www.notifycorp.com] they have a new solution called NotifySync that we may be reviewing for a few of our clients. Looks good from our initial look.

I want to be able to end of life my 8830 and in order to do so I'll have to get to a point that I can use the Storm kybd just as efficiently
    Last edited by bobjamision; 01-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Well so far, ThinkPost is a bust, but the owner Vincent who responds faster than immediately to your support emails is working on the fix for me. What is happening is that when my calendar syncs to his server, it is making doubles all of my yearly recurring appts on his server but not on my outlook. Strange... We will be working on it some more this morning.

I am going to check ou the NotifySync today.

By the way, to really make the keyboard perfect, you stick a little piece of felt (the thinnest brown, round ones they sell at Lowes) that are normally used to keep from scuffing floors, furniture etc. on the center of the inside of the battery cover and the glass clicks AMAZINGLY!

jumped ship

I just jumped from wm on my samsung i730. This was the hardest decision for me because i have had that i730 for 3 years. I wasnt gonna buy a new battery for it and the omnia just looked too cute with the lipstick tube on a lanyard. The omnia was the perfect thing for a wm user like me to transition to but was poorly executed with the mouse pad and stylus which should be contained in the device. It was a biotch to navigate through all those windows screens with my finger. I loved my samsung i730 and hated not having a camera during those moments, but the thing I loved most was the contact manager with the vast resources it had for me. i have currently 400 or so contacts set up in subcategories so that is the only thing to transfer besides the pics from my sd card. If the bb isnt easy to navigate to find those contacts, its going back and I have to be subjected to not be converged or get something clunky like the touch pro. I have found alot of applications for it thus far and it is very user friendly and am enamored by the stylish looks and excellent build quality. I hope it is a productive tool for me.

i think you will find the transition to be pretty easy and once you get used to the BB OS you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner! i couldnt stand the omnia or the saga so i went with the storm and i am not looking back! it took a little getting used to getting to your contacts quickly but now it is a breeze.

Have been using the Omni for the past 10 days and lots of things about the phone are driving me crazy - I actually really like the Mouse. It won't come into its own until WM7 IMO.

I'm really liking the BB once I got the damn Enterprise Activation to complete.... I was just too impatient and not letting it complete when it looked to be stuck at 50 percent, 72 percent, 82 percent... 3 hours later and my 5th attempt ( 2 wipes , 2 reloads) and I have success - or should I say it completed with some errors but so far so good.

I have 3000 contacts from our GAL and am still getting used to navigating through all of them. In reality I only call/use a handfull of these so I plan to setup speed dial's and preferences for key contacts.

Running .90 and things are quick enough for me.

Angry problems with outlook and the storm

I oringinally had no problems with the storm and outlook however now nothing I put in the device calandar goes to outlook. I also can't get anything on outlook to go to the device. I have tried setting the sync to go from device to outlook and the opposite nothing will go. I am a little frustrated with the storm. I have checked the email account that are attached to the calandar and they show the entries but they do not sync with the outlook. I have 501 old appointments that I am tring to save I think the storm must have a # limit it worked fine up till then.

I take it you are not using a BES server... I have not played around with desktop sync for .. well ever since they came out with a BES option. I remember having all sorts of problems/issues back in the 'day. If you are serious about your email you might want to check out one of the many exchange hosting sites.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmarch View Post
    I oringinally had no problems with the storm and outlook however now nothing I put in the device calandar goes to outlook. I also can't get anything on outlook to go to the device. I have tried setting the sync to go from device to outlook and the opposite nothing will go. I am a little frustrated with the storm. I have checked the email account that are attached to the calandar and they show the entries but they do not sync with the outlook. I have 501 old appointments that I am tring to save I think the storm must have a # limit it worked fine up till then.
    yeah, for some reason outlook/BB DM/storm syncing can be a little finicky. as far as dealing with old appointments make sure that you have done the following:
    go into calendar > options > "keep appointments" set to "forever"
    this may also help with other issues as well.

I am also looking into other ways of keeping outlook synced (thinkpost.net). will report.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjamision View Post
    I take it you are not using a BES server... I have not played around with desktop sync for .. well ever since they came out with a BES option. I remember having all sorts of problems/issues back in the 'day. If you are serious about your email you might want to check out one of the many exchange hosting sites.
    i am now really wishing i had BES! although i am going to finally get to try to get thinkpost.net working today since i am working from home and will have time to play. if i cant get that to work the way i need i am definitely going to look in to a hosted deal.

BES has some issues as well - or should I say one issue under .90 I found it took a LONG time (3 hours+) to get a full sync... even after 3 hours it said complete with Errors - but everything appears to have been completed.

Side by side my PPC device gets messages just a nudge quicker than my BB on BES. In any event I find WM 61 much better at push than 5.

For users with an Exchange Server that are stubborn about spending $500 on BPS so they can enjoy great syncing, they should use a hosted exchange service that also has BB hosting too...like mailstreet.com or something. Can get pricey but what do they want it for free? I cant see a BUSINESS.... NOT spending $500 on BPS. Just foolish.

Proxis, you are right, $500 on BPS is a chip shot. I need to get my client to do it. Actually, I am sure I can find a way to just slip it in! I am gonna do some research on it today and see exactly what I need to do it. I need it for myself, the owner of the company, and the General Manager of the company. So that is the right solution. Now, if I understand correctly, we will need Exchange hosting to use BPS correctly, and that is easy as our email hosting company (1and1.com) charges only $6.99 per month, per account for Exchange and they give each account a copy of Outlook 2007 which is an added bonus (although I already have it.).
    Last edited by Miata492; 01-29-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Hey Lou
    Dont want to go off topic here but maybe this thread can benefit others. (maybe give it its own topic?)
    If you are not going to run Exchange in house then you are going to have to also find hosted Exchange that also gives you hosted BES/BPS also. BPS has to run on the same server as Exchange. Thing is this can get pricey as many hosted Exchange companies don’t give you much space for your $$. You end up having to archive a lot. Also many of my clients don’t want to have to go to an archive every time they need something. (realizing you can search archives just as easily in Outlook 2007). Since most of my clients need to run a file/print server, I just have them all on SBS2003 and now I am moving them to SBS2008, as they need to upgrade. As you probably know, SBS includes Exchange Server (among other things). One caveat about SBS2008, in that it contains Exchange 2007 which REQUIRES 64 Bit now. So you have to buy a new Server if going to SBS2008.
    So I find it more cost effective to just run exchange in house and then add BPS to it. Even if you got hosted Exchange at $7/mo. and then they added BES hosting for another $5 that’s $12 a month PER account. So if you had 3 thats $36 per month, in PERPETUITY, and you have to deal with imposed limits. Add one more and now you’re up to $50. That may sound cheap next to the cost of a new server, with Exchange, etc. But not if you are a small business and need a file server ANYWAY. It’s a complicated illustration but the added cost of Exchange is really not that much because in my world small business HATE the little month expenses and would rather not have them.
    Sorry again if off topic but I wish someone would have laid this out for me like this when I was a noob.
    Last edited by Proxis; 01-30-2009 at 01:03 PM.

ahhh... very good info. BPS may be out then... not easy to get car dealers to spend any money right now - even a Mercedes dealer! I am going to price everything up in the meantime to see what I can do. Thanks big time for the info!

My partner just recently upgradded to the BB Storm and so far really likes it. We are seeing a few problems and I am curious if anyone else has seen the same thing or knows of a fix. When a call is incoming, we get a little clock on the screen (like the phone is "working"). This clock remains until the call is missed and then unanswerable. Any suggestions? Also, we occasionally get a SIM card rejected message. Thoughts?? Thanks!!