+ Reply to Thread

Notebook Internet connection via the Storm?

Is anyone connecting to the internet on their notebook computer via the Storm? I have been using my Treo 700 and connecting via Bluetooth to my notebook and thus accessing the internet. When I try it with my Storm, I get directed to a Verizon page wanting me to buy additional service. Is there a way around this? Thanks!!

i am beta testing some new software call tetherberry - TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere
    go to the site and check it out.

Does it by-pass the verizon safe guards that frc you to use their tethering software?
    John 3:16 is more than a sign between the goal posts.

Does VZAccess Manager, VZW'as tethering software, cost extra?

mobishark $55
    tetherberry $60
    junefabrics.com(pdanet) is the cheapest software. $29

i tried the vzaccess software. it wanted to create an account so i bailed on that program. not wanting to take a chance on having the tethering added on to my bill

there's also windows dial up. for free. but you need to know the username and password.

don't expect great speeds. for being a EVDO Rev. A. 3G. it's worse then dial up. the 8330 on sprint which isn't 3G kicked it's butt. but i'm kind of wondering if there isn't a block on verizon somehow maybe if you don't have the tethering plan added on to the internet plan.

i've had 2 winmo phones on sprint. and 8330 on sprint. and storm on verizon. they all tested at 125kbps. but only storm ran slow.
    Last edited by snowwy66; 03-23-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Ok snowwy66 im not sure if you were using quick2net connection thats the only connection that will give you such slow speeds. my current storm give me about 900k on bluetooth and 1.5mbps via usb.

yawn: no vzam is free but you have to pay to tether your phone which is either $15 or $30 depending on your data plan.
    you can use pdanet which works the best or just pay for it.
    also you dont ever need to use vzam is i dont on any of my computers.

now you can use qnc connection which is slow as dirt but will charge you min of use vs paying to tether.

Hey guys, thanks for the info... your speed differences may very well be related to differences in location. Ok, so the software VZAccess Manager is free but to use it you get charged $15 or $30... I get that... but if you could tether with something other than VZAccess manager and do so without the extra cost, than why would anyone use VZAccess Manager? It does not sound like VZW to allow for use of something free when they want you to pay for it...what am I missing here
    thanks

Anyone have an answer? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyway, does PDANET and tetherberry by-pass the VZW safeguards for tethering? Thanks guys

Yes, I think it uses a different way of connecting that circumvents the 'typical' way Verizon would know you are tethering. I'm not sure how but if you go to their websites you'll probably be able to get a better idea.

I use PDAnet on my Sammy i760 and it's ok. Nothing spectacular but convenient and pays for itself within 2 months.

Hope that helps.

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

Does the PDAnet have a trial or demo period? Cost is much more reasonable than the mobi or tetherberry.

does it violate any VZW rules regulations?

Yes, I'm pretty sure pdanet has a trial (30days). Just do a google search and you'll find it pretty easily.
    In terms of violating - well, I don't know that there is anything specific not allowing it. If you do a search on these boards you'll find descriptions from people much more knowledgeable than me about the subject. If you are not using the internet for massive streaming and downloads I'm not sure that it is an issue but I don't know their policies that well. I've never had a problem with it but I really don't use it that much.

Hope that helps. Your best bet is to search on this board and see what you find.

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

search what and where for VZW policy on by-passing their tether software to use someone elses? Anyone have a clue if they say specifically mdont do that? thanks gadget for your help
    Reread a previous post... so it circumnavigates the VZW protocals to monitor tethering?

pretty much you are not allowed to tether unless using VZW's software and plan but... software like pdanet and tetherberry allow you to do it without being snagged by VZW. just dont be downloading gigantic files and streaming HD shows, etc! you will be fine - i used pdanet forever on my WinMo phones with no issues...

Here was VZW's official response via two emails:

Using a BlackBerry as a tethered data connection with our software or a 3rd party application requires that you have the both the Email & Web for BlackBerry Data plan and the 5 Gigabytes of Mobile Broadband Connect feature are required on your account.

The Mobile Broadband Connect is a feature that allows you to use the Storm as a modem. This is a separate feature versus browsing directly from the handset.

It s also anoother $30 dollars to simply use the phone's desginated features and the "unlimited" data that I am already paying for... so help me if their coverage was not the best...
    Last edited by yawn; 05-04-2009 at 03:00 AM.

I have no idea how adds popped up into my reply to this... now a little more irritated than I was a few moments ago and to make matters owrse one of the adds is for VZW!