+ Reply to Thread

HELP WITH CONTACTS ARGHH

I am a newb I admit it and will begin from there so dont flame me. I have had my sammy i730 since 2005 and have replaced it with a Storm and have made a good decision to stick to it instead of a winmo device such as the omnia which I almost did.
    Here is the reason for the post:
    I have aprox 600 or so contacts stuck on my sammy and dont want to buy a new charger for it or cradle, but cannot get all of my contacts, and notes etc...off of it to my BB. I have tried to sync but something either in the cords etc is not functioning. I went to a Verizon dealer and they synched all of the contacts but only their phone numbers. I have extensive data about some of the contacts which is a vital part of me doing business and none of this info can be gotten. My laptop is old and has no bluetooth. It does have wifi, I have installed the original activesync that came with the sammy, i dont think it is recognized by the laptop. I have xp running on the machine and I think winmo 5 on the sammy. I have backed up all of the contacts etc to the laptop before but that was with an older harddrive which I removed and replaced with a new harddrive and a fresh install of win xp pro.

Question 1: can I send all the contacts to the sd card, then synch that to outlook or bb manager thus saving all info?

Question 2: can I bluetooth the contacts over and all of the data be intact? I have tried mating the two, but mating the two is as bad as sticking boiled macaroni up a wild cats ass.

I will buy a cradle and cord if that is my only resort as this is why I went to a storm in the first place. I was reluctant to buy a new battery and charging cord on a 4 year old phone.

any hoo thats the crux of my question and any help would be better that what i have achieved so far. Thanks all.

so you have no cable at all to sync it with? if you can just get it synced with outlook you would be all set - you wouldnt lose anything. just get a charge and sync cable of of ebay for cheap and get it synced with outlook.

Hmm, so it sounds like you have 2 problems (well 3 if you count the extraction of the macaroni stuck up the cat's ass )!!

So the first is how to get the Sammy synced up with your Outlook so EVERYTHING you need for each contact is in Outlook.

Then I would backup your data on the Sammy (you can find some free trials or free programs that will backup just the Outlook info on pdaphonehome). This way if something happens you won't lose all of that important data.

Then (and I don't even have a BB so someone with more knowledge would be better than I to confirm this but this is how I start most phones) what I would do is to reset the Storm so that there are NO contacts on there at all. Once you go to sync the phone to put the better Outlook data in there you will either have a bunch of duplicates or one will overwrite the other. By getting everything out of the Storm's database you should get a clean sync of the data once you get that to happen.

Now, in terms of the cable/cradle - did you not get ANY cables to connect your Storm to your computer? That seems odd to me. I like bluetooth but I would always do my first sync via a wired connection for 2 reasons: one - it's more reliable and B - it's faster. You should have a good deal of info syncing so I would think the speed would make the initial sync less of a headache.

I would be amazed if you can't sync the Storm via BT. So after the initial sync it should be fairly easy to use BT from there out. Again, someone with a Storm would have to confirm.

If the only issue is that you don't have a sync cable then I would either check the box again or call Verizon to see what's up. Can anyone confirm their Storm comes with a syn cable?

And finally the last, best piece of advice I can give you is this . . . don't eat the macaroni. It's just not worth it man. Just throw it away

Hope this helps!

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

done

bought a cable from vender on ebay...no such luck. Since the laptop didnt have bluetooth, bought a mini bluetooth adapter from best buy. Downloaded the update from microsoft for the active-synch. Viola! I have since then erased alot of the contacts i dont need and have also hooked back up the cardscan 600 to scan the stacks of cards I will imput. I will then take a excell spreadsheet of a list of companies and subsequently move them into outlook. I have everything going good so far and am using the calander more than i used on the I-730. I love this storm with only the exception of the repated reboots. i have to download .103 and see what happens and resync etc. I do have a question, does anyone know how i can put all of the contacts onto the mini sd card ? Oh and one last thing...thank you all.

glad to hear you got that much done! i have every single beta file out there right now. i will try to upload the 103 file somewhere tonight and send you the link for it. 103 is the best so far to me...
    how do you want to put the contacts on the card? in the excel sheet? can be done...) or have your storm access them from there? (cant be done...)

you answered my question, I wanted to access the contacts via the card as not take up any or most flash storage in the device. I still have to find a 3rd party app for the contact manager or figure a way on dividing into certain groups. ie: plumbers, electricians, personal, etc...ty for the linkI will try to do it soon.

your categories in outlook will transfer over to the storm but if you create a new calendar event or contact you will not have the choice of adding a category until it is synced to outlook. weird... i know...

by the way, loaded the .114 hybrid OS today and it is SICK! my storm is flying and i have the new cut/paste/copy function which kicks a*%^!!!