+ Reply to Thread

Advice for a friend

Hi guys...I need some advice for a friend who is intrigued by the Storm. She has asked me for phone advice, but I am only familiar with the older BBs, WinMo and iPhone platforms.

She mainly wants a VZW phone (for a specific coverage area) that will do basic PDA functions. She has no previous smartphone experience and isn't the sort of person that is going to mod the device or add a lot of third-party apps. She also is not going to have any IT support, so she needs a device that "just works".

I guess my question basically boils down to this: Is the Storm a good option for someone that isn't inclined to spend hours on a user forum troubleshooting and chasing software bugs?
    -Duncan

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

tell her to get a BB Curve - bulletproof and super-simple to operate.

Thanks Lou...that was my first thought, also.
    -Duncan

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

That is the advice I give anyone considering a new smartphone. The Curve is a really nice, simple to use device.

is that the one with world edition? if she exer..ever.. intends on rewarding herself a trip to europe in the next two years I would get it if it is capable to be used on gsm via vodaphone. The fact that the storm does this was also a small reason why I bought it. Until that "gold code" is out for the storm i wouldnt get it. I am relatively a noob but am eager to download .103...thanks miata.

no, the curve is cdma only. the 8830 is the world edition. but dont worry, if she is not in a hurry, wait a few months as the 9630 "niagara" is coming out on vzw which the the perfect mix of the new curve and bold and will be a world edition rocking newer software platform than the current curve.

Nah, she couldn't wait. She got two curves yesterday...one for her and one for her husband using the buy one get one free. It will more than meet her needs. Thanks again for the advice.
    -Duncan

sounds good, no prob...

Hey All

I guess its a little late for the gal who was considering a Storm...I think the Curve advice was spot on (Good one Lou). BUT I wanted to let you know a new GOLD release for the Storm is eminent now. I am using crackmans .114 hybrid and its sweet. I was reluctant to use a hybrid but everyone was raving about it so I figiured what the hell! BUT the word in the leak world is a new GOLD release is days away. With this release the Storm will really be sweet. None of the old issues that were kicked about in the beginning will be issues anymore. The only thing I notice about the hybrid is it sometimes lags in opening and closing progs. But that could be becasue of all the leaks I installed since the original OS! I may have mucked it up. I am thining I am going to wipe it completely with JL Commander beofre I install the new Gold release.

I love the darn thing! I swear I slept with it the other night! (Playing with it in bed and fell asleep!)

good day all

i am on the 114 hybrid too and it is awesome! i was just at a vzw store today helping my friends get their BOGO storms and i was showing the reps how mine runs and they were in shock especially when i fired up the new ed/cut/copy/paste feature! they thought it was 3rd party software! i am waiting for the "gold code" too. i ended up doing a wipe after i installed it becuase i wanted to uninstall some 3rd party stuff i wasnt using. totally flying now.