+ Reply to Thread

skype on the storm?

BB newbie here, switched from my i760 to the storm yesterday.

Traveling to Italy for a month and wondering about a less expensive way to call back to the USA at something less than the .99 a min that verizon wireless roaming is going to cost.

Does anyone know if there is skype or other voip type app that can be used in the storms browser?

Also thinking of getting pdanet and connecting with skype via the laptop. Ha anyone here tried it.

Just looking for the best way to somehow VOIP over this thing.

skype not ready for the storm yet... and i dont think anyone has a VOIP solution for the Storm yet..

now, 1st thing to do if not planning on getting your Storm SIM unlocked by VZW is to call VZW Global Support and turn on the $65/month international roaming data plan otherwise you will get crushed on data charges! Then you can call them back when you get home and turn it off and go back to your normal plan. Your acct will get pro-rated for the different data plans if you do this outside of your normal billing schedule.
    PDANet doesnt work on BB's but you can get Tetherberry TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere to do the same job. That, along with your intl data will keep your data costs reasonable.

if you get your Storm unlocked by VZW then you can find any number of companies that will sell you pre-paid SIM cards but they all may not have data included - you would have to do more research on that front.

hopefully that helped a little!

Ummm you do know that skype works through the internet right? Well, if roaming calls are expensive, how much do you think the data will be? Just a thought.
    i760>BB Storm

Quote Originally Posted by batboy View Post
    Ummm you do know that skype works through the internet right? Well, if roaming calls are expensive, how much do you think the data will be? Just a thought.
    if you have the $65/mo international roaming data plan, it is unlimited - well as unlimited as the regular data plan.