+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introduction

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Lightbulb Introduction

OK, so why are we adding a forum on Digital Photography? Good question. I am a photographer and spend a lot of time on the subject. I've been debating trying to start a new forum on a specific area of photography, similar to PPH is for phones. But, I am pretty busy and haven't had the time so I thought I'd do it here. I know there are other photogs here, so we'll see if we can get some dialog going. Anything is fair game.. even film, video...anything will be OK since we are just getting going.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Photography is a hobby of mine... although I certainly don't possess a lot of "technical" knowledge But judge the results for yourself by taking a look at my pictures

Great idea for a new forum Mike. And I'm glad to see that you finally made the move to the latest version of vB!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Nice shots there Robert... you definitely have an eye for composition and color. It is proof that you need to spend a fortune to get great shots.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Thanks Mike! Do you have a site where you post some of your favorite pictures you take?

collins-home.com and my photography company site, but there you need to know the county in which the event was shot to see the pictures.

This is one that you might like...
    Mike - Been Converged?

Wow Mike... very impressive!

I haven't done a lot of this type of shooting... 90% of my shots are of sports. I was trying out a new lens and there isn't any outdoor sports going on up here. I took this shot with a Canon 1D Mark II camera with a Canon 400 f/2.8 Mark II lens. Thats a camera/lens that weighs over 20 pounds.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Over 20 pounds?? Wow. Those are my favorite kinds of pictures... random nature shots, etc.

Hello my name is Ross and I am a photo-a-holic....LOL
    TRJ Photography
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon User:1DMII/20D/10D(IR)/1nRS/Pro-1/Some L Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnoi1
    There is no help for you. I recommend sending all our money to B&H Photo and they will help you develop a therapy program to ease the pain.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Thats already been done... I am effectively broke for the next 4 years... or until I make a bonus or win the lottery...LOL
    TRJ Photography

Well, there is always the bank, credit cards, loans, mortgages, pawn shops, etc.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mike the only thing I have left to pawn is you... and I kinda like keeping you around...LOL
    TRJ Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnoi1

:stands up: Hello Ross.....My name is Ron and I to feel your pain....maybe not as much as yours but wants to get there :sits back down:

LOL Ron you following me? Nice to see you over here...
    TRJ Photography

Hey anywhere there is a photo section i'll be there to check it out Thanks for the link.....theres a ton of other great info here too.

When I was in high school (some 20+ years ago), I got into photography. Somewhere in my closet, I still have the 35mm I used to take time-lapse shots of the stars at night from my rooftop in Phoenix (back then, the city was much darker at night than it is now). Of course, I have pulled that camera out in at least 10-15 years, and don't even remember what make or model it is (I think Olympus, but maybe Nikon).

I had been unhappy with the Nikon 990 I bought nearly 7 years ago when my oldest son was born and was also unhappy with the point and shoots I bought within the last couple of years (Pentax Option S10 or S6--can't remember--and Canon SD630) and had been wanting to pick up a digital SLR. Fortunately, I had a good year last year and was able to afford one. MRailing recommended that I get the Canon 40D. Although I initially didn't want to spend that much, I followed his recommendation. I can't tell you how happy I am that I didn't "cheap out." I bought the 40D in December (around Christmas-time). Since then, I've taken nearly 4,000 shots using three different lenses--a 28-135, a 70-300, and a 10-22. In the past few days, I bought a 100mm macro, a speedlight, a 50 mm f/1.8 ("nifty fifty"), and a 17-85 f/2.8. I just received the 100mm and speedlight yesterday (haven't had a chance to try them yet), and expect to receive the other lenses tomorrow, right before I leave on vacation. Yes, I am hooked!

Attached are a couple of photos I took on my birthday a week and a half a go (the photos have been resized to make the fiel size smaller). One is a fallen saguaro cactus. The bee one is the one that made me decide I needed a macro lens.

Needless to say, I look forward to participating in this forum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introduction-img_3415-large-.jpg   Introduction-img_3497-large-.jpg  
    Last edited by iProb8; 05-20-2008 at 10:41 AM.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)