+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Question What do you shoot with?

Lets break the ice and talk about gear for a minute... after all, if you are hear, then you are into the gear I would assume. Post a reply and tell us what you shoot with.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I use a Canon SD110. Chose it v.s. anything with a CF card so that I can slide the card into my i700 and FTP or email pics (how's that for making it on-topic with the rest of the board).

Alan

Thats a good feature, but I worry about losing the little cards.. the CF card is a little more solid. I'll wait a bit to post what I use as my primary cameras... but the only point and shoot I have is a Nikon Coolpix 4300. I've had it for years, and I bought it because it had a very good macro feature for pictures of PDAPhones and accessories.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I don't think I quite fall into the category of you guys with all the "gear". I use the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 7.2MP. It's an ultra-compact, but I am more into "spontaneous" photography... so being able to have my camera with me 24/7 is very important. I just recently revamped my photography site... my URL should be in my signature still
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

We shoot with an old Canon EOS Rebel for film, and with a Fuji Finepix S5000. The Fuji doesn't really shoot that well. For indoors use, you have to really speed up the shutter to capture action without blurring, but then the lighting really suffers. I am envying the digital Rebel, but we don't take enough to justify a $1000 purchase right now.
    Jeremiah 29:11

For 'on the fly' shots I use a Fuji Finepix F700 Zoom with a 512Mb xD card but if I'm at a planned shoot I use either a Fuji S1 Pro or a Nikon D100, both using 1Gb Microdrive and a choice of lenses. The Nikon is great for close flash photography as I very rarely experience red-eye, unlike the Fuji which only prevents red-eye 8 times out of 10.

The D100 is a nice camera. Have you had a chance to checkout the new D200?
    Mike - Been Converged?

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    I just got a Panasonic Lumix ZF5. IT has 12X zoom, <1 sec shuttle speed and long battery life. I like it so far, but I am considering the move up to DSLR.

Mark

I've really only seriously used DSLRs. I had one P&S - Nikon Coolpix 4300, but I rarely use it. I can definitely help you on your quest to a DSLR. I owned and shot with several Nikons, and I now have 3 different types of Canon DSLRs.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Started out with Canon AE-1, then used a p & s; then plunged with digital rebel; now use 20D, and multiple lenses---lucky enough to get some pro--L-series lenses. Favorites are 135mm f2.0L, and 85mm f1.8 (non-L).

The 135L is a mighty sweet lens indeed. I use that for volleyball now and it seems to be just the right focal length for that. I'll try to post some volleyball pictures when I get a chance.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mike

I use the Canon 20d, and have had the 10d, D60 and D30. I have a handful of lens, nothing great, but only use it as a hobby and am completely self taught. I only got in to photography like 10 years ago, so it's be slow going and haven't had the real money to put in to it.

Not to take much away from here, but I just wanted to make sure you knew about: http://www.dpreview.com.

Just making sure you knew about the site, and I am sure you have been there, but's it got some great information and reviews incase you didn't know about it.

I am very familiar with dpreview, and have chronicled a lot of my journey to where I'm at now on there. I also participate regularly at Fred Miranda, Rob Galbriath, and Photography-on-the.net . They are all great sites, but I thought I'd see if we could get some dialog going with our members here...

I have 2 20Ds and they are a great bargain of a camera right now. I am anxiously awaiting what it gets replaced with later this month at PMA.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Glad you have seen it, and I will be watching this forum now that I know it's here. I have subscribed to it so I can keep up...

Should be interested what they will replace the 20D with. I am also hoping for a couple of new "lower" cost L lens to be released.

Yes, lower priced L lenses would be good, but they do seem to be a "get what you pay for" proposition. My L's include a pair of 17-40 f/4s, a pair of 24-70 f/2.8s, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, 135 f/2, 200 f/1.8, and a 400 f/2.8. Those last two carried a hefty price tag.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Thanks Mike for sending me over to the site... Mike and I both frequent a couple photo sites on the web. I recently bought a camera from him... the 1D Mark II.. awesome camera!!! My list of cameras are in my signature... I highly doubt you guys would want to be bored with my lens list...LOL
    TRJ Photography
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon User:1DMII/20D/10D(IR)/1nRS/Pro-1/Some L Glass

I've been around the PDA forums for a while and just noticed this one! NICE.

I started with the Rebel G and then went to the Digital Rebel. I almost got the 20D, but now glad I waited. Depending upon prices I'll get the 20D or 30D in the near future. Looking forward to higher fps and 2nd curtain/rear curtain sync. Love to take shots of surfing. My wife (LOVE her) just got me the Canon IS 100-300 (non-DO)...what a difference from a cheaper telephoto! Another nice piece of gear is the Tenba PB-15C. I can get all my gadgets in here for trips: laptop, i730, photo gear, iPod, etc.

Myself and my wife have been into photography for a long time but that was only with various point and shoots. We just upgraded to a Canon Rebel DSLR and slowly are getting lenses.....someday hope to get some nice L-Lenses, but for know we're just enjoying learning more about photography in general

Quote Originally Posted by SD James
    I've been around the PDA forums for a while and just noticed this one! NICE.

I started with the Rebel G and then went to the Digital Rebel. I almost got the 20D, but now glad I waited. Depending upon prices I'll get the 20D or 30D in the near future. Looking forward to higher fps and 2nd curtain/rear curtain sync. Love to take shots of surfing. My wife (LOVE her) just got me the Canon IS 100-300 (non-DO)...what a difference from a cheaper telephoto! Another nice piece of gear is the Tenba PB-15C. I can get all my gadgets in here for trips: laptop, i730, photo gear, iPod, etc.
    Post some surfing pictures... would love to see them!
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR2Blazer
    Myself and my wife have been into photography for a long time but that was only with various point and shoots. We just upgraded to a Canon Rebel DSLR and slowly are getting lenses.....someday hope to get some nice L-Lenses, but for know we're just enjoying learning more about photography in general
    Don't worry too much about the L lenses... they are nice, but I know that I've seen people take some amazing photos without them.
    Mike - Been Converged?