+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Switching brands - Nikon to Canon

Anyone here every went through a brand switch, from Canon to Nikon or Nikon to Fuji, etc.? I went through this about 9 months ago. After 20 years of shooting Nikon... from the FG to the D70 and D2H, I put everything on Ebay and sold it. I've not totally moved to Canon and have been pretty happy with the move. The big motivator for me was low lighth shooting. Canon performs better in those situations.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I have a HUGE investment in Nikon lenses that would make a switch to Canon very expensive. I'm still pretty satisfied with my D70's (I have 2 of them), but plan to get a D200 once some of the dust settles and they become a bit easier to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent
    Anyone here every went through a brand switch, from Canon to Nikon or Nikon to Fuji, etc.? I went through this about 9 months ago. After 20 years of shooting Nikon... from the FG to the D70 and D2H, I put everything on Ebay and sold it. I've not totally moved to Canon and have been pretty happy with the move. The big motivator for me was low lighth shooting. Canon performs better in those situations.
    Dave

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    The D200 is definitely a nice camera. It remains to be seen just how good it will do at high ISO, but the body looks to be more similar to the D2X and D2H in handling, than anything else. I think it will take away some from D2X sales. At the time I made the switch, there wan't a D200 available. The D2H was a camera I really liked, but 8MP and good high ISO were key to me.

As for lenses, I did pretty well selling my stuff on Ebay and then buying more. Some of the lenses (the older ones especially) sold for more than I bought them for. My D2H went for exactly what I paid for it. Buyers on Ebay get crazy sometimes.
    Mike - Been Converged?