+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

A little high school basketball action

This is the kind of stuff I'm usually taking pictures of.

Here are a few recent shots of some high school basketball...

Mike - Been Converged?

Very nice Mike! These definitely look professional.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Awsome sports photography Mike! Give us some stats...what lens and focal length were you using, fstop, shutter speed, with or without flash, iso, etc...
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dwdod
    Awsome sports photography Mike! Give us some stats...what lens and focal length were you using, fstop, shutter speed, with or without flash, iso, etc...
    Thanks. These were both shot with a Canon 1D Mark 2 and a 200mm f/1.8 lens. I shoot in this gym on manual, manual white balance, f/2, 1/400 or 1/500, and ISO1600. These are right out of the camera, shot JPEG. I usually shoot with 2 bodies... one with an 85mm f/1.8, and the other with the big guy on it. It is a great combo that lets me cover the whole gym from half way between the paint and the corner on the baseline. About the only thing I can't cover is the radius of about 8 feet directly in front of me. All of the gyms that I shoot in around here are too dark for an f/2.8 lens unless you want to bump up to ISO3200 and lower the shutter speed, and then you get a lot of motion blur. I have started playing with strobes, but they are a lot of work to setup and get aligned.
    Mike - Been Converged?

wow! That is remarkable image resolution for iso-1600. If I were to attempt similar action shots indoors at iso 1600 with my Nikon D70, I'd get VERY grainy results.

btw...I like the look of the new website, but I'm no longer getting email notifications when people respond to my posts. I guess I need to check my profile.
    Dave

There is a profile setting for instant notification.. so that is probably the problem.

Yep, one of the primary motivating factors in my move to Canon was the high ISO performance (out of the camera) because I shoot a lot of low light sports and can't use flash. Canon is actually quite usable, even at ISO3200. You can get similar results with Noise Ninja or Neat Image, but I take so many pictures that I decided I didn't want to add those things to my workflow.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I've only shot church league hoops to date, and still learning--but interestingly I found the best lens to be my 24-70mm wide anlge zoom, f2.8L. I say interestingly because I find it's not sharp at the extremes -- 70mm and toward the f2.8 side; duh. But if used in the right way, i.e. pushed to 1600 or 3200 I can get a stop or two, and being church league, usually a slightly slower shutter speed, thereby giving me a little more sharpness.

Kewl shots.

That 85mm you mentioned from the corner with an XT should do great with basketball. I shoot with that lens a lot for basketball.
    Mike - Been Converged?