+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Took a couple pics today 02/22/2006

I actually just wanted a picture of a barge... it ended up being like 100 miles of total driving and got some great varied pictures... here is a taste from today...

Amtrak:

The barge I had been trying to get:

Here is the prefered setup for shooting aviation:

Airplane from today:

Here is a pic of the aviation photographer guru...at work AT the airport... he just happened to drive by with the fueler when I was there...LOL
    TRJ Photography
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon User:1DMII/20D/10D(IR)/1nRS/Pro-1/Some L Glass

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I love trains, and I love your dedication to photography. I don't know anyone else that would go to so much trouble to get a picture of a barge...
    Mike - Been Converged?

Well if I was on dayshift I wouldnt be spending all this time shooting... only sometimes at lunch...
    TRJ Photography

Come visit me if you want a picture of a barge. I live 30 mins from Louisville, KY, which is on the Ohio River, and the Locks are right there as well. 100's of barges each day go up and down the river....

When my schedule clears up I will post some photos of a train wreck that I took when I was in Montana this year.

That train shot made my day...thanks. I also really like the barge, is that the Hudson?

Yep, that is the Hudson. Amtrak actually runs right along the river much of the trip from Albany to New York City. I would love to find a place to take pictures of the train with the river.

There are plenty, but you'd have to go into the hudson valley, south of the capital district. Convergent, where are you located and how far would you go?

I'm in Albany. I would go pretty far to get some good pictures if it was a day I had the time. And Ross... he is a machine for a picture. So, I'm sure he'd be up for a drive to a good spot.

I love trains. I used to have a big model train setup when I was younger, but it gave way to things like ping pong tables and home theaters. I take the train whenever I go to NYC or Phili. We've taken the AutoTrain from DC to Orlando twice.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Sorry I missed all the responses... I havent gotten any more emails saying there were here.. =) Never have to twist my arm for a shot... =) those shots of the barge and train were just on a whim... started driving and ended up there...LOL
    TRJ Photography

Convergent,

I routinely take metro north, terminating in Poughkeepsie, but just two stations south of Albany is Rhinecliff, which is right on the river, and would be a great shot of the train and the river. Also Hudson has a small rail yard near the river which probably would be decent (haven't been there in a while).

Farther south though you can get some good shots (probably with a zoom) of the train coming around the bend in the river near the Peekskill station. If i remember correctly Garrison has some good spots near it and just south of Beacon is good. All those stations are serviced by metro north. I havent personally gone out there yet, but every time I pass those places on the train I remember how bad I want to get out there. Maybe when i have some time (or a decent camera!).

The auto train seems like a really fun trip...how long does it take to get there? I've gone out to Colorado twice on Amtrak and I have to say there is nothing better than that. That took 3 days and two nights and was the most fun I ever had. Nothing like going to sleep in Chicago and waking up to the sun rising over the great plains...

I'll have to get a map or something and check those spots out. Do you guys know if there is any way to find out what the schedule for trains is on a given day? I know you can for Amtrak, but I was thinking maybe there was a place that showed ALL the trains.

The Autotrain is fun. It leaves at 4pm from DC and gets to Orlando at 9am... so it doesn't really take a lot of time more than flying.... you save two nights in the hotel, and you get your car with all your junk in it ready to go when you get there. For a family of 6, its pretty economical.
    Mike - Been Converged?

http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/sc.../schedules.htm thats the full schedule for metro north. Just download the hudson line schedule. If you're thinking of walking along the tracks be careful, the trains are frequent at times. i think during the middle of the days and on weekends though they are only hourly for metro north, but there is also amtrak and even freight.

Ive never been that far south on the train...how's the scenery?

The scenery in general from Albany to NYC is amazing... you are right on the water most of the way. Once you get close to the city though, you go inland and then underground. I think you are around the GW Bridge when that happens.

As for a schedule, I was hoping to find something that would show everything... metro, amtrak, freight... basically a schedule of what is on the track. However, if the metro runs frequent then it would probably be fine anyways. I was concerned that we'd set there for a few hours and see nothing.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Something you should do for a vacation is head to Montana and Glacier National Park. The southern boarder of the Park is lined by the main railway betwen the east and the west, and there is a train easily every 20 mins passing by. These trains are normally well over 100 cars in length (longest I counted was 191 cars when I have been out in the past, with 6 engines). Amtrack runs every couple of hours as well, so you can see it all, and with beautiful mountains in the background. Plus the occasional bear, moose, elk, deer, eagle, hawk, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent
    The scenery in general from Albany to NYC is amazing... you are right on the water most of the way. Once you get close to the city though, you go inland and then underground. I think you are around the GW Bridge when that happens.

As for a schedule, I was hoping to find something that would show everything... metro, amtrak, freight... basically a schedule of what is on the track. However, if the metro runs frequent then it would probably be fine anyways. I was concerned that we'd set there for a few hours and see nothing.

Sorry, I meant down south as in the Autotrain. I'm a frequent traveler on Metro North so I know how great the views are...I can take that trip a million times and still be fixated on the scenery. Although my Treo does distract me sometimes...

As far as schedules, I dont know where you would find the schedule for freight, maybe CSX has is? They are pretty rare on that side, usually 3 times a day. If you like freight, CSX runs trains on the other side of the river and that line gets right up to the riverbank sometimes too. Those run every half hour or so, with real long trains.

Ah... the AutoTrain route is interesting too... goes through Quantico just after you depart, and through a lot of rural VA. Shortly after you leave though, it gets dark. Remember, you leave at 4pm and get there at 9am, so a lot of night rail. The one thing that's cool is it goes right through the middle of the town that I grew up in down in southern VA... so that's kind of neat to show my kids.

The AutoTrain is the longest passenger train in the world - 40+ cars. It is now all new superliner cars, unlike the first time I took it. You get dinner and breakfast, and a movie. They don't have the dome car any longer, because you can't really dome a superliner. We've always done it coach... but you can get sleepers if you want. How full it is is will vary greatly because a lot of people take it one way... retired people going down and back at different times of year. The last time we went was over school break and it was pretty full... but certainly tolerable.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I think I'm too young for the dome cars...I've only seen pictures. But I know the Superliner view cars, or whatever they are called with the angled seats and curved windows. I had no idea that train was that long, thats really incredible for a passenger train.

How are the seats for sleeping? Its been a while since I've experienced Amtrak coach seats. I was thinking of taking Amtrak to California and saving money by going coach to Chicago. Just want to get some ideas on how well I'll sleep...if I'll sleep,

This picture will give you a good look at the Superliner cars, both on the top and the bottom.

Sleeping in coach is a challenge, of course. It depends on who is near you, whether you have a double seat to yourself, etc. I honestly didn't sleep that well, but I don't sleep that well a lot of the time at home either. The seats are very big and fold out very flat. And you have a ton of foot room. The last time, we were able to go downstairs as there is a 1/3 of a car of seats down there that are separate. There was no one in there but my family and we each got our own seat. On the way back, the train was pretty full, so we had to sit up top... where the views are much better for riding. I wasn't overly tired the next day. For what its worth, I practically can't sleep at all in a hotel... so this was no worse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took a couple pics today 02/22/2006-florida.jpg  
    Mike - Been Converged?

I know all about the superliner cars...I've traveled on Amtrak to Denver from New York and back twice now, with a first class bedroom suite one time and the regular superliner room the next. That is the way to travel! Unfortunately you really have to save up for a trip like that. You know, cant buy all those pda phones all year long!

Its a little hard with a larger family though, because its expensive and usually they make you go in the family room, and while its a big room, there isnt much of a view.

Good to hear those seats fold down...I think I could handle a night or two in a seat like that. Like I said above, I'm used to the commuter trains, and while the attempted cusion is a step above the subway, its not made for sleeping...

What kinda camera were those pics taken wid? I know it wasn't a 1.3mp. all my pics be it vga or 1.3 still end up looking fuzzy