+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Canon comments on 30D maket placement

There has been a lot of hoopla on some photography sites about how people expected more pixels and some other features to be added to the 30D, rather than a refinement of the 20D at a lower price tag. Imaging Resources interviewed Chuck Westfall, Canon USA's Director of Media and Customer Relationship, to ask him a few questions on the subject.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1140633307.html
    Mike - Been Converged?

I got a call from a friend of mine who shoots photos for the IRL (Indy Racing League), and he just got a "loaner" 30D from Canon to use. (normally the loaner stuff he doesn't have to return, he just keeps using...).

He said it's so close to the 20D in performance that it really isn't worth me upgrading (that was my question to him, should I upgrade). He said the body was different, and a better feel, and that the feature of the JPEG matching (as mentioned in this article) is nice when shooting with all the cameras he uses. He said it still makes for a good backup camera.

So I guess my 20D stays for another year...

Interesting. I haven't seen one yet in person, but it sounds like its a similar increment to that between the 1DM2 and 1DM2N. I just made that switch, and there are a couple of features on it that really are useful to me. In particular, the instant zoom around focus point... which is a great feature for high volume portrait work. The 30D has this, along with Picture Styles. I've not started playing with PS yet, but I do know that it was a challenge to get similar looking pictures from the 1DM2 and 20D when used along side each other. According to this interview, PS will help with that. I have 2 1DM2Ns, 1 1DM2, and 2 20Ds. I need to get rid of one body, and I'm thinking that will be a 20D for now.
    Mike - Been Converged?

How much you want for the 20D body?

I haven't come up with a price yet. I have two, and neither probably has more than 10K clicks on it. Both have Brightscreen 8x10 & Portrait crop masks on the focus screen.... which is a $240 upgrade. I need to take a look at what the prices have done since the 30D was announced... I'd guess they came down a little.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Hey, by the way... did you go to RIT? I am an alumni of RIT myself.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Nope, went to Indiana University, that logo is my busniess logo, stands for Railing IT Consulting. Just wanted a nice looking logo, non-phone related, and something that stood out so other users could easily identify myself. My logo worked, so I used it...

I don't want the camera for myself, but I might know someone who would buy it, I was just asking and then I was going to call them and check, so if you figure out a price, let me know and I will pass it along to them. Knowing the person I am thinking of, they will probably upgrade their 10D to the 30D. We have been on opposite cycles on upgrading.

Well, it looks a lot better than the RIT school logo... good work.
    Mike - Been Converged?