+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

A little high school basketball sectional action

Someone asked me to post these for an example of a Canon 200L f/1.8 in action, so I figured I'd post them here too. These are all with a 1DM2N, 200L f/1.8 w/TC1.4, f/2.5, 1/500, ISO1600. This is all far end court action, shot from the opposite end baseline. You can get a feel for how touchy the depth of field is, even at f/2.5. The game was double overtime, and I shot it handheld... this setup for the far end, swapping with another 1DM2N and 85 1.8 on the near end. If I get a chance I'll post a few pictures from the close end as its a totally different look. This is the defensive look, the other is the offensive look.

The background is what you pay for.

Drawing a foul... in action.

I can hold my breath longer than you.

Ahh!!!

That's mine.

I can fly!

Can't forget the cheerleaders.

Not a great picture... wish I was on the other end of the court, but this is a FOUL, baby!

Mike - Been Converged?

the 200/1.8 has got to be the most smokin lens that Canon has ever put out for sports...especially inside sports... its a shame that they didnt follow Nikon and come out with an *IS* version also and continue making them....
    TRJ Photography
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon User:1DMII/20D/10D(IR)/1nRS/Pro-1/Some L Glass

Very nice!
    Motorola Q, WM5 -- Verizon Wireless, U.S.A.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnoi1
    the 200/1.8 has got to be the most smokin lens that Canon has ever put out for sports...especially inside sports... its a shame that they didnt follow Nikon and come out with an *IS* version also and continue making them....
    Yep, but we both know that Nikon doesn't make a camera that can make pictures like this, out of the camera at 1600 ISO. So their 200mm f/2 isn't going to do this. I was nearly a stop underexposed and that generally will heavily exagerate any noise. These images are pretty clean I think, given the conditions... ISO 1600, -1 stop, and JPEG.

I do hope that Canon produces a new 200mm one day. Who knows, maybe they are waiting to do a 300mm f/2. That would be the bomb! Probably would be the size of Rhode Island though.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I think I would have to break down and buy a 300/2 if they came out with one... but you are right... you would need a Wimberly tripod head just to have it on a tripod...LOL
    TRJ Photography
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon User:1DMII/20D/10D(IR)/1nRS/Pro-1/Some L Glass