+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Seagulls anyone?

Not the most exciting birds... but I went to the park today and shot what was there... which was seagulls.... I need to get to the local preserve and find something more interesting.

These are with the 1DM2N, 400L f/2.8 II, TC1.4 II, shot on manual. I don't shoot a lot of birds. This is probably only my second time just going out and shooting them for the heck of it. The big challenge on these was keeping detail in the whites, in the direct sun. The water was one huge reflecting point and I don't have an IR filter. I shot some on aperature priority and it was blowing the seagulls right out of the water... literally. So, I went to manual (which is where I always end up), and things got better.

Mike - Been Converged?

Actually, ring-billed gulls I believe. There is no species of gull called "sea"

Nice pics.

Alan

Thanks for correcting me on my mistake. I'm sure the real bird watchers wouldn't have been so gentle. I am gaining a respect for those that take pictures of these things. They are quite difficult to track and keep in focus. The one positive is they are relatively used to humans, so I was able to creep up on them and get in pretty close.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Nice and sharp, what settings did you use for these?...especially the first couple of shots.

I was shooting on Manual - 1/2500, f/5.6, ISO200, 560mm (400mm 2.8 + TC1.4), AI-Servo, Single Shot, WB-Cloudy, Focus on * button on the back (CF04-3), and JPEG Fine. I hit them with an auto levels which straightened out the color pretty well, and then cropped and applied USM mildly - 100-0.4-0.
    Mike - Been Converged?

One more thing... the second picture had a harsh shadow under the bird, so I used a correction layer and mask to brighten up the underside of the belly, without messing with the rest of the image.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Here's one more...

Mike - Been Converged?