+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Uprezzing- Getting a print to 3' x 5' in size

I am doing some work this weekend that the client wants to have blown up to 3' x 5'. I did some testing today with a 1DMk2N and 135mm f/2 lens. I shot natural light at 1/125, ISO200, f/2. The image came out pretty well, and I then brought it into Photoshop CS2 and proceeded to "uprez" it. I started at 2336 x 3504 pixels, and bumped it up until the width was around 11K. That is about a 500% increase (if my math is right). I then cropped a chunk of it out as a full crop, and printed it out as an 11x17. I was kind of amazed at how well it came out, and I think it will server the purpose of what it is intended for very well.

Anyone on here ever do anything like this? The technique I used was to increment the image size by 10% at a time. I've read mixed reviews on whether its better to do this, or crank it up all at once. Given that the final image file was over 500MB, I didn't want to create too many test cases. I was wondering if I needed to go to a full frame body for this gig, but honestly its such an increase over the original file size, that I doubt it would make a huge difference.

There is a program called Genuine Fractals that will do this, but I am not sure if it is worth the moola... does it have that big of an effect?

Anyone do any uprezzing on here?
    Mike - Been Converged?

I have always wondered about that... till I bought the medium format... now I KNOW I will at some point in time get something done in poster size... you are more then welcome to take it along if you want and just take a couple print shots with it... it may end up being a little easier... and Photo Images does 3x5 for $46...just an idea...
    TRJ Photography
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon User:1DMII/20D/10D(IR)/1nRS/Pro-1/Some L Glass

I'm going to call them. Do you have a lens that would work in the "135mm on a 1.3 crop" range? I was testing at f/2 also... not sure what you have.

I am pretty happy with my test and the 1DM2. The detail it held is very good.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Here is a nother program that helps with this - PhotoZoom Pro
    Mike - Been Converged?

And yet another SAR Image Processor. Cool thing here is they have an interactive page that compares 2 dozen uprezzing methods.
    Mike - Been Converged?

A supposed impartial test of Genuine Fractals compared to some other things - http://www.inkjetart.com/news/gf/
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent
    I'm going to call them. Do you have a lens that would work in the "135mm on a 1.3 crop" range? I was testing at f/2 also... not sure what you have.

I am pretty happy with my test and the 1DM2. The detail it held is very good.
    actually no... my range of lenses for now is a 55-110/4.5, 55/2.8 and 80/2.8...but with those you basically have a -30mm adjustment to 35mm so effectively I have a 25-80/4.5, 25/2.8 and, and 50/2.8

Let me know if it is something you want to try out...
    TRJ Photography
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon User:1DMII/20D/10D(IR)/1nRS/Pro-1/Some L Glass

I am sure you all have heard of the gigapxl project:

http://www.gigapxl.org/

They wanted HUGE pictures in EXTREME detail.

Check it out. Basically they take hundreds of pictures on a special stand and then photomerge them. Something you could do in photoshop on a small basis with multiple images and then merge them for a higher pixel count.

So consider trying to shoot some overlapping prints, making the lighting identical between them, and then photomerging them together to form one print our of 4 or more photos and make you 12 MP photo that much bigger...

Just a thought about something to try...

I did a little side by side enlargement testing a year or two ago using PS and genuine fractals. Also did a side by side comparison of using the PS +10% method VS just going strait for your target resolution. Tested 3 images, blew them up somewhere 500% or higher, dont remember the exact res now. results of my highly unscientific test as i remember them had Genuine Fractals winning by a landslide, and that I could only detect minimal difference in quality between the 2 photoshop methods in the images i was using. I'd recomend giving GF a try if you can find someone in your area to demo it on.... it was significantly better in the tests i ran.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrrr
    I did a little side by side enlargement testing a year or two ago using PS and genuine fractals. Also did a side by side comparison of using the PS +10% method VS just going strait for your target resolution. Tested 3 images, blew them up somewhere 500% or higher, dont remember the exact res now. results of my highly unscientific test as i remember them had Genuine Fractals winning by a landslide, and that I could only detect minimal difference in quality between the 2 photoshop methods in the images i was using. I'd recomend giving GF a try if you can find someone in your area to demo it on.... it was significantly better in the tests i ran.
    I think that GF's demo will do some number of conversions... so I may give that a try. The pictures are taken now and I hope to play with it a little tomorrow. This was less than a perfect image to start, given that it was in a Church setting with tough lighting. I took about a dozen shots of the particular moment, shooting in RAW, and will start working on it. Thanks for the tips.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing
    I am sure you all have heard of the gigapxl project:

http://www.gigapxl.org/

They wanted HUGE pictures in EXTREME detail.

Check it out. Basically they take hundreds of pictures on a special stand and then photomerge them. Something you could do in photoshop on a small basis with multiple images and then merge them for a higher pixel count.

So consider trying to shoot some overlapping prints, making the lighting identical between them, and then photomerging them together to form one print our of 4 or more photos and make you 12 MP photo that much bigger...

Just a thought about something to try...
    I thought about it, but this but the subject was a group of people, so no way to do that. It would probably work pretty well on landscape shots or other inanimate objects... but a group of people is going to be moving around.
    Mike - Been Converged?