+ Reply to Thread

shutter noise - 1d Mark II / 5d / 20d

looking to upgrade the camera soon, agonizing over which one to go with. the two in the running are the 1d mark II (original - used off ebay) and the 5d.

I do sports AND weddings, but weddings are the bread and butter. shutter noise in my 20d is horrible during a wedding ceremony or other such quiet events.

the question I have for anyone who owns a 1d mark2 AND either the 5d or the 20d is how is the shutter noise in comparison? i'm leaning towards the 1d mark 2 for overall versatility and build quality, but shutter noise could play a big factor in my decision.
    -Francis
    Samsung i770 Saga | Verizon Wireless | U.S.A.
    Abandoning in favor of a Droid....

You totally need the 1D Mark II.

I've never heard one. How bad could it be? Just clear your throat when you click the shutter. That should be all you need.

Ok, I'll get out of the way so someone serious can reply.

OK... first off you really have to decide which of your kinds of shooting you will honestly be doing more and why... and then on to your answer:

10D=Quiet Shutter... almost sounds buttery...
    Rebel=About the same as the 10D
    RebelXT=Midrange...not too loud
    1DM1=Midrange... has crisp sound but not super loud...
    20D=Loud... loudest of all cameras I have owned....
    1DM2=Midrange but smooth

I havent shot the 5D yet... but its in my sights as a camera I may want to get...

of course for weddings you will love the high res of the 5D...but my personal opinion is that the 1DM2 (or "n") is a better purchase for the same cash... the 1DM2 will typically last you MUCH longer for shutter actuations, it has a much faster AF engine, and it typically is better for sports... these are all my opinions... I also look at that how many times will you blow up an image to where the difference in MP makes that much of a difference...

Now with that said and done... everyone always promotes what they personally use... and I am no exception I guess... but I have used a variety of the canon cameras and have kept most of them... I would say comparing the 20D to the 1DM2 for noise its hands down that the 1DM2 is MUCH quieter...

I would say that if you are in an area that you can rent both for a day it would be a great thing to do... or find someone in the area that is willing to let you pop off a couple shots with both... they are both 100% opposite kinds of cameras... so it will really boil down to a lot of personal opinions on them...
    TRJ Photography
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon User:1DMII/20D/10D(IR)/1nRS/Pro-1/Some L Glass

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I haven't shot with a 5D, but I have 20D, 1DM2, and 1DM2Ns. I would say the 20D is louder than the 1DM2 and 1DM2Ns, but I also wouldn't say the 1 series shutter is quiet. It is noticably less, but still not quiet. I would guess that the 5D is about the same, as I haven't heard or read to much about it being an issue one way or the other. The 20D has long been known to have a loud shutter. By the way, it isn't the "shutter" that is making the noise, it is the mirror slapping.

As for the 5D vs. the 1DM2. You have chosen two extremely different genres of photography to use the same camera for. Obviously either will do the other to some degree, but is not the best at it. The 1DM2 is going to be faster and much more ruggedly built. The 5D is going to have an edge at high ISO shooting, and is a lot lighter (think about a day of wedding shooting... do you want the extra weight of the 1 series build?). I know that there are people shooting the 5D for sports and happy, but it isn't the camera of choice. I would say the same goes for the reverse. Prior to the 5D, a lot of shooters did use the 1Ds and 1DsM2 for weddings. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either one.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Rock Law

5d

I have the 5D and have had the Rebel, 10D and 20D. Of course the 5D wins hands down over these others. However if you want to shoot sports and need a huge buffer and 8-10 fps then the 3D is not for you. For everything else I like the 5D. Full frame, newest technology, comparatively light weight. You don't have to worry about blowing up prints either unless you are printing wallpaper. I have printed 4'x6' with crystal clear resolution.

Brad

Rock Law
    And don't forget about the warranty with a new 5D.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I'm thinking of adding a 5D to my arsenal as well.
    Mike - Been Converged?