+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Lens

New Lens

Well I finally decided it was time to purchase a new lens. I went by a local shop and they just happened to have the one I wanted, and were willing to match the online prices I could get.

I bought the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM. I also picked up the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. Man is it an amazing lens. I have yet to get out and really shoot with it, but it sure does take wonderful photos, inside and out. This weekend I am heading to the Kentucky Motorspeedway for the IRL Race, so I should have some great photos, both pitside and from afar. I am a guest of my client (one of the race teams) so I will have the necessary creditials to be right up next to the cars.

Now I wish I had a second body to have a closeup lens and my new one. Guess when they release the next version of the 30D, it will be time to upgrade my 20D. Then I will have two bodies.

I will post some photos when I get back from this weekend, and hopefully the weather will be nice, and I can get some more great shots like in the past.

This forum has been a little low on activity, so hopefully we can get it spiced up some.

So now I am finally increasing my collection quite a bit...

Sweet lens, good price ?

Keep the 20D and use the 20D and the 30D, or sell me the 20D cheap !
    Last edited by dlbrummels; 08-09-2006 at 01:45 PM.

Still expensive, around $1600, but it's worth it. Best lens I have used. I don't want to pick up one of those $6000 lens, as I know I will want one of those too.

I currently only have the 20D, and I have been upgrading every other model, so when the next model is released, depending on the upgrades to it, I will probably pick it up and still keep the 20D as the second camera body so I can shoot 2 lens. Heck, maybe I will want to spend enough money to get one of those full frame bodies, or maybe not...

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Congratulations on the purchase. Is this your first L lens? They are addicting, and I agree with you that you shouldn't pick up one of the superteles unless you want to own one... they are incredible. I think you'll find the 70-200 works great with the TC1.4, and gives up some sharpness and AF speed with the TC2. My understanding is the TC2 was really developed for the big whites, but will work with some degradation on the smaller teles. And, if you are really wanting some reach, you can stack them... however, you'll need to shoot manual because one of them won't get reported to the camera. I took these shots last night of the moon with stacked TCs on a 400 f/2.8

And here are a few shots at near dusk last night of our family's go-kart outing.

Mike - Been Converged?

WOW! That's all I can say for this lens. I played with it with the 1.4x tele adapter and the 2x, all are fast. The 1.4x is MUCH more responsive, and the lens by itself it downright amazing.

I really need two camera bodies now, one with a short lens and one with this lens, and I also need to pickup another L lens for the short side.

Here are some photos.... They look much better larger. These haven't been touched up, just quickly resized. The one on the track, Vitor is going 215 MPH. I took around 500 photos over the weekend, so quite a few more than I want to post. These were three good photos from the last batch I transferred to my computer, the rest are on the laptop, and I haven't yet moved them over.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Lens-kentucky-1-medium-.jpg   New Lens-kentucky-2-medium-.jpg   New Lens-kentucky-medium-.jpg  
    Last edited by mrailing; 08-15-2006 at 06:41 PM.