+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy PLEASE HELP! Ipaq 6515 shuts down while using phone or GPS...

Hello friends,

Could anyone help me figure out while my phone shuts down while talking on the phone or using the GPS? The screen starts flickering and then just fades away and soft resets itself when I tried to turn it on. It looks like if something shorts out. If I plug it into the charger it will stay on and work ok, if not it takes a couple of hours to come back on and work ok on battery. FYI, the battery and back covers are brand new OEM, I got them after the problem started but the change doesn't seem to make any difference. Thanks so much in advance!

It sounds like the battery is bad. Just because it's a new one, doesn't mean it is a good one.

Unhappy phone shuts down also...Help!!

I have the same phone with the same exact problem! After you get it back up (about 30 mins later after shutting down) it will runfine on the battery the rest of the day. sounds like a software glitch to me...any ideas?:

Might be. The only problem I had with my Ipaq was TomTom would freeze exactly one hour after I started it. I couldn't figure out what was going on so I did a factory restore and installed everything from scratch. It's working fine now.

MKF

Ipaq goes dead

Hi,

My iPAQ 6915 has developed the same problem of shutting down when using the phone, GPRS, TomTom and like you works well when on AC power. I was thinking of changing my battery but as you are using a new battery there seem little point.

The first I noticed there was a problem was the power running down on the battery after a few hours, even when I had not been using the device. Phoned HP who suggested a hard reset but haven't tried that yet because of the time it takes.

Now the iPAQ shuts down, even if there is a high reserve of battery power shown (80%+). I can usually get it running again after a little fiddling with the power on button or doing a soft reset. Occasionally I have to try the soft reset two or three times as it shuts down in the middle of resetting. However, it shuts down again very quickly if I try to run the Phone, etc on battery power.

This is all getting to be a PITA and I don't really want to buy a new model as this generally works fine.

Have you been able to find a solution?

Thanks in advance.

M

This may be a long shot but try this:

Remove the battery. Take an eraser (pencil eraser) and use it to clean all the contacts on the battery and the phone connector. An eraser is what we use in electronics to clean connections. Make sure it is a soft eraser. If you have some pure isoproponal alcohol, you can use it to clean the contacts too.

Bad connections are one of the main problems with electronics. The other is bad soldering but you can't do much about that.

MKF

Please Help

Thanks for your advice.

Unfortunately with this battery the contacts are set back from the face of the case behind individual slots so I cannot get an eraser in. If I did it would probably clog up the slots.

Do you think some methylated spirit on a cotton bud would work?

Thanks again.

M

I worked for 12 years in an electronics lab and another 11 year on aircraft electronics and Isoproponal is the only thing I've used to clean electronics. In fact, that is what you get in a can of contact cleaner. It just may have a little silicone in it to help volume controls to work smoother.

Cleaning was just an idea. I would mainly try to make sure the battery has a good connection. Maybe place a small piece of paper on the opposite side of the battery from the connector to help it push the battery a little tighter into the connection.