+ Reply to Thread

How to - Unlock Verizon Imagio SIM Card

Currently this phone is sold by Verizon only so this should go without saying this is for Verizon customers...

If you are going to be traveling abroad or simply want your Imagio to be unlocked its very easy to do and should only take about 3-5 minutes on the phone with Verizon.

Call 1(800)-711-8300 from a different phone, enter your Verizon phone number, then select option 2.

Tell them that you will be traveling abroad and plan to just buy a pre-paid SIM card when you get there, and that you simply need the unlock code for your phone. They will check your account standings, and then give you an 8 digit code.

You need to enter the code in the security section of your phone.

With TF3D...
    Start>Settings> All Settings> Personal> Security

Without TF3D Enabled...
    Start> Settings> Personal> Security

One you do this, soft reset your phone and you are all done. I can take my work phones SIM card (AT&T), put it in my Imagio, and use my Imagio for work now. I did not test the data yet because I do not have data on my AT&T plan. Although if anyone does this and wants to check it, keep in mind you will have to change the number for the data line. both Sprint and Verizon use #777. I am not sure what AT&T or TMobile use.

Thank you so much for that direct phone number. I had to call my account rep and he made some calls to get mine unlocked. He explained that I am hired by law enforcement/PIs a good deal and I have to leave the country with no notice and they gave me the unlock code but it took a few days and I tried calling VZW wireless and the person I talked to had no clue about unlocking the SIM card. He first told me that I could just put another one in and it work and I explained to him it didnt work that way.

Keep in mind that VZW may not give you the unlock code unless you have a compelling reason. They would prefer for you to use their SIM card so they can charge you whatever they want when you are roaming.

I will give you ane example. At one point, VZW offered the North America plan which I paid something like $10 - $20 more a month and got calls in Canada and Mexico for free. They got rid of this saying due to a disagreement with carriers in Mexico. At the time I had a client in Cancun and was traveling down for 2 - 3 days at a time for about 2 months. VZW told me it would be 69 cents a minute. At that time it was 69 cents a minute plus a 4 dollar per minute surrcharge which they said is was the Mexico tower usage and they had no control or no way of knowing how much it would cost. I had phone bills that were 4 to 8 times the normal.

The thing that really makes me mad is that in the last three months I called VZW and asked how much usage was in Puerto Rico and in Costa Rica (and if they had coverage). They had very limited coverage in CR and had good coverage in Puerto Rico but they ddi not know how much it costed. I rented a phone in Costa Rica (You have to be a citizen of CR to buy a prepaid phone) and did not get charged extra for using both data and phone in Puerto Rico.

Dean

I did that and successfully got my sim unlocked, I do have have a question regarding their warning that if you use another sim card for another carrier it voids your warranty? Isn't that what this phone was made for?
    It is kind of fun to try the impossible.

I believe it probably voids the warranty if you put a different cover on it also. You just put the regular sim back in if you have a problem and deny putting it in. It is not like VZW has never lied to you before!

I pay $150 bucks a month for two phones, they damn well better cover the phone warranty if I put in a SIM. Otherwise, why sell a phone with a SIM in it?

When you look at your sim card it is actually covered by a removable cover that once removed you can't get back on so that is why i am a little concerned about putting in a new sim card.
    It is kind of fun to try the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonpa View Post
    When you look at your sim card it is actually covered by a removable cover that once removed you can't get back on so that is why i am a little concerned about putting in a new sim card.
    It came like that. Make VZW prove otherwise. I cannot guarantee anything but seriously what are the odds of the phone failing when you put in another SIM card. I have put in countless SIM cards and I have had some that dont work but I have never had one brick a phone.

However, if it is that big of deal to you and you do a lot of traveling overseas then I would get an ATT Phone even if prepaid. I hate ATT but they are better for international usage and allow you to swap SIM cards. VZW wants to be able to charge you whatever internation roaming charges they see fit.

The worst part about VZW is they will not be able to tell you the rates for most countries and if they do tell you the rates, they will not know the surcharges for using certain towers.

Dean

Dedicated WINCE\PPC\WM FAN!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonpa View Post
    That's not a removable cover. you push not on the latch that hods the SIM in place and then slide the SIM card out. It's completely removable without breaking a thing.

Yeah JR is right, when you actually take the SIM card out you will realize you dont have to change anything. When you put it back in it looks the exact same. The tape is part of the cover for the SIM slot, not the card itself. Basically that warning is saying do not take the phone apart....

Quote Originally Posted by cstradling24 View Post
    Yeah JR is right, when you actually take the SIM card out you will realize you dont have to change anything. When you put it back in it looks the exact same. The tape is part of the cover for the SIM slot, not the card itself. Basically that warning is saying do not take the phone apart....

Thanks for the info. I never looked at it that closely myself as I have not been anywhere where I need to buy another SIM card yet.

Dean

Just out of curiousity do you guys buy specific prepaid SIM cards? I have been with VZE since it was Airtouch and never had to deal with SIM cards. I know you can buy them here before travelling to say, France. What's the best way? Just buy something when you get off the plane?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbrain View Post
    Just out of curiousity do you guys buy specific prepaid SIM cards? I have been with VZE since it was Airtouch and never had to deal with SIM cards. I know you can buy them here before travelling to say, France. What's the best way? Just buy something when you get off the plane?
    It is ALWAYS CHEAPER to buy the SIM card in the country you are visting. You can usually buy them at airpotes (especially Europe) although you can get better pricess if you search around loocal stores.