+ Reply to Thread

Weather giving wrong location

My weather app is giving the wrong location. I can get the correct location in the maps app using GPS location. It keeps telling me the weather for Fredericksburg....no clue where that is.

hmm...apparently Fredericksburg is a small area near where I am....

Yeah that's kinda what I figured. I do a lot of driving and it updates to what ever city I am by. I actually really like the feature, however, if I didn't travel a lot I wouldn't want it because of the delay while the GPS figures out where I am at.

I noticed that when I leave from where I originally setup my weather it places My location where the name of my city use to be. Haven't found a fix for it, but I'm using the Windows default screen myself.

How do you know what city you are getting for "My Location"? Clearly, it is not showing the correct weather for my actual location, but I don't know what location it thinks is where I am.

This sounds like a software bug. Whose software is it, and how can we report this bug to get it corrected?

I assume it is the correct city because the weather remains the same. I notice that it changes when I leave the area code that I set it up for...as soon as I'm out of the 21804 area code it goes to my location...Luckily the 21801 area code is three miles from my house and is where I work, so when I go to work it jumps right to my location but the temp remains the same. Is it a software bug....*maybe*

I stopped using the HTC weather anyway...I like weather bug mobile better....doesn't look as cool but it gives me three times the information.

Good luck with this though!

Run QuickGPS. That fixed my weather location issue.

Quote Originally Posted by eneltex View Post
    What issue were you having...was it giving you the weather of another town or did it show my locaton or something....could you be a little more speciffic on what issue you were having?

Quote Originally Posted by eneltex View Post
    I've done that. "My Location" seems to be somewhere in Europe as the Sun comes up (and goes down) about 6 hours early, and we just hit the high for the day at 8 am!

I wonder how many people are getting the wrong weather and just aren't noticing.

Before I ran QuickGPS, my weather "location" was incorrect. After running QuickGPS, it is correct.

Cheers.

OK, here's the skinny:

My area is one of the last to finish undergoing the merger of cell phone towers between Alltel and Verizon. Phones broadcast a signal that identifies the provider. Verizon customers have phones that either broadcast a Verizon code, an Alltel code, or a hybrid code.

In areas like mine, phones are set up to send a hybrid code, so both Alltel and Verizon towers can be used. Whenever my phone connects to an Alltel tower, it cannot provide location services well enough for the "My Location" weather feature to work correctly.

Verizon had a problem with customers being able to use VZ Navigator on hybrid-code phones and fixed that one already. The Verizon rep I spoke with said that my problem should be resolved by the end of the year.

For the benefit of anyone else whose "My Location" weather is not working, here is more that I have learned:

Yesterday, I drove around Montgomery, trying to pick up 3G signals. They are few and far between and very ephemeral when found. I found a spot with 3G service, where I could pull off the road and safely surf. I called up the weather page, switched to "My Location," and updated. Sure enough, the words "My Location" changed to "Montgomery," and the weather updated correctly.

This morning, at home, with 1X service, I repeated the experiment. "Montgomery" changed to "My Location," and the weather screwed up immediately.

Verizon either needs to take action to ensure that their 1X subsystem correctly provides location services or hastens the update of towers as a result of the Alltel merger.

Are you listening Verizon?

Wrong Locaton with Googlmap

I have done what was outlined above i.e. activated my WiFi and still no luck. I live in in Ontario, Canada and my location kept coming up in Denver, Colorado! A little off, lol. Then last night I signed up for voice mail with my local carrier. This morning, voila, my location is recognized correctly. If it changes, I will make another post. Whether this has anything to do with it, I don't know. Might be interesting to see if any people with location problems do not have voice mail.

Guys, I live in a small town that I literally have the last house in the town. 95% of the time it gives me my city but 5% of the time it lists the suburb right next to me. That is probably within the norm of GPS accuracy.

As far as knowing the weather where you are, just click the update now and it will poll for your correct location and has always worked for me.

Dean

I am now getting 3G service on my phone in Montgomery. My wife is also (on her Touch Pro 2). We both now consistently get the correct location and weather.

I'd say that the 1X service areas are funky to say the least. When I'm in North Philadelphia the weather defaults to Rivera. When I am home, Sarajevo. I hope these roaming rates are competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve672 View Post
    I have done what was outlined above i.e. activated my WiFi and still no luck. I live in in Ontario, Canada and my location kept coming up in Denver, Colorado! A little off, lol. Then last night I signed up for voice mail with my local carrier. This morning, voila, my location is recognized correctly. If it changes, I will make another post. Whether this has anything to do with it, I don't know. Might be interesting to see if any people with location problems do not have voice mail.
    Thank you so much for the advice. Verizon changed there voicemail box a couple of months ago, and I never set it up because I use my Google Voice, Now that I set it up my location is working again. I never would have guessed that this would be the fix