+ Reply to Thread

On-Demand Standby

I just got my 5800 today after coming from Pocket PC phones, so I'm a new Smartphone user.

One of the things I haven't been able to figure out on this phone is how to go on Standby. With my old Pocket PC phones, all I needed to do was push the power button once to be able to do that.

I'm not finding this option on the 5800. When I press the power button, it goes to some shortcut menu called Quick List. And even here there is no Standby option, just Power Off, which turns the phone completely off, something I am not looking for.

I called VZW Data Tech Support and they were unable to tell me about how to do this either, so it's most likely not an option at all.

Does anybody know of the way to do this, and if it definitely isn't possible through official methods, would anybody know of a registry hack or some other program that would be able to make the phone go on standby when pressing the power button?

it will all depend on your power management options. you should be able to go to:
    start
    setttings
    power management
    in there you will be able to setup the times for how long you want the screen to stay on when using battery or ac power. that is really all you need to worry about. there really is not a standby mode on the smartphone os. if you turn it off, then it is off. so basically once the screen turns off you are in standby.

Go to settings and the last thing should be "Device Lock" or something like that and that will give you some preset times, ie 7 sec, 30 sec and such as to how long you want the phone to wait before it locks. Then you will press any key, then the left softkey for "Unlock" and then the "*" key to unlock the phone. This is the only thing I have found so far that does what you are looking for.
    mlc

I've found that the phone locks automatically when I'm checking voicemail and I have to keep unlocking every 30 seconds. Is there any way to avoid this besides turning off the automatic lock feature all together? The longest default for the automatic lock is 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by mbodon View Post
    I've found that the phone locks automatically when I'm checking voicemail and I have to keep unlocking every 30 seconds. Is there any way to avoid this besides turning off the automatic lock feature all together? The longest default for the automatic lock is 30 seconds.
    I'm with you on this locking thing. I like the lock feature, but trying to carry on a conversation when using the Mute button (conf calls) and the lock feature makes it very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride5C2 View Post
    I'm with you on this locking thing. I like the lock feature, but trying to carry on a conversation when using the Mute button (conf calls) and the lock feature makes it very difficult.
    I turned the lock feature off in DeviceLock.
    Then, it locks after the TimeOut (in HomeScreen within Settings).
    Or, you push the End button for a second or two to lock it.

i agree with h_baden. Turn the auto-lock off. i have also set the display timeout to 5 minutes. if i want the phone to go into standby, then i just press and hold the red call end button until the phone locks and after 5-10 seconds the screen turns off. it was strange for me too, coming from a 6700 device.

Problem that I am having is that even when it is "locked", pressing ANY key will cause the screen to come on - even if it is locked. The case that I bought for it is a wallet-style leather case and it fits a bit too snug. So...the case squeezes the phone, the numeric keypad buttons get pressed, the screen lights up....and the battery dies faster than Fred Thompson's presidential campaign!

It would be REALLY nice if there were a way to make it so that the only button that would relight the screen was the power button (like the 6700).