+ Reply to Thread
    Jed

Anyone Know How to Get Opera Mini Running on SMT5800?

I'm a dope and can't seem to make this happen. Any suggestions?

I've copied the .jad and .jar files onto the phone but I have no real idea how to install them and am wondering if maybe the phone doesn't have java or something...
    Last edited by Jed; 01-29-2008 at 08:16 AM.

awl
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    I'm a dope and can't seem to make this happen. Any suggestions?

I've copied the .jad and .jar files onto the phone but I have no real idea how to install them and am wondering if maybe the phone doesn't have java or something...
    Opera mini is great for certain websites, especially messageboards. There are a couple of steps involved, but nothing too crazy.

Step 1 -- You need to "unlock" the phone by editing the registry. Not as tough or involved as it sounds. Google something like: unlock htc windows mobile smartphone, and you will find a great how to guide for a 621 that worked great on my SMT5800.

Step 2 -- You can now install a java midlet manager which is necessary for Opera Mini (and lots of other sweet programs) to run. I think the one most people prefer, and that worked great for me, is made by Esmertec. If you google something like, esmertec java midlet manager, you will again find one to download that works fine on the SMT5800. Since you have unlocked the phone, you can now install the Esmertec Java Midlet Manager.

Step 3 -- Download Opera Mini to your SMT5800. Install. Open the Esmertec Java Midlet Manager and choose the load Opera Mini program. Browse away!

awl

By the way, here's a link to an excellent blog post that describes exactly how to app-unlock this phone, worked perfectly for me, letting me install the Esmertec Jbed engine and some other things.

How to app unlock your HTC S621 Windows Mobile Smartphone - Simplehelp