+ Reply to Thread

Java MIDlet Managers & Bluetooth

Anyone know of a Java MIDlet Manager that supports communication with Bluetooth devices for WM6? I seem to have hit a brick wall on my searches.

Thanks
    Last edited by Phattooth; 03-02-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Some really extensive info over at xda-developer on this subject... and its looking more and more like the answer is no.
    I'll certainly post back if i find anything for WM6 Smartphone.

None of them support it natively just because of the whole fact the emulator would have to get itself to talk to the com manger.

What Java program do you want to run that has BT support? Just curious if I'll know of any pieces of smartphone software that might do the same thing.

I was trying to adapt an older Java app for Motorola for GPS tracking in realtime on the web via Google maps.
    The project is here:
    SourceForge.net: Screenshots

Java is just a pain in the butt on this phone I've found... and am stepping back a notch and trying to develop the phone side myself... that is unless you know of an app that basically reads the raw NMEA data coming from the GPS and can then upload that data say every 30 sec to a min in an XML format. Actually, the output format isn't that critical, i can adapt the db on the webserver to eat whatever... the main thing is getting something to upload the data in small chunks in realtime.

If you know of anything like this, that would be most excellent!

Thanks Vaxick!

As a side note to all this, for any that are interested in installing Java on this phone. Before i installed it, i had asked another user that i thought would have had it on the phone already from reading his post about another phone here. He now has the SMT5800 as well.

I asked "savedR" this question in a PM:

Quote Originally Posted by Phattooth
    Was just reading the post you made for your i730 and the MIDlet manager you posted there. I have the same phone it looks like you do now, the verizon SMT5800... wondering what kind of success you're having with it on that device, or if you are even using it now?

Thanks for any info you may have!

// Ted

The answer was really good and very thorough... i thought i would post it here for anyone that may have a question about installing MIDlet managers on the SMT5800. I know portions of this "how-to" have been posted before, and the tools used may vary from user to user, but i thought having an explanation of the entire process in one place would be a good idea.

I'm not personally running the manager anymore, as i wanted it for an entirely different app as you can see in the above posts and it didn't work out for that (that however, was for entirely different reasons), but if you wanted to run Opera mini (or Java games, or java whatever)... here you go!

Thank you very much savedR, i know that this will help many interested in Java for this device.

Quote Originally Posted by savedR
    Hi!

You're correct, I do have the Verizon SMT5800 now, and I have tried to use the same Jbed Esmertec midlet manager on it. I am able to use it, and it works, but with two caveats:

1. I had to unlock my phone first, to allow unsigned apps to be installed on it. There's a post on the forum telling how to do this, but basically you need to install a signed cab, then use a registry editor (my favorite is Total Commander, which is free and has many other desirable file management features) to edit two or three keys in the phone registry. Here's the link to the page I found that worked for me, and they have the cab as well:

How to app unlock your HTC S621 Windows Mobile Smartphone - Simplehelp

Go to that page and follow the directions exactly, and it should work like a charm. Only, I used Total Commander to edit the registry, rather than regeditSTG2, just out of personal preference. If you use TC, you should know that it abbreviates the four main Registry folders, so the first folder you go to isn't "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" but "HKLM", making the path "HKLM/Security/Policies/Policies". Also, the last step says to change the value of key 00001017 to 144 if it's not that already, but on my phone that was already set, which is fine.

2. There are some odd rendering bugs with Jbed on this phone, specifically that sometimes the bottom 10-15% of the screen is not rendered. I can't figure out why, it looks weird; you can see your home screen's wallpaper underneath it instead of the normal white background in the applet list. Also, I've found that Gmail's java app has the same effect, which unfortunately makes it hard to navigate that app's menus; the bottom two lines or so in every menu (and the softkey references) on the bottom of the screen are always obscured. If you know the keyboard shortcuts, you can still get around it, but most of the time I just visit gmail.com on the built-in IE.

Note that, for some reason, Opera Mini (newest version, Pocket PC generic) and Widsets work perfectly, I never see the missing-screen effect. They fill the screen up right, you can see the softkeys, everything about them seems to work great; they're still pretty fast too, almost as fast as on the i730 (not bad for a smartphone with a slower processor and a newer, bigger OS).

So, to sum up, YES, the midlet manager works on this phone! However, the Gmail app (and others, probably) doesn't work well, and you'll have to app-unlock the phone to get it installed.

(Also note, I installed Jbed to the main phone memory; I'm not even sure it'll work when installed to a storage card.)

One really sweet thing about this whole setup is that, when you install the Esmertec Jbed manager, it seems to tightly integrate with Internet Explorer, to the point that when you click on a link to download a .jar (or .jad?) file, Esmertec will automatically open, download and install the program! So awesome.

Just think, this is what people with Cingular phones experience with no hassle!
    Last edited by Phattooth; 03-04-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Ha, yep, there isn't a single program out there that would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    Ha, yep, there isn't a single program out there that would do that.
    Yeah... thats pretty much what i'm finding as well. bummer

This program completely slipped my mind. PerDiemCo Location and Tracking. Not sure it has everything you are looking for though, but it's free at the least.

Perdiemco