+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    finally a great device...Touch Pro2 mknollman's Avatar

TP2 Unlocker now available!! - To Flash or not to flash?

So, I have to say I am happier with the stock rom on this TP2 than I have ever been with any other phone. In the past, unlocking and flashing a custom rom was a necessity to get rid of the VZW crap and make my device actually function as intended. This device works well out of the box, but there are some pretty slick interface updates in winmo 6.5.1 - So, what do you guys think? Are you flashing or sticking with stock.

PS - If anyone is wondering, the rom I would flash would be by ssk - if you want to check it out go to sskusers.net - I have used his roms on my last 2 phone and they are great.

I flashed my Verizon TP2. I wanted to be able to find a Rom that strips away some of the junk software that comes with the stock Rom. I also wanted WinMo 6.5 and the new version of Touch FLo. Flashing was seamless and only took a few seconds using my laptop running Win7. I went with MightyRom, it runs well and the only hiccup was getting MMS up.

I say flash, its worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by xKravinx View Post
    I flashed my Verizon TP2. I wanted to be able to find a Rom that strips away some of the junk software that comes with the stock Rom. I also wanted WinMo 6.5 and the new version of Touch FLo. Flashing was seamless and only took a few seconds using my laptop running Win7. I went with MightyRom, it runs well and the only hiccup was getting MMS up.

I say flash, its worth it!
    I agree. I also flashed with the MightyRom (very lightweight). I made sure to install all of the additional cabs in Mights instructions for Verizon. The only issue I have is that the Symbol button is not mapped properly but is is not a big deal with all the benefits 6.5 offers. The following is a link to MightRom instructions on PPCGeeks. Enjoy

║ROM║ ◊●.║MightyROM RhodiumW║.●◊ ║MightyROM.com║ - PPCGeeks

I'm still happy with stock. VZW didn't cripple much on this unit from what I can tell. I'm not even sure I want 6.5. Maybe in a few months in the winter when I'm looking for something new to play with.

I know I am not really interested in 6.5 much from what I have read so far. It seems the only REAL differences are titanium home screen (dont like it), and newer version of PIE (dont use it). What I find compelling are some of the UI enhancements I have been seeing in screen shots of 6.5.1 - when I find that available I think I will be jumping.

I will still be cruising the forums for something that makes me wanna go for it, but for now I am waiting.

@the above guys who flashed - what made you want to do it and what do you see in 6.5 that you like? I was a flashing fiend in the past and probably will be again. I am just curious on the specific improvements you saw, be it in the specific rom you chose, or the new OS version. Thanks.

I flashed Mighty's 6.5 ROM. I think the weather animations in the new TF3D are very cool. He also includes the HTC wifi router program integrated into the com manager. Seems a bit faster than the stock rom. The revert to home screen issue with the pin lock is solved as is the revert to home screen problem after the proximity sensor blanks the screen. There are probably cabs for all this but I gave up on TF3D early on and went to SPB Mobile Shell because of it. I also had an issue with not getting notification of incoming email when set to vibrate with the stock rom and could never figure it out but it works now. All in all I'm not seeing a tremendous improvement in any one thing but there's a number of tiny things that pop out at you that are nice. Opera seems to work a bit better. And I was bored with the stock rom anyway.

Loaded Mighty Rom and all the different cabs that are optional and have been liking this a lot so far. Prior to this I had ran the TP2 cleanup cab and then downloaded the wifi sharing program and it worked really well. I was worried about the VZW official Rom being slow and got tired of waiting and happy with the decision so far.

I love the SSK ROMs. Scott does GREAT work, and his kitchens are unbeatable!! You guys should check out his work if you havent already, or didnt know that he has his own site now Touch Pro 2 - Support Forums
    As far as anyone else, NRG's "Energy" ROMs are also VERY nice and run very well!! This is the Photon ROM which is the most stable at the moment |CRP|6.5.1|ROM|WWE| ★ EnergyROM "Photon" (23081/21864) ★ Weatherclock Manila 2.1 ★ - PPCGeeks

Question, when flashing the phone with a new ROM, does the 'device id' change? I've got a couple apps that are registered on the device id and I remember when I upgraded my i760 from 6.0 to 6.1 it changed it. Will that also be the case here? Hate having to send begging emails to the vendors to get new regcodes.

--Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    Question, when flashing the phone with a new ROM, does the 'device id' change? I've got a couple apps that are registered on the device id and I remember when I upgraded my i760 from 6.0 to 6.1 it changed it. Will that also be the case here? Hate having to send begging emails to the vendors to get new regcodes.

--Chris
    This will depend on the application. I use agile mobile for im and I didn't have to reregister the application after I flashed the phone. But when up upgraded from 6.0 to 6.1 on my i760 I had to contact them and reregister the application because it generated a different registration code for the phone after the upgrade.

I would guess yes, as you will most likely be upgrading to winmo 6.5

I have been running the NRG Photon 23081 build for the week. After the nov 3rd build MMS is working. There are some hicups but the interface improvements in 6.5.1 are enough that I put up with the occasional program not closing correctly. -T

WOW - just flashed the SSK 3.0 rom that is winmo 6.5.1 - it looks fantastic. Still installed cabs and stuff, but will update with what I find good or bad. So far it is great (for and hour). I trust Scott as he cooks only the best.

I had a problem with the FN Key on Verizon

I have just bought a Touch Pro 2 from eBay unfortunately its network locked to TMobile, it requires a PUK code to use my SIM (which I dont have), if I reflash the ROM can I start using the phone without having to insert a PUK code?

I am still going stong with winmo 6.5.1 - and I love it. Microsoft finally got the UI righ, and the changes arent only skin deep. I will post some screen shots when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by mknollman View Post
    I am still going stong with winmo 6.5.1 - and I love it. Microsoft finally got the UI righ, and the changes arent only skin deep. I will post some screen shots when I get the chance.
    How did you get the FN key to work on VZW? I tried downloading the Mighty ROM Verizon update, but no luck. I then installed the entire Mighty ROM flash, which does work, but is apparently not 6.5.1.

Give this a shot for your keyboard issues.

Sorry the file wouldnt attach, try this instead:

TP2 Keyboard Fix

Wow, I am fully annoyed at this forum now. Nothing is working and when I try to edit a post it locks up my browser on 2 different PC's now. Last try then I give up. The last post will work, but you have to sign up for SSKUSERS site first. I would suggest you do this but if you dont want to I am trying to attach the file. Wouldnt attach a cab, so I am trying zipping it. Hope this works.
    Attached Files