+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My questions

Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar

My questions

Quick background - Kyocera 6035 (Palm) to Sprint PPC-6601 (Windows Smartphone) to Sprint 6700 (Windows Mobile 5). Been with Sprint nearly 8 years, since I started at Boeing a LONG time ago. But recently bought my first place, and coverage at the new house is bad. I'm dropping calls 2-3 times to speak with one person. So something needs to change...

Been trying to decide if I switch to a Nextel phone, or pay $175 cancel fees and get out of my Sprint contract. Leaning toward the later, but have a few questions for 8525 users:

1) Are you paying $20 / month for unlimited internet?

2) Are you able to click on Bluetooth devices on the 8525 and click "connect" when they aren't connected? (Something my 6601 did that I really appreciated, but my 6700 doesn't.)

3) Are you able to may temporary connections to VPN networks through the Pocket PC? (I occasionally use my Internet Connection with Sprint to clock in and out at work when I'm on the road. Don't want to use my laptop with the "unlimited" internet for hours at a time.)

4) Any other thoughts about good vs bad with the 8525 vs. other Pocket PC's?

I like the idea of the 2MP camera, Unlimited Internet, and a similar price to what I'm paying with Sprint now. Would LOVE to keep my Nationwide Volume Discount I get through Boeing, but I won't hold my breath.

If there are any serious upsides or downsides to the 8525 that you could share before I do anything... I'd sure appreciate it!
    Cingular 8525 with Black 3.0.1 ROM (WM6)
    Paired: Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo w/ audio streaming, it's AWESOME!), i.Trek GPS w/ i.Guidence software, a few PC's

Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar
    Think I have answers to my own questions between calling Cingular and speaking with a buddy who just got a blackjack about a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by merkman
    1) Are you paying $20 / month for unlimited internet?
    Sounds like while the Blackjack has the $20 plan, the 8525 has the $40 plan. I told the gentleman I purchased from I would buy the 8525 *if* I could get the unlimited Interent for $20/month. He told me I could do this, but I'd have to add it later. Not convinced, I asked him to add comments to my purchase about getting the data rate for less. I explained I do NOT want to have to exchange the phone later in order to get Internet for $20/month. He was sure it wouldn't be a problem, and indicated the comments were there to make customer service happy. We will see...

2) Are you able to click on Bluetooth devices on the 8525 and click "connect" when they aren't connected? (Something my 6601 did that I really appreciated, but my 6700 doesn't.)
    Still not sure about this. Anyone understand what I'm talking about and can comment?

3) Are you able to may temporary connections to VPN networks through the Pocket PC? (I occasionally use my Internet Connection with Sprint to clock in and out at work when I'm on the road. Don't want to use my laptop with the "unlimited" internet for hours at a time.)
    Sounds like my buddy can do this with his blackjack, so the 8525 should be able to as well.

4) Any other thoughts about good vs bad with the 8525 vs. other Pocket PC's?

I like the idea of the 2MP camera, Unlimited Internet, and a similar price to what I'm paying with Sprint now. Would LOVE to keep my Nationwide Volume Discount I get through Boeing, but I won't hold my breath.
    Planning on giving up my discount, but adding this phone to my Dad's FamilyPlan. As a result, calls between family will be free with us all on Cingular, and many co-workers have it as well. So I'll use a few minutes a month, pay $9.95 for the extra line, $5.00 for 200 text messages, and $20 for the unlimited Internet and I should be golden. Just gotta cancel with Sprint after I get the new phone and I'm activated. I guess $175 cancellation fee and I'm free.
    Cingular 8525 with Black 3.0.1 ROM (WM6)
    Paired: Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo w/ audio streaming, it's AWESOME!), i.Trek GPS w/ i.Guidence software, a few PC's

Sounds like while the Blackjack has the $20 plan, the 8525 has the $40 plan.
    Both phones are *supposed* to have the $40 plan. I have an 8525 on the $40 plan, and my wife's Blackjack is on the $20 plan (which includes 200 text messages). The difference for me is in how much data is used. I used >2GB a month, and my wife uses 100MB.[/QUOTE]

I made the switch from Sprint in November and am very glad I did. Service is MUCH better in my area, and data speeds are better for me. The 8525 was a natural progression from the 6700, and although it's just slightly thinner, it feels MUCH thinner in the hand. The jog wheel is invaluable, and overall it's just better.
    iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 on Sprint ..:.. crappy work phone