+ Reply to Thread
    Converged

Looking for i700 users to test Express Network call tracking feature

We have implemented an express network call tracking feature that allows your data calls to be counted as part of your voice minutes. Many i700 users had been asking for this feature. If you are interested in beta testing this feature, please Private Message me with your email address and I will send you the program to install.

Thanks,
    Hudson Mobile
    Hudson Mobile Technologies, LLC
    Software for Networked Devices
    www.hudsonmobile.com

I just d/l the latest version and will try it out tomorrow to see how it goes, but it looks good so far.
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.

While you're in a beta test for a new version, I have a feature request that I think will improve the pending upgrade.

I love the new M2M view, but I've noticed that my monthly minutes INCLUDES my M2M minutes. At this point I am simply subtracting my monthly minutes from my M2M minutes to get the peak minutes. Instead of (or in addition to) having a Monthly Minutes view, can you implement a Peak Minutes view?

I think combining this feature with the Express Network Call Tracking feature would finally get me a more accurate estimation! Thanks for all your work in supporting this quite esssential app.

I would be happy to beta test a version that includes this.
    Last edited by JohnTheBaton; 03-22-2004 at 03:54 PM.

Converged
    John -

The "Unbilled Usage" view gives you your peak minutes view. The Monthly minutes view includes all buckets. One option for you is to disable the Monthly Minutes view and simply show the Unbilled Usage and M2M views on your today screen -- this will keep them separate for you.

For those who want to test the Express Network tracking feature with performance improvements, it is at

http://www.hudsonmobile.com/d/

then download phodash_setup.exe

Regards,
    Hudson Mobile Support
    www.hudsonmobile.com

Thanks! Don't know how I missed that.

Born Again Convergin ChrisSpera's Avatar
    Noah,

is this the same version that's on Handango?
    Kind Regards,
    Christopher Spera
    Gear Diary Review Team

Noah,

I HAVE to be missing something... How does one get to the EN tracking features..? When I sort the call log by number, the EN number doesn't show up in the log. You'd think that the number would be recorded in the log...

I would also think that the EN number would show up in the Usage Graph, too. Wouldn't you..?
    Last edited by ChrisSpera; 03-24-2004 at 04:38 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    Christopher Spera
    Gear Diary Review Team

Converged
    You have to turn the feature on -- many people don't have their data calls count against their voice minutes (i.e. everyone on T-Mobile) -- go to Plan | Advanced, and then check the "Count data calls in minutes feature" - see how it goes from there...

-noah
    www.hudsonmobile.com

We don't either, Noah. EN has its own data plan that is counted by either MB or unlimited...; OR counted as used minutes as part of your voice plan.

I'd say its split down the middle with people having data plans (but still needing to know how much data they are pulling/ pushing) and voice plans (number of minutes).

I have a 5MB data plan. there has to be a way to read data from the DataCallState Today Plug-In to see how much data is being pulled/pushed in every call... don't you think?
    Kind Regards,
    Christopher Spera
    Gear Diary Review Team

I've been using the beta version for about a week now, and it has worked flawlessly so far. No more lags or soft resets, and Express Network minutes are being counted. Nice job!

There is one thing I noticed. When I use the i700 as a wireless modem for my laptop, these EN minutes are NOT being counted. I wonder if it has to do with switching the settings/system/USB connection from 'Active Sync' to 'External Data Call.' I'm thinking about cancelling my land line and just using my phone as a modem, so this would be a nice feature to have.

I also realized that the new 'IN-Network Calling' feature that is replacing M2M is messing up my accuracy. It allows free unlimited calling to anyone on the Verizon network. I can enter the people I call on VZW into the Free bucket, but I wonder if the i700 knows if it's calling inside vs. outside it's network? In that case you could simply add a check-box for in-network users.

we aren't out of the woods yet...unfortunately.

I had to do a hard reset the other day. The device got very unstable and then completely froze on me. The only way out was a HR; which was a pain; but not too bad. I am backing up my call log (\Program Files\Phone Dashboard... You'll need all the text files in that directory) and was able to recover everything so PD was able to pick up where I left off.

However, I am also experiencing occasional spontanious SOFT resets when I tap <--> to CLOSE the expanded display.
    Kind Regards,
    Christopher Spera
    Gear Diary Review Team

Converged
    Lots of good issues being raised -- to hit them in order:

1) Tracking Data Usage by MB: That's what our other product, IP Dashboard does!!!

2) Not counting EN Minutes when used from laptop connection: Good catch -- the connection must be showing up as USB somehow and not getting counted. I will look into this.

3) Automatically detecting in-network calls: Unfortunately, in these days of number portability, this cannot be done. There are some interesting ideas floating around on having contact groups of "VzW buddies" and having the program pick up calls to the "m" number of these buddies

4) Better performance/stability with Beta: I think almost everyone trying the Beta has written in to me to say that things are much improved. Chris still has some issues, though -- addressed below:

5) Soft Reset when closing Expanded Display: I believe this only occurs when Phone Dashboard is run from within Snoopsoft Dashboard -- we had a similar problem with IP Dashboard (enough Dashboards for you? ) I know what the fix is and will try and work it into the next minor release. Chris - you are running the product from within Snoopsoft, right?

6) Performance problems/slowness after calls: While lags after calls are completed for many of you will be much better / all fixed, if you have a lot of M2M entries and a lot of call log records in the current billing cycle, it can still take time and slow down the device. I know what the issue is here and should be able to fix it in the next minor release.

Whew - that is it for now - please keep the feedback coming...
    www.hudsonmobile.com

Originally posted by hudsonmobile

3) Automatically detecting in-network calls: Unfortunately, in these days of number portability, this cannot be done. There are some interesting ideas floating around on having contact groups of "VzW buddies" and having the program pick up calls to the "m" number of these buddies.
    This might work. As long as we can use a Category within Contacts, and specify one or more as In-Network , this will work well...

4) Better performance/stability with Beta: I think almost everyone trying the Beta has written in to me to say that things are much improved. Chris still has some issues, though -- addressed below:
    Generally, things are better... Good Job, Noah!

5) Soft Reset when closing Expanded Display: I believe this only occurs when Phone Dashboard is run from within Snoopsoft Dashboard -- we had a similar problem with IP Dashboard (enough Dashboards for you? ) I know what the fix is and will try and work it into the next minor release. Chris - you are running the product from within Snoopsoft, right?
    Yes. I am using Snoopsoft Dashboard...

6) Performance problems/slowness after calls: While lags after calls are completed for many of you will be much better / all fixed, if you have a lot of M2M entries and a lot of call log records in the current billing cycle, it can still take time and slow down the device. I know what the issue is here and should be able to fix it in the next minor release.
    Cool! We'll be on the look out for a new release. when do you think it will be ready?
    Kind Regards,
    Christopher Spera
    Gear Diary Review Team

Converged
    Cool! We'll be on the look out for a new release. when do you think it will be ready? [/B]
    Unfortunately, not for a couple weeks, I am on the road and away from the development machine -- probably mid-April.
    www.hudsonmobile.com

Incorrect data minutes

Phone Dashboard isn't counting my data minutes correctly when I do a Wireless Sync. The sync takes about 5 minutes. After it's done I turn the i700 off. Once I get to work I connect it to my PC.
    When I checked the number of minutes used, it was 189.

This is the second time I've noticed the incorrect minutes being counted. Last month is said something like 120 after 1 Wireless Sync. I checked my Verizon statement and the total for the month was about 70.

Any idea why the count is so high?

Converged
    I have an idea why this might happen - one other user has reported a similar thing happened to her once.

In the current version, PD checks to see if the data connection is still active every 10 seconds or so (using a completely different mechanism than the call log on the phone -- data calls do not show up in the call log), and then when the connection goes away, it logs a "fake" call record in the Phone Dashboard-maintained logs.

If you turn your i700 off before the 10 second polling time, when you turn the device on again hours later, the program may think you are still on the call -- and create a call record for the data call that is really long.

So, in the short term, the workaround is to wait a bit for your device to turn off after the data call. We will look into making this more foolproof -- however, there could be situations where someone makes a really long data call -- so you have to be careful.
    www.hudsonmobile.com